Facebook

crap
67%
not crap
33%

Total votes : 96

Site: Facebook

Postby hauteblooded on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:25 pm

I don't think I've ever actively wished for the death of a website more. Everything about Facebook is pretty revolting to me. I'm not against social networking in general, I think Twitter is brilliant and Tumblr and others have interesting potential. But Facebook? BORING. And really only the ridiculous behemoth that it is by pure luck. I don't think Facebook has innovated or changed the game in any meaningful way. They were the site with momentum when mobile web use went through the roof and their site is bland and boring so it was easy to integrate into every cell phone on the planet. All $50 billion of Facebook's valuation is dependant on one thing: the 500 million assholes that stare at it for hours a day. And those assholes are fickle. I can't wait until they move along to something better.
hauteblooded

Re: Site: Facebook

Postby circle_ruler on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:40 pm

it is what you want it to be.

you just called some of my friends assholes. you dismiss in one sweeping generalization people who you know nothing about. actually most of my Fbook friends are PRFers and are fine people who i admire greatly for their many and various talents.

i couldn't remember why i put you on my ignore list but thanks for the reminder. you may be alright in person but here you come across as a bit of a cock.
Dudley wrote:Are we "meant" to wear trousers? Are we "meant" to sit in metal tubes that travel 30,000 feet above the earth?
circle_ruler
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby hauteblooded on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:42 pm

circle_ruler wrote:it is what you want it to be.

This can't be true since I want it to be something better.
hauteblooded

Postby hauteblooded on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:50 pm

Also, my thoughts were more condemning of the site than the users. I meant assholes in an endearing way. My grandma is on Facebook and she's a nice person. I'm sure many of your "FB" friends are as well. The point was that Facebook doesn't automatically become the best meadow just because thats where all the sheep happen to be right now.
hauteblooded

Postby hauteblooded on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:57 pm

krs wrote:
hauteblooded wrote:Also, my thoughts were more condemning of the site than the users.

Facebook is only a platform. What users do with the platform determines it's usefulness.

Well if constant updates about how tired you are and vacation pictures are useful to you then I guess the future of global communications looks pretty bright for you.
hauteblooded

Postby hauteblooded on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:01 pm

krs wrote:It sounds like you need some more interesting friends.

This is actually a good point. My friends are great, but what about my family or acquaintances? Long lost girlfriends or bosses? Do I want everyone I've ever know in every social layer of capacity in one big nasty pile? No, I don't.
hauteblooded

Postby fedaykin13 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:05 pm

hauteblooded wrote:
krs wrote:It sounds like you need some more interesting friends.

This is actually a good point. My friends are great, but what about my family or acquaintances? Long lost girlfriends or bosses? Do I want everyone I've ever know in every social layer of capacity in one big nasty pile? No, I don't.

That's why there is this great function
It's called 'deny friend request'

You can even choose to never see anything specific 'friends' you have write!

If you think it's supposed to change your life, of course your going to be disappointed.

If you use it to keep up with long distant friends, bands
planning parties it's pretty useful.
Tommy Alpha wrote:fedaykin13 is right

I play bass in the Blood Sucking Fiends
http://www.prfsinglesclub.com/
fedaykin13
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby hauteblooded on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:10 pm

It's also interesting to see how people, for all their talk about it on other issues, are so comfortable and willing to have their privacy raped so flagrantly by a company over and over again.
hauteblooded

Postby mr.arrison on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Hauteblooded,

There are many valid reasons to dislike Facebook, but you missed the bus. It's like you're saying "I hate people that watch TV" - Oookay. How about saying what you hate about Facebook, as that is what this C/NC is about, right?

For me Facebook is a minor waste of time. It's the Salsa and Chips of my day.. brings me some cheer, but there's very little nutritional value and lots of salt. But I gladly partake in it. It's kind of like looking at old yearbooks, but they are updated in real-time. A bunch of people that were good friends or acquaintances years ago.. now they have babies, new bands, new pets and real jobs. In some ways, it's sort of like the PRF but on a more macro level. Some people post stupid shit all the time and you put them on your hide list. Sometimes people post hilarious or thought provoking stuff (Colonel Panic and Lemur68 for instance) and it makes the wasted time a little better.

Friendster, MySpace, Twitter, Facebook, all pretty the same kind of thing, some more useful, some more flawed. None of them have much nutritional value.

I'm more curious about when Facebook will go away, supplanted by something new and slightly different - and what that will be.

It's all very interesting to me overall, this Social media stuff. I don't like the advertising angle and some of the privacy stuff is disconcerting, but overall:

Not Crap :WF: 10
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby hauteblooded on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:12 pm

fedaykin13 wrote:If you use it to keep up with long distant friends, bands
planning parties it's pretty useful.

You do understand that people were doing these things before Facebook, right?
hauteblooded

Postby Mason on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:18 pm

You must be new at this contrarian thing. Hating on Facebook is seriously entry-level.

Step up your game.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby hauteblooded on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:21 pm

krs wrote:
hauteblooded wrote:It's also interesting to see how people, for all their talk about it on other issues, are so comfortable and willing to have their privacy raped so flagrantly by a company over and over again.

Facebook doesn't have to be intrusive. Aside from a valid email address, the user chooses exacty what information they share with the company.

Jesus Christ...listen to you people. And I guess the information you share with the company then becomes their property for them to share with anyone else in exchange for money? You're ok with that? Because that's what they do.
hauteblooded

Postby hauteblooded on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:38 pm

First, it's not just about other people seeing your content. Do you have any idea how Facebook makes money?

Second, yes. You can if you so desire go in and wade through your settings in order to not share your content with the entire world. The fact that those aren't the default settings should raise some red flags for you.
hauteblooded

Postby hauteblooded on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:19 pm

Just to reiterate, I'm all for social networking. And when I say "boring" I mean the site is extremely limiting and boring in and of itself. Not the people that use it. Though, honestly many of them are boring also but so what. I think many of you misunderstood what I was saying and started having a different debate.
hauteblooded

Postby Jon M. on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Not crap. I don't use it, but I don't have anything against it.
Jon M.
phil niekro
phil niekro

Postby deep.BTUz on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Facebook, the divorce lawyers greatest benefactor.

Why any adult would want to participate on this site is beyond me. I don't get it at all. Embarrassing crap.
Ice up, son
deep.BTUz
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby hauteblooded on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:01 pm

One of Facebook's biggest flaws is also one of the reasons for its meteoric rise in popularity: your identity. The whole thing is predicated on you using your real name. Which is great for catching up with long lost classmates and also great for people looking you up. MySpace was nice, I thought. You could use your name if you wanted or you could go by "DemonHumper420" if you wanted. Your MySpace page was like your own customized website. Here is a short bio, here's my blogs, here's a song I like today, etc. But it wasn't then and still isn't suited for mobile use. And I think it's obvious that mobile devices are the future for now. Twitter, Tumblr and others get this. Call yourself what you want. Facebook actually stymies a lot of the freedom of online socializing by doing things the way it does.
hauteblooded

Postby Trey on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Facebook is awesome if you have interesting friends, and you yourself are interesting. Hauteblooded and deepBTUz consistently show themselves on this forum to be people with massive superiority complexes. Also, they share in common the most uninteresting, lifeless, boring points of view. I cannot fathom a world where either of you have in your lives an abundance of truly great friends. There's just no way you cold cunts have endeared yourselves to anyone over the course of your lives enough to have forged those kind of friendships. Maybe a few, with like minded smug fucks. I couldn't possibly be any less interested in knowing you as people.

I'm sorry that you have shitty friends, because I bet the farm that is what you have.

Yeah, it's a goofy ass website and it wants your informations, yikes! But it's pretty great in a lot of ways. Someone will build a better mousetrap soon enough, and everyone will defect directly.

God damn you guys bring out the suck, though. Seriously.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Mason on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:49 pm

amelia wrote:
Trey wrote:Facebook is awesome if you have interesting friends, and you yourself are interesting. Hauteblooded and deepBTUz consistently show themselves on this forum to be people with massive superiority complexes. Also, they share in common the most uninteresting, lifeless, boring points of view. I cannot fathom a world where either of you have in your lives an abundance of truly great friends. There's just no way you cold cunts have endeared yourselves to anyone over the course of your lives enough to have forged those kind of friendships. Maybe a few, with like minded smug fucks. I couldn't possibly be any less interested in knowing you as people.

I'm sorry that you have shitty friends, because I bet the farm that is what you have.

Yeah, it's a goofy ass website and it wants your informations, yikes! But it's pretty great in a lot of ways. Someone will build a better mousetrap soon enough, and everyone will defect directly.

I just couldn't ignore this. From my experience, I find that most people are bothered by those that reflect themselves. Looking in the mirror and seeing what you don't like about yourself type deal. The only difference is that you can hide behind a message board and pretend that the negativity that you spew has a purpose. Well it doesn't. It just perpetuates unnecessary ugliness. Please be more conscious of your words, please. You are what you put out in the world.

Peace out.

What's funny is clicking "display this post" to read something and then remembering why you changed your settings so you'd have to click "display this post" to read that thing.

Trey, you got this. You got this.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Chromodynamic on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:58 pm

Trey wrote:Facebook is awesome if you have interesting friends, and you yourself are interesting. Hauteblooded and deepBTUz consistently show themselves on this forum to be people with massive superiority complexes. Also, they share in common the most uninteresting, lifeless, boring points of view. I cannot fathom a world where either of you have in your lives an abundance of truly great friends. There's just no way you cold cunts have endeared yourselves to anyone over the course of your lives enough to have forged those kind of friendships. Maybe a few, with like minded smug fucks. I couldn't possibly be any less interested in knowing you as people.

I can't really find the words so here are pictures.

This post:

My feelings for Trey:

Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap