home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Stones
37
47%
Beatles
41
53%
 
Total votes : 78

Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby Ptommydski on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Image

Vs.

Image
User avatar
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7455
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 am
Location: UK

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby Bill Swansea on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:22 pm

Zen Arcade.








Okay okay.. Exile. The White Album has way too much filler, Exile on Main St. doesn't and is also far better sequenced, with one side being all acoustic and stuff. Also Mick Jaggers vocals are far more bad ass than usual. And it's raw as hell. I could go on.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
User avatar
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8705
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby theDan on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Bill Swansea wrote:Okay okay.. Exile. The White Album has way too much filler, Exile on Main St. doesn't and is also far better sequenced, with one side being all acoustic and stuff. Also Mick Jaggers vocals are far more bad ass than usual. And it's raw as hell. I could go on.


I was about to say: pfffft. Beatles dude, duh.

But then I realized that the version of the White I always listen has been edited down by me to take out all of the crap, and I realized you were right.

Exile.
http://roomrunner.bandcamp.com
I Saw A Dang Stranger
User avatar
theDan
mister rogers
mister rogers
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:32 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby SecondEdition on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:33 pm

The White Album.

Sitting down to listen - all the way through - to The White Album is a unique experience.

Even the filler is unlike anything else.

As much as I like Exile on Main Street - one whole hell of a lot - and think that Exile is probably the "cooler" choice, this comes down to what was more important to me at a more impressionable age, what has gotten more listens, and what has certainly influenced me more. And on all of those fronts, the White Album wins.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby PEPPER! on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:39 pm

theDan wrote:
Bill Swansea wrote:Okay okay.. Exile. The White Album has way too much filler, Exile on Main St. doesn't and is also far better sequenced, with one side being all acoustic and stuff. Also Mick Jaggers vocals are far more bad ass than usual. And it's raw as hell. I could go on.


I was about to say: pfffft. Beatles dude, duh.

But then I realized that the version of the White I always listen has been edited down by me to take out all of the crap, and I realized you were right.

Exile.

pretty much this. if I had to pare down and make a single album out of each I think I could make a better record out of The Beatles but as it stands I gotta go with Exile
User avatar
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4529
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:56 pm
Location: CHO

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby Marsupialized on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:47 pm

The White Album. I don't like Exile at all.
User avatar
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 40816
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 am
Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby MWilke on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:49 pm

Exile is better than almost every rock album.
User avatar
MWilke
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2257
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 2:48 pm
Location: Hollywoo

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby a. james on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:50 pm

exile... has two of my favorite rolling stones songs ever. "i just want to see his face" and "ventilator blues."

i have never listened to the beatles. believe it.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
User avatar
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 15272
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:42 pm
Location: rva.

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby calhern on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:56 pm

"The great thing about the Stones is that the Beatles are so distant and perfect that you feel like they're from another planet. But with the Stones you feel like you're at home."

That quote pretty much sums up my feelings on the whole Beatles Vs Stones thing
calhern
linus pauling
linus pauling
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:38 am

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby ctrl-s on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:00 pm

Neither. I'm sick of them both. Terminal overexposure at an early age. I was already sick of both of them 25 years ago.

I might be slightly less sick of The White Album, having listened to it slightly less often during my formative years, so in a gun-to-the-head scenario (and isn't every Crap/Not Crap just that?), that one, I guess.

a. james wrote:i have never listened to the beatles. believe it.

Bullshit.
"I swear to God if you ever turn in a piece of shit like this to me again I will flunk your ass. I shit you not." -- DFW
User avatar
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1948
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Ryugyong Hotel

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby calhern on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:04 pm

a. james wrote:i have never listened to the beatles. believe it.


Were you raised by wolves or something?
calhern
linus pauling
linus pauling
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:38 am

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby ctrl-s on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:10 pm

calhern wrote:
a. james wrote:i have never listened to the beatles. believe it.


Were you raised by wolves or something?

Are you 1) human, 2) Anglophone, and 3) born between 1940 and 2000? THEN YOU'VE FUCKING LISTENED TO THE BEATLES.
"I swear to God if you ever turn in a piece of shit like this to me again I will flunk your ass. I shit you not." -- DFW
User avatar
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1948
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Ryugyong Hotel

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby Minotaur029 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:18 pm

I will be spending a lot of time thinking about this. It's a truly great question for a thunderdome.
User avatar
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: 7777

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby FuzzBob on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm a bigger Beatles fan than a Stones fan in general, but this vote is easy: Exile. That was the Stones' peak, while the White Album and Let It Be represent a low point where The Beatles stopped smashing boundaries, stopped making magic and started making filler.

If only Brian Wilson knew The Beatles would decline after Magical Mystery Tour, maybe he'd have hung on, finished the original Smile and had the last laugh.
User avatar
FuzzBob
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Slintville

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby Nico Adie on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:55 pm

The White Album, by some distance, and I quite like Exile.
User avatar
Nico Adie
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2877
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:26 am
Location: Scotland

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby mt on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:45 pm

The White Album. It's goofy and jumps all over the place and has filler, but it is a really fun trip.

Exile rocks, no doubt, but the Beatles get the nod.
User avatar
mt
the white ho
the white ho
 
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:27 am
Location: convergence zone

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby Nina on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:49 pm

White Album.

Easy peasy.
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
User avatar
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6426
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: خانابدوش

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby a. james on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:53 pm

ctrl-s wrote:
calhern wrote:
a. james wrote:i have never listened to the beatles. believe it.


Were you raised by wolves or something?

Are you 1) human, 2) Anglophone, and 3) born between 1940 and 2000? THEN YOU'VE FUCKING LISTENED TO THE BEATLES.
i have heard the beatles. i haven't listened to the beatles. i've never sat through an album, and when a song comes on i'm generally tuned to something else.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
User avatar
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 15272
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:42 pm
Location: rva.

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby Bill Swansea on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:02 pm

a. james wrote:i have heard the beatles. i haven't listened to the beatles. i've never sat through an album, and when a song comes on i'm generally tuned to something else.

I can relate to this, because, in many ways, fuck the Beatles.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
User avatar
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8705
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Thunderdome: Exile on Main St Vs. The White Album

Postby Nina on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Bill Swansea wrote:
a. james wrote:i have heard the beatles. i haven't listened to the beatles. i've never sat through an album, and when a song comes on i'm generally tuned to something else.

I can relate to this, because, in many ways, fuck the Beatles.


I know you're young, but are you insane?
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
User avatar
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6426
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: خانابدوش

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 11 guests