home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Television Show: Mystery Science Theater 3000

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

MST3K

CRAP
10
6%
NOT CRAP
148
94%
 
Total votes : 158

Television Show: Mystery Science Theater 3000

Postby placeholder on Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:54 pm

My favorite show of all time, and NOT CRAP at all.

I tend to detest the really obsessive fans of this show, as I do obsessive fans of most things. Still, it was a great idea, beautifully executed.

I want to do a Jesus and Mary Chain-style cover of Joel and the robots' song from Sidehackers, but the rest of my band (perhaps wisely) doesn't seem too keen on this. It's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Also, Man...Or Astro-Man?'s cover of the theme song is great.
User avatar
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7971
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 pm

Postby stackmatic on Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:07 pm

If you don't like this show, there's a real good chance I don't like you.

Not Crap!
User avatar
stackmatic
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:09 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Postby mattw on Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:10 pm

Not crap, def. one of my fav shows as well. Clever to the point that it'll either make you piss your pants or go 'huh?' as some of the references are fairly far-reaching, depending on your generation.

There are so many moments to make love to from the movie, but particularly "C'mon, give Uncle Scrotor a hug!".
User avatar
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3765
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:28 pm
Location: En la casa de tu madre

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:15 pm

My introduction to MST3K was a scene that featured a crypt. The camera focused on the coffin. The coffin lid opened and one of the geeks said "Fisher..."

You know. Like the old peanut commercial.

That's good.

Anyway, this show was often great, although I was disappointed to learn eventually that all of the jokes were scripted.

Still, a hearty NOT CRAP.
User avatar
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns
 
Posts: 7318
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:22 pm
Location: Western Michigan

Postby kerble on Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:44 pm

So funny. I like Joel better than Mike, but that show? she make me laugh.

so much times. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.


Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 18741
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Postby stewie on Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:50 pm

I used to love going over to my friend's house every Saturday morning for the 9am start of this show. I miss this show a lot - for superb jokes and for showing me some incredibly awful movies.

Sampo...Prince Of Space....Screaming Skull...ah the memories!

Not Crap in any way.
User avatar
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6804
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:43 am
Location: Near Boston

Postby the Classical on Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:51 pm

I went to see one of "Lord of the Rings" films and sat down in a very crowded theatre. I vaguely recognized the person sitting next to me, but I can't place him. It bothered me the whole time before the lights went down. After the first trailer rolled he turned and made a wisecreack to his friend I instantly recognized it as Kevin Murphy aka Tom Servo....

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:although I was disappointed to learn eventually that all of the jokes were scripted.



ahhh but not in the early days when it on saturday evenings on a local tv station in mpls. it was very rambling, very hilarious and I remember all my friends at school absolutely hating

truly an incredible television program.

I saw them perform it live once, it was great.
User avatar
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:00 am
Location: Minneapolis

Postby kerble on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:14 pm

theClassical! These is the brush of the fames! The Toms of the Servo is the funny arms, she makes me laugh!

hahahahaha!




Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 18741
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Postby whiskerando on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:38 pm

i think i spent every weekday afternoon watching this show in sixth grade. my favorite bit...

aliens imprison hapless humans.
alien leader says "we can hold you in place using our magnetic powers" because you are made entirely of metal
whiskerando
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:22 pm
Location: virginia

Postby placeholder on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:42 pm

the Classical wrote:I went to see one of "Lord of the Rings" films and sat down in a very crowded theatre. I vaguely recognized the person sitting next to me, but I can't place him. It bothered me the whole time before the lights went down. After the first trailer rolled he turned and made a wisecreack to his friend I instantly recognized it as Kevin Murphy aka Tom Servo...


So cool, these thing to happen! I am just to finished reading one book by these guy, the A Year at the Movies. She is good thing for reading!
User avatar
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7971
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 pm

Postby Dylan on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:54 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Anyway, this show was often great, although I was disappointed to learn eventually that all of the jokes were scripted.

Totally. I never saw the rambling version, but I bet it was pretty great.

I recently rented their version of Timechasers (brilliant, by the way) and was wondering what happened to the mad doctor? Who's this evil lady with the ice cream?
No time, no time...
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:56 pm
Location: The Square

Postby gcbv on Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:03 pm

What a great goddamn show.

One of the most endearing things about it was the humor factor was all over the lowbrow/highbrow spectrum.

Within a minute, there would be references to Kafka, farting, Buddhism, the Ramones, and Bobby Fischer.

Quite nice.
But I digress. Please continue with the squirrel circuit semantic debate.
User avatar
gcbv
ed o'neill
ed o'neill
 
Posts: 1049
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:20 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Postby aaron on Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:26 pm

i love it

i was in a band that released a Mitchell-themed record.

we got a lot of "pardon me, but what's a Mitchell"
User avatar
aaron
avery fisher
avery fisher
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:36 pm
Location: france

Re: Television Show: Mystery Science Theater 3000

Postby robert thefamilyghost on Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:45 am

placeholder wrote:I want to do a Jesus and Mary Chain-style cover of Joel and the robots' song from Sidehackers, but the rest of my band (perhaps wisely) doesn't seem too keen on this. It's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.


you're lying...i've always agreed...you've just never pursued your dream, man!!!
User avatar
robert thefamilyghost
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:31 pm
Location: memphis, tn

Re: Television Show: Mystery Science Theater 3000

Postby placeholder on Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:13 am

robert thefamilyghost wrote:
placeholder wrote:I want to do a Jesus and Mary Chain-style cover of Joel and the robots' song from Sidehackers, but the rest of my band (perhaps wisely) doesn't seem too keen on this. It's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.


you're lying...i've always agreed...you've just never pursued your dream, man!!!


Really? I thought there was always a kind of trepidation about it. Maybe not you, but with the other half of the band? Am I imagining this? If not, then I know what we need to record this week!
User avatar
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7971
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 pm

Re: Television Show: Mystery Science Theater 3000

Postby robert thefamilyghost on Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:29 pm

placeholder wrote:If not, then I know what we need to record this week!


hey now, i didn't say i wanted to RECORD!!! we've got our own brilliant epic ballads to work on!!! and i don't think i was ever against the cover...probably not excited about it...as i don't ever think we get enough time to even work on our own (as i just said) brilliant works of genius...
User avatar
robert thefamilyghost
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:31 pm
Location: memphis, tn

Re: Television Show: Mystery Science Theater 3000

Postby placeholder on Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:36 pm

robert thefamilyghost wrote:hey now, i didn't say i wanted to RECORD!!! we've got our own brilliant epic ballads to work on!!! and i don't think i was ever against the cover...probably not excited about it...as i don't ever think we get enough time to even work on our own (as i just said) brilliant works of genius...


I really think we ought to scrap everything we've recorded to this point and concentrate all our energies on perfecting and recording this brilliant cover song. Fame and fortune will follow shortly, I'm sure.
User avatar
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7971
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 pm

Re: Television Show: Mystery Science Theater 3000

Postby robert thefamilyghost on Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:04 pm

placeholder wrote:I really think we ought to scrap everything we've recorded to this point and concentrate all our energies on perfecting and recording this brilliant cover song. Fame and fortune will follow shortly, I'm sure.


i think you may be right...and from there we'll move on to our 40 minute version of "Classical Gas"...
User avatar
robert thefamilyghost
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:31 pm
Location: memphis, tn

Postby Dylan on Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:30 pm

Two words, guys:

Band


Meeting
No time, no time...
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:56 pm
Location: The Square

Postby placeholder on Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:33 pm

Dylan wrote:Two words, guys:

Band


Meeting


Oh yeah. Sorry about that...
User avatar
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7971
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 pm

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], steve and 12 guests