"Jailbreak" by AC/DC
49%
"Jailbreak" by Thin Lizzy
51%

Total votes : 77

Either/Or: "Jailbreak"

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:07 pm

I love both of these songs.
Last edited by Bradley R. Weissenberger on Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby prockwell on Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:18 pm

DAMN that is tough.

The AC/DC song is one of their best early songs and the Thin Lizzy song has that awesome breakdown with sirens. The AC/DC song has an awesome breakdown too..uhhmmm...Thin Lizzy rocks harder in this contest, but just a little bit.
prockwell
complete piece of shit
complete piece of shit

Postby tmidgett on Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:22 pm

not familiar with acey seedy. is she alt-country?
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby placeholder on Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:23 pm

I'm going with AC/DC (or "AC/CD"), though Thin Lizzy's "Jailbreak" is a fine song as well.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby the Classical on Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:36 pm

I casta my vote for the "Jailbreak" of the AC/DC, for she beautiful song, when I small the classical I see the AC/DC in concert and I remember they play this song about breaking of the jail! Salut! Is wonderful and beautiful thing! Also, for so beautiful a song to be covered so excellently by the Shellacs of North Italia is in my mind as well.

This "Jailbreak" song by the Not Fat Lizzies is good song, but there something about this song I no like, is the line "tonight there's going to be a jailbreak/somewhere in the town". WTF? Isn't jailbreak going to be at the fagina jail? Ok maybe town have many jails, but is person who song being sung to thinking the jailbreak might be at the bakery? or the pet store? Jailbreak at the jail, not somewhere. Is good song still, but for the classical, not so good as the AC of DC.
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby MorphineCharley on Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:47 pm

Thin Lizzy! For some reason I've never liked AC/DC.
MorphineCharley
carrot top
carrot top

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:43 pm

the Classical wrote:Something about this song I no like, is the line "tonight there's going to be a jailbreak/somewhere in the town". WTF? Isn't jailbreak going to be at the fagina jail? Ok maybe town have many jails, but is person who song being sung to thinking the jailbreak might be at the bakery? or the pet store? Jailbreak at the jail, not somewhere.

More than one person holds this opinion. See below.

Editorial Reviews at Amazon.com wrote:Jailbreak is surely Thin Lizzy's most exciting, tough, and touching album. Simultaneously barbarous and balletic, the 1976 set boasts the totally irresistible "The Boys Are Back in Town." But the rest of Jailbreak lives up to that highlight, especially the riotous title track ("Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town"--yeah well, the jail seems a likely place).
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby mattw on Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:16 pm

I'd go for 'Jailbreak' by the Thin Lizzies.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:21 pm

I'll go with Lizzy, not just because they are the most cherished rock band of my youth but because I saw two young ladies bare their breasts when Lizzy played "Jailbreak" as their encore at Louisville Summer Jam II, September '78. And, believe me, they were [/i]dugs!

If AC/DC played "Jailbreak" when I saw them in '77, I don't remember it--though I was there to see KISS and unfamiliar with the band up to that point.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Surfrider on Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:07 pm

AN - GUS, AN- GUS, AN - GUS
You're a shit DM and i want my pizza money back.
(Let's Violence Cowpiss ne!)
Surfrider
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby dave76 on Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:00 pm

Damn hard to pick between the two. I give a slight edge to Thin Lizzy.
dave76
novitiate
novitiate

Postby Dylan on Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:17 pm

AC/DC wins just about any contest, except for 'best album of the 90s'.

Shellac's cover of this song was awesome and inspired. One of the best covers I've heard.
No time, no time...
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby 154 on Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:19 pm

the best thin lizzy song versus an average ac/dc one, i'm goin' with lizzy..

Postby horsewhip on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:25 pm

I would argue that an average AC/DC can easily trump a great Thin Lizzy one. I've never really dug on Thin Lizzy that much. I guess some stuff I like okay, but I don't really feel the urge to buy one of their albums, let alone 7 or 8 like I do AC/DC. The AC/DC, she wins.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby run joe, run on Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:37 am

I was late night shopping last night in the local 24 hour supermarket. When you go there in the small hours of the morning the staff loosen up a bit and you can hear them swear and whistle loudly. Some of them don't bother to tuck their shirts in. There are seldom any customers in there. So I was looking at the dvds and cds, and they had the rock music playing over the system. Then Thin Lizzy's 'Jailbreak' came on. It made me laugh, because I thought of this thread, and then I became even more amused at pondering the potential depth of the narrator's confusion. The Classical already said that maybe this guy is puzzled and he thinks the jailbreak might happen in the bakery, or the pet store. On top of this I was imagining the other places where this man thinks the jailbreak may be going down. Maybe the local school! With no children or teachers, but just some dudes planning a jailbreak out of there, with scruffy maps they've drawn on the back of cigarette packets! Maybe some random house, with just a family in there, lying in bed but secretly excited at the jailbreak they are going to execute at 4am!

The one that tickled me the most was thinking maybe the guy thinks the jailbreak will happen right here, in this 24 hour supermarket, and maybe the staff in here - whistling along and swearing and with their shirts hanging out - maybe even they think there's gonna be a jailbreak in here! I smiled.

Then I got my stuff and came home, in the cold wind. But this little moment, she cheer me up!
Back off man, I'm a scientist.
run joe, run
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby patrick md on Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:29 pm

When I was in high school I had a friend who was a total spazz and would flip out over the most random things and be totally cool when bad things went down.

For example, he didn't care what so ever when another friend of our ran over his parents mailbox and totaled it. Yet he flipped out once when they put the wrong topping on his pizza, swearing loudly and throwing the box to the ground and stomping it. Bizzare unbalanced kid.

Anyway, he loved Thin Lizzy and on one occasion we were at his house when Jailbreak was playing. After the line, "Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak somewhere in this town," I pointed out in a somewhat sarcastic way that the jailbreak would most likely occur at the jail. The kid went nuts, threw his TV remote against the wall, ordered me out of the house, was yelling about what shitty music I liked.

I don't care for either song. That's my jailbreak story though.
patrick md
cats
cats

Postby david wm. on Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:53 am

I was in a band, a couple years ago, that used to cover the thin lizzy version. Had never heard the song before, but had a very low opinion of thin lizzy beforehand. But the guitar tone in that song is probably the best a guitar has ever sounded.

I hate to be one of those guitar center nerds, but that opening e-chord sounds spectacular.

And AC/DC never really did it for me.
david wm.

Postby a. james on Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:59 pm

bon scott.

i think bon wrote that song about himself.

plus ac/dc's doesn't have the goofiness of the jailbreak being "somewhere in this town."
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby same on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:14 pm

That Jailbreak '74 e.p. was an anomoly to me when I was young. It just didn't sound like any other AC/DC release. I began to really like it after a while as it's quite a bit more complex and dynamic than their other stuff. I've always wondered why they never went on to explore more in that direction. Maybe the album didn't sell very well or something. Oh well.
same
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby DrAwkward on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:18 pm

AC/DC's version is the superior one.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap