not since 1989

-noah
your an idiot
Noah
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Okay...

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:59 am

so I like 'You're Living All Over Me' as much as the next guy, but I don't understand why sleepy, Neil Young-ish vocals and soloing out the ass has garnered Mascis such a commanding rep--I mean, why him and not Cris Kirkwood? Mascis has been churning out the same old shit for years, and if he didn't play at such debilitating volume, people might hang around long enough to notice how fucking boring he is live. Why aren't all you hippie haters running after this guy with a lynch-rope? I blame him for the whole let's-act-like-we-just-woke-up-from-a-nap, anti-showmanship school of performance that is ruining rock music. He is the enemy.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re: Okay...

Postby Seaside Lounge on Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:59 am

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:I don't understand why sleepy, Neil Young-ish vocals and soloing out the ass has garnered Mascis such a commanding rep

The songs, man! It's the songs!
Seaside Lounge
carter family
carter family

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:03 pm

I don't think J. Mascis has a "commanding rep" anymore.

You could look at him and see tremendous potential. He had a lot of the elements that could make a great rock artist. He just hasn't lived up to it.

Dinosaur/Dinosaur Jr. is N/C.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby RBoyer on Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:23 pm

the only thing crap about 'em is the fact that their CDs are still out of print (though this will be resolved in early 2005, if rumor holds true).

n/c.
RBoyer
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby mooliachi on Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:36 am

I believe it was 1988. I was on acid, sitting alone in my '82 Accord with the seat tilted back, looking at the stars through the sun roof, listening to 'You're Living All Over Me' at max volume , feeling something I cannot describe...but that night I identified with Mascis on an emotional level that has been duplicated none times since, and thought that was the greatest album ever made..

yes, you may say it was the drug, but when I saw them a couple years later I had almost the same feeling. So loud, with such beautiful wankery.

Bug has more than a couple good moments, (except for the first song, which should be banned) but on that night man, I had a great ride.

as teenager - not crap
as growing up man - crap
mooliachi
bocce bowler
bocce bowler

Postby ginandtacos.com on Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:04 pm

Very NC, but unfortunately J Mascis seems like an incredibly unpleasant person. I very much doubt I would enjoy hanging around him. My brief experience with him reinforced his reputation as a grunting, monosyllabic gorilla.
ginandtacos.com
wayne thiebaud
wayne thiebaud

Postby Wernehm_Zackariaah on Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:45 pm

Not crap. I still go to his solo acoustic guitar shows. "You're Living All Over Me" is one of my all time favorite albums. Even if I didn't like this, the influence Dino Jr. has had on so many others is tremendous. J. Mascis was a punk rocker who wasn't afraid to indulge in guitar solos, at a time when it just wasn't fashionable. The lo-fi-ness was also influential. His vocal stylings are also quite unique (although, I swear, if you listen to "Carpet Crawlers" on Genesis' LLDOB, it sounds like J. Mascis is singing! It would not surprise me if he listened to Genesis, because I know for a fact he is a fan of other classic progressive rock. But this could be entirely coincidental).

I feel that as time went on, the material started to get weak...

I bought the J Mascis + The Fog album "More Light". It's OK, but nothing like YLAOM.

I'll still see him live, if he ever plays a show. I saw a show where he did an acoustic set, and then played with Cobra Verde, but the latter set didn't really get me on board. It lacked the oddness and uniqueness that Dinosaur Jr. had. It sounded like too many bands I've already heard...
I wrote:lots and lots of stupid, mean-spirited stuff.
Wernehm_Zackariaah
ollie
ollie

Re: Okay...

Postby Wernehm_Zackariaah on Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:04 am

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:so I like 'You're Living All Over Me' as much as the next guy, but I don't understand why sleepy, Neil Young-ish vocals and soloing out the ass has garnered Mascis such a commanding rep--I mean, why him and not Cris Kirkwood? Mascis has been churning out the same old shit for years, and if he didn't play at such debilitating volume, people might hang around long enough to notice how fucking boring he is live. Why aren't all you hippie haters running after this guy with a lynch-rope? I blame him for the whole let's-act-like-we-just-woke-up-from-a-nap, anti-showmanship school of performance that is ruining rock music. He is the enemy.

I dunno. I've seen some Dino Jr. shows where he went pretty crazy... If you've seen "1991..." he's going crazy on that one too. He doesn't just sit around. I fuckin loved seeing them in the late 80's/early 90's.

I also loved Das Damen at this time. Contemporaries of Dino Jr., in the "loud psychedelic rock" vein... I still like Triskaidekaphobie... Both the Das Damen and Present albums of that name are good. (OK, the Present one is much much better)

Never could get into Meat Puppets. Tried very hard. They're much different. They're more like country music and hippy music. I was told I should like them, but I couldn't...

I don't think Joseph is a hippy. Listening to Deep Purple doesn't make you a hippie. His music is not hippy music.
I wrote:lots and lots of stupid, mean-spirited stuff.
Wernehm_Zackariaah
ollie
ollie

Postby punch_the_lion on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:33 pm

I''m gradually changing my opinion on this band, having bought the reissue of Your Living All Over Me. Previously, I was only familiar with the 90's stuff because of their association with Sonic Youth. The Barlow years easily blow these albums away. Mascis brings back the archaic notion of the "solo" in a pre grunge era, must have been refreshing in 87 and listening to it, the album doesn't sound dated. Catchy, melodic hooks, great songs. I can't wait to see them next month with Dead Meadow and Priestess opening.

Not Crap.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby punch_the_lion on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:38 pm

Maybe it's just me but "Jay" from the Kevin Smith movies somewhat resembles a young J. Mascis except for the blond hair.
punch_the_lion

Postby Champion Rabbit on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:40 pm

CRAP.
Going down the only road I've ever known.
Champion Rabbit
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Hour_of_the_Wolf on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:44 pm

Champion Rabbit wrote:CRAP.

Nah, Not Crap. Mascis guitar on "The Lung" awesome.

Now the Mascis solo albums...
Hour_of_the_Wolf
total piece of shit
total piece of shit

Postby nathan. on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:39 pm

I just bought the reissue of "Bug" on a lark the other day, and I thought the added song "Keep the Glove" was really cool. It has this Smiths-like feel to it, then fuses it with Dinosaur's usual explosion of distortion at the end. I can't remember any song that's done that sort of thing as well in awhile.

Not crap.
nathan.
doctor hook
doctor hook

Postby tommydski on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:08 pm

one terrific album (ylaom) and one good album (bug) makes d.jr not crap in my books. j mascis isn't really a bad guy as suggested above. i take it it's a reference to his treatment of murph and lou when he was much younger. i think if i sat in a tour van for months with lou barlow i'd want to kick his ass eventually too.

i'm going to ignore the fact that they've reformed just as i have with the pixies, gang of four, mission of burma and even slint. none of these groups have saved face in my books.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby punch_the_lion on Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:13 pm

tommydski wrote:one terrific album (ylaom) and one good album (bug) makes d.jr not crap in my books. j mascis isn't really a bad guy as suggested above. i take it it's a reference to his treatment of murph and lou when he was much younger. i think if i sat in a tour van for months with lou barlow i'd want to kick his ass eventually too.

i'm going to ignore the fact that they've reformed just as i have with the pixies, gang of four, mission of burma and even slint. none of these groups have saved face in my books.

Excluding the other bands you mentioned, the reformation of Burma was like they never left. Did you check out their 2004 album onoffon? Sounds like the vintage band and produced by Bob Weston who is also doing their new album which comes out in May. Since I was barely born when they broke up I consider it fortunate that they are touring again.

As for Dinosaur, you forgot to mention their debut album which is underrated in my opinion after hearing some tracks. Very eclectic by comparison to the later stuff. Underrated even. Apparently they are going to release a new album this year but we should reserve judgement until it comes out.
punch_the_lion

Postby tommydski on Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:27 pm

lunch the peon wrote:Excluding the other bands you mentioned, the reformation of Burma was like they never left. Did you check out their 2004 album onoffon? Sounds like the vintage band and produced by Bob Weston who is also doing their new album which comes out in May.

i have 'onoffon' and i think it sounds utterly tired. you won't find a single person that agrees with me so please go ahead and assume i'm completely wrong. i remember hearing 'wounded world' and thinking "wow, i really hate bad religion". i went ghost white when i found out it was burma.

i didn't like roxy music after eno either.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby elmofreech on Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:30 pm

NOT CRAP

nostalgia makes me say that since i spent all of high school listening to dinosaur. i understand if you vote CRAP: some of the later stuff is lame.

But YLAOM is fantastic. Dinosaur (the band) would truly be a thing of legend if that was the only release. I'll second the opinion re: the debut. a number of great songs on there. BUG is shit. Most everything else I like, but only sometimes.

I really like J's MORE LIGHT album.

And the recently-released Witch album.
elmofreech
barnett newman
barnett newman

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap