Band: The Arcade Fire

Postby Angry_Dragon on Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:20 am

NOT CRAP
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby connor on Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:04 pm

I wanted to dislike this band. Then a friend of mine force-fed me some of their mp3s.

I did not dislike what I heard.

NOT CRAP.

Heavy waffle factor.
connor
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Noah on Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:05 pm

Crap with a vengence

-Noah
your an idiot
Noah
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby mattw on Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:21 pm

I liked "Neighborhood # 3- Lights Out" or whatever it's called

I find myself saying that a lot lately- "that one song is good, but..."

The album format as a whole is dead- most bands want to get a few good singles out there and that's about it. The Arcade Fire seem to be sufficient evidence for this, as the few other songs I've heard from that LP are mediocre at best
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby shagboy on Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:24 pm

100% not crap from me. their live show is very good.
shagboy
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby prockwell on Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:15 pm

I like the record. Some of it is too..er, um...theatric maybe. I'd like to see them live.

n/c
prockwell
complete piece of shit
complete piece of shit

Postby gio on Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:01 pm

Funeral is not crap. It is not economical, by any stretch of the imagination, but it is certainly not crap.

Now as for that xmas record...
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Jeremy on Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:13 pm

boring.
Jeremy
retail therapist
retail therapist

Re: ...

Postby shagboy on Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:07 pm

gio wrote:Now as for that xmas record...

do you know what the xmas record was? it was a christmas party at the arcade fire people house two years ago at which many attendees decided to record christmas songs. it's not even the band this thread is about doing the songs, by any stretch of the imagination...
shagboy
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby gio on Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:16 pm

shagboy wrote:

do you know what the xmas record was? it was a christmas party at the arcade fire people house two years ago at which many attendees decided to record christmas songs. it's not even the band this thread is about doing the songs, by any stretch of the imagination...

Actually, i've never heard it, hence the ellipses. it just seemed like a silly idea, which apparently it was (to release). Bear in mind, i'm not recanting: I'll back up my n/c vote by saying this band is a great example of young creative musical folks being young and creative and musical. In fact, in light of the hipness-craptitude that threatens 'indie rock' (see Bradley's rant on some band called The Killers) an absurd xmas record is pretty refreshing.
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Redline on Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:55 pm

Bruce Springsteen
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby MattPeterson on Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:20 pm

I'll vote Crap.

Last fall I worked in this "office" related to the NYC indie rock music INDUSTRY, and they put that album on ALL the time.

They're a okay/good band, with an okay/good record, but are they great, or amazing, or "saviors" of something? No. And it pisses me off that hipster and industry types each this shit up.

They are perhaps the most overrated band of the last 12 months, and for that I'll give them CRAP.
MattPeterson
secretary of state
secretary of state

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:48 pm

MattPeterson wrote:I'll vote Crap.

Last fall I worked in this "office" related to the NYC indie rock music INDUSTRY, and they put that album on ALL the time.

They're a okay/good band, with an okay/good record, but are they great, or amazing, or "saviors" of something? No. And it pisses me off that hipster and industry types each this shit up.

They are perhaps the most overrated band of the last 12 months, and for that I'll give them CRAP.

freshest NY-music-industry-employee-lawyer-guy recommendation, circa today, is a band called Bloc Party. were you inundated with Franz Ferdinand too, or was that already too mainstream when you were working there?

i wanna know what the deal is with this Muse video i keep seeing on M2... first it came out a while ago and had no album listed, no label listed, no director... just the band name and the song name. now they're showing a new video, and it's fancied up a little, has a director, a label, all that. but how come the only place i've ever heard of these guys is on M2?
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby gio on Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:50 pm

MattPeterson wrote:I'll vote Crap.

I don't know where to begin pointing out the what's wrong with this 'critique."

nevertheless...

1. Just because "industry types" each them up (sic) doesn't make them crap. Did industry types make the music? No. the music was made in some barn in New England.
2. The record came out in September. Yes, there was a ton of immediate hype. Note that said hype has nothing to do with outfits or hairdos or colored fingernails, much less middle-to-large record label fanfare.
3. The record, it is a good and honest record. Hype be damned. We'll see how they handle it. September.

But to your credit, I understand how irritating it can be to hear something over and over against your will. I first experienced this as an early pubescent lad when Green Day hit the radio. The memory of Dookie tunes alone still conjures memories of bumbling awkwardness and inexplicable boners.

Hate away, everyone. I'll fight to the teeth.
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby shagboy on Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:41 am

i was just going to say... how can you judge a band by the hype they receive? should i vote crap on slint just because a lot of people here like them? (HAHAHA!)

i think they're making genuine music and putting their heart into it, and it happens to have struck a chord with a lot of people (apologies for the heavy dose of cliche). go see them play, and listen to their album. don't vote based on the obnoxious dick who tried to pour them down your throat.

you can still vote crap if you dislike them, but it doesn't even sound like you do.
shagboy
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby kerble on Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:31 am

shagboy wrote:

Part of the problem of this thing is that last bastion of integrity, pitchfork had erroneously stated that that "Arcade Fire Christmas" was in fact them. It was not. Pitchfork recanted the error in a half ass way, yet has managed to remove that bit of evidence (I searched for it) from their site since they did the new revamping.

I know they're fish in a barrel, but c'mon, they totally slagged the band for it and only made a quiet half-assed apology for skewering them.

anyway:

ago, kerble wrote:
ago, mattw wrote:I think the Arcade Fire are 04's answer to Interpol. What a horribly overrated band.

Have you seen them live yet? I thought the album was 'okay' until I caught their live show. It was brilliant. One of the best shows I've seen in years. I've never seen that many (7) people in a band where all of them were rocking out the most. The instrument switching and the reckless abandon they played with were thrilling.

I mean, there was a physical altercation (humorous) between the guitarist/singer and the keyboard/percussion dude that happened during the first song and all this shit got knocked down, yet the song kept roaring along anyway even as instruments dropped out.

They did the songs with a lot of nuts and it sounded great. They really won over the crowd over the course of the set, too. In chicago, people often just fold their arms and frown, but people actually let loose and were singing along and dancing and shit, all the way to the back.

I give them a thumbs up live.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby gio on Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:45 am

kerble wrote:
shagboy wrote:

Part of the problem of this thing is that last bastion of integrity, pitchfork had erroneously stated that that "Arcade Fire Christmas" was in fact them. It was not. Pitchfork recanted the error in a half ass way, yet has managed to remove that bit of evidence (I searched for it) from their site since they did the new revamping.
[/quote]

I've been wanged by faulty journalism! I'm so glad I hadn't written something more definitive.

I'm sorry I missed them, but they'll be back. At least I had a consolation prize, seeing Camper Van Halen in Madrid.
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby MattPeterson on Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:43 am

I'm not voting CRAP solely because the hype exists, but more so because it over-rates and over-states the quality and importance of this band. In reference to this context in which I heard the record, I'd say it is CRAP. (granted, there are two options in this poll - I don't hate the band)

And part of this hype issue isn't that, "a lot of people like the record, so they talk about it", it's that the NY lawyer type indie industry fucks LOVE this shit, and love to talk about it, and be "in the know", blah blah blah. With Slint I believe, maybe I'm wrong, that people just really love the records, and they're really important to people. With this I think people like TALKING about the record.

I'd say this band is also incredibly "safe", which lends itself to the above.
MattPeterson
secretary of state
secretary of state

save us from this crap

Postby BadComrade on Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:17 pm

If you saw this crap on Conan last night, I feel for you buddy. I say this because I assume that your stomach instantaneously launched its contents straight up your esophagus, out of your mouth, and right on to your tv screen to try and shield your eyes from having to witness such crap, as mine did. Scared the fuck out of my cat, let me tell you.

I seriously don't think I've ever seen such a collection of pretentious art school fucks on one stage at the same time. OK, well... maybe that one time when I saw Godspeed you Black Cocksucker open for Silkworm at the Empty Bottle where they decided to play like 20 minutes longer than they were supposed to, thus cutting in to Silkworm's time. Never before had I seen so many people *so* in to their own crap as to have the nerve to actually believe that the crap they were producing was more important than another bands full time slot. Personally I was a bit disappointed when Tim or Andy didn't kick them in the nuts. I think I remember Tim being very pissed off that night when he took to the stage, and myself standing in the audience with clenched fists, hoping he'd tell us that he had in fact kicked somone from that worthless band in the nuts backstage. But I digress.

So anyway... The 2 guys in the Arcade Fire that were wearing motorcycle helmets and playing "percussion" (and each others heads)... they deserve a good kick in the nuts as well for trying to be clever. If they were clever, they would have poked the singer with the greasy Crispin Glover hair in the ear a few times with their drum sticks. That might take them off the list for a good crack in the nuts. It's obvious by the way he dresses that he's dying to leave their crap band and become the 5th member of Interpol. They'd realize that if they were indeed clever. What a couple of jerk offs.

I won't even get in to the "hand socks" the violinist (probably actually a viola, just so she can correct people who say she plays a violin) was wearing. Those are as bad as the shit Black Oak Arkansas used to wear on stage when they were on the television. ACTUALLY, I think it was the accordian player that had the hand socks. Either way, they all looked a hot mess.

Bands like this (bands everyone raves about... "oh, you HAVE to hear the new Postal Service CD!") are exactly the reason why I don't go out of my way to try and discover new music.

This kind of shit just depresses me and makes me wonder if there's ever going to be another really good era with a ton of great bands.

No wonder why we're all happy Slint are getting back together.
Last edited by BadComrade on Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby kerble on Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:27 pm

I think their music is extremely derivative, but I enjoy it all the same. Talking heads, Modest Mouse, Springsteen, D. byrne, et. al. are all liberally pilfered from.

I always keep in mind that they're a bunch of kids (21-24 I think) making their first record, getting picked up by merge and touring the country because people (and it's not just critics) felt the record (regardless of hype-after the hype, if the songs are no good, it doesn't last--OKGO, anyone?).

Tell me you wouldn't love to be some 22 year old kid rocking every night. They're fucking canadian, so making fun of their fashion sense is moot. plus, seeing something on conan isn't really a good litmus test for the quality of a live band.

Anyway, even though I'm in the minority on this one according to the poll, I'll call haters for a dislike of anything outside the music.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap