home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Trend: Cassette revival

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Home Taping is Killing the Record Industry, We've Left This Side Blank So You Can Help.

CRAP
58%
NOT CRAP
42%

Total votes : 140

Trend: Cassette revival

Postby cneutron on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:20 pm

There seems to be a revival of the cassette.
Often reviled as a servicable, but portable way to listen to records.
We now see cassette tape "labels"
Here is a story in the LA Times
"Tape orders have definitely picked up from almost nothing in the last couple years, and it's been almost entirely indie bands," said Michael McKinney, the president of M2 Communications, the Pasadena-based CD and DVD duplication plant where Burger presses its cassettes. M2 issues between 6,000 and 10,000 tapes a month at around 70 cents apiece, McKinney said, a number clearly down from its '80s heyday of hundreds of thousands but up from its '90s and '00s doldrums of virtually zero.

People even on this forum have released and/or are releasing things on cassette.

How do you feel about this revival?
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends = Music band: Neutron/Ash/Crover.
Protonic Reversal = Radio Show/Podcast
Radio NOPE = 24/7 Kickass tunes/talk
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Re: Trend: Cassette revival

Postby Rotten Tanx on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Could either be genuine festishising or stupid cool-retro but either way pointless.

There's a reason to cling to vinyl. I don't see any reason to cling to cassettes.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Into the Void on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:17 pm

I don't know anything about this but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the same kids that are buying Members Only jackets and Wayfarers. So, Crap. Though I might reconsider if I can get something on eBay for that cassette of Apocalypse 91…The Enemy Strikes Black that's in the basement of my mom's house.
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby iembalm on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:27 pm

What's happening here? Didn't I read this exact thread with different dates a couple months ago?
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby cneutron on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:36 pm

iembalm wrote:What's happening here? Didn't I read this exact thread with different dates a couple months ago?

If there is one, I couldn't find it.
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends = Music band: Neutron/Ash/Crover.
Protonic Reversal = Radio Show/Podcast
Radio NOPE = 24/7 Kickass tunes/talk
cneutron

Postby lemur68 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:18 pm

You know why cassettes died? Because they suck. They sound like shit and are fragile. I don't miss holding my finger down on the FF button to get to the fourth song, only to end up making tape spaghetti. And forget about liner art.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Mason on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:58 pm

The band I'm in was considering doing a cassette edition of our next EP, based on the fact that we (or, more accurately, others like us) could play it in our cars. Don't know if that'll happen though.

Tapes are cheap to put out and are still readily playable in a lot of places (most people have boomboxes lying around still; even I have several). But overall, the Compact Cassette is a pretty shitty format. Poor sound, poor durability, etc.

But whatever. It's a storage format; you can put music on it and people can play it. Bands are still putting out flexi-discs as a novelty thing, even legit bands like Cold Lake, so who cares.

Not Crap WF 6, or alternatively Crap WF 4
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby The Flying Ninja on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:15 am

So when's there going to be a wax cylinder revival? That would be something to see.
The Flying Ninja
ben franklin
ben franklin

Postby etch on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:43 am

I used cassettes for years: vinyl first then cassettes, then back to vinyl. I almost completely skipped cd's.

It's probably a nostalgia trend but cassettes are okay. The bummer about them was the capstan broke a lot, they would still play but you lost all the high end. It seemed like this happened the most with Columbia cassettes. In the late eighties they released a lot of albums on metal tapes, those sounded pretty damn good.

It was fun to make mix tapes and record demos on four tracks.
etch

Postby cak on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:03 am

Cassettes served an important purpose before digital recording became affordable and convenient. Now they are pretty much useless, and I feel mildly embarrassed for anyone clinging to them.
cak
philip guston
philip guston

Postby Awesome_Komodo on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:14 am

CRAP

Somehow dumber than the vinyl revolution.
Not sure how, but it is.
Here comes the pissball, shithead - get ready!
Awesome_Komodo
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby E. Norma Stitz on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:00 am

8-Tracks are actually seeing the same revival.

I've been snapping up all sorts of sealed high end metal cassette tapes from the local thrift shops for 25 and 50 cents a pop. I can't see myself just never using a cassette deck again, you know?
E. Norma Stitz

Postby PEPPER! on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:18 am

The Flying Ninja wrote:So when's there going to be a wax cylinder revival? That would be something to see.

sooner than you think
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Snack Chips on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:52 am

Last time I toured the country, I found 2 great independent record stores (Domino in New Orleans and Mississippi in Portland) that sold vinyl and cassettes exclusively.

Both places sell mix cassettes that the store owners had put together, mostly of super-obscure singles or genre-based stuff (i.e. African music). Basically guys sharing their record collections in mix-tape form, for $2 or $3 a pop.

These stores are both awesome. Aquarius in SF could learn a lot from them.

There's no doubt cassettes are currently a very popular format in the underground/noise world these days, and becoming more so.

Personally I'm ambivalent. I don't really have any nostalgia for cassettes, and I like CDs fine. I don't mind people being into cassettes, though.

I would strongly suggest to all unknown bands who are planning to tour that their recorded 'merch' be on either vinyl or cassette. People are much more likely to buy your shit on these formats than on CD. And definitely don't do CD-Rs.
Snack Chips
ernie
ernie

Postby Bill Swansea on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:57 am

Snack Chips wrote:I would strongly suggest to all unknown bands who are planning to tour that their recorded 'merch' be on either vinyl or cassette. People are much more likely to buy your shit on these formats than on CD.

What makes you say that?
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby dabrasha on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:59 am

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
dabrasha

Postby Snack Chips on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Bill Swansea wrote:
Snack Chips wrote:I would strongly suggest to all unknown bands who are planning to tour that their recorded 'merch' be on either vinyl or cassette. People are much more likely to buy your shit on these formats than on CD.

What makes you say that?

Playing close to 100 shows and hanging out at close to 100 different merch tables in the last year is what makes me say that.

Keep in mind that it is somewhat genre-based. If you are opening for Wilco at the House of Blues, your CDs will probably sell fine. If you are opening for Robin Williams On Fire at Rhinoceropolis, get those cassettes in front of 'em.

I should also say that I have no idea what the state of the "cassette revival" is in the world of aluminum-beard-noisy-noise-"PRF"-rock, as I haven't much cared about it since 1999 or so. These statements of mine do not apply to that world.
Snack Chips
ernie
ernie

Postby ERawk on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:11 pm

PEPPER! wrote:
The Flying Ninja wrote:So when's there going to be a wax cylinder revival? That would be something to see.

sooner than you think

Black Dice is probably releasing their next album that way. Using lathes for cutting vinyl is so passe.
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Colonel Panic on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:17 pm

Snack Chips/Angus Jung/Allen Sims/etc., I don't know what kind of music you play or what shows you've been attending, but I go to a hell of a lot of shows and haven't seen a cassette on a merch table in years.

If there really is a cassette revival, that's pretty stupid. For as much as I loved my mix cassettes back in the day, it's a clunky medium which degenerates terribly. It has too many moving parts that break often. These kinds of retro-media trends that impose artificial scarcity or obscurity are universally CRAP in my opinion. As others have pointed out, there are good reasons to keep vinyl around.

Cassettes, 8-tracks, etc. are crappy, obsolete and expensive compared with today's digital media. A 120 GB iPod Classic can hold around 120,000 minutes of mp3 audio (encoded at CD-quality 160 kbps VBR), it sounds a lot better and is smaller than a single tape cassette. Plus, it plays itself. There's no need for a tape deck or Walkman.

Also: ripping mp3s from a tape source is a pain in the ass and the sound quality is almost always extremely crappy due to the way tape hiss and compression affect mp3 encoders.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Snack Chips on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Colonel Panic wrote:I don't know what kind of music you play or what shows you've been attending, but I go to a hell of a lot of shows and haven't seen a cassette on a merch table in years.

I've played a lot of shows, and I've never seen a dude with a monocle at any of them. So I guess we're even?

People are putting out a lot of music on cassette these days whether you believe they are or not.
Snack Chips
ernie
ernie

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap