this band

cRaP
80%
nOt CrAp
20%

Total votes : 94

Band: Tune-Yards

Postby Mason on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:15 pm

(I will not let myself write "tUnE-yArDs")

"Bizness"

Decidedly not my thing (indie rock for yoga moms imo) but people around me are caring about them more and more. What say you all?
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Re: Band: Tune-Yards

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:47 pm

A girl I work with listens to this all day long.
It might be the worst music in the world. I'd much, much rather listen to a Sting or Dave Matthews album. Shit, I'd rather listen to a Wilco album. Incredibly bad in every way.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Sam on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:43 pm

this is insufferable 'world-music' bullshit with an asymmetrical haircut just listen to music from cultures that are actually different

looked up other stuff to see how much it varies...http://youtu.be/Svgh_MZOmaw . ugh.
Sam
cool kid
cool kid

Postby Robert G on Sun May 01, 2011 10:19 am

This is the work of a genius, according to Christgau. Awful. If only I was a white girl with terrible face paint and discovering polyrhythms, then I'd have critics bowing to my feet too!

I like how no one's calling out cultural appropriation, or the fact that they look like a bunch of stupid hipsters playing cowboys and indians.
Robert G
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby bogusaurus on Sun May 01, 2011 12:12 pm

Tune Collective.

This sucks burbling watery shit from a pipe.
bogusaurus
andy warhol
andy warhol

Postby Ranxerox on Sun May 01, 2011 3:18 pm

I like some of it.

Most of it I find to be worthless.

Still, it does not offend me, so I give it a NC.
Ranxerox
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Casimal on Wed May 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Merrill Garbus shines like a fucking star. That woman has good ideas and a voice like a truck. Love every minute of it, the whole thing, facepaint, capitalization, all of it. NC, no waffles.
Casimal
boris spassky
boris spassky

Postby ergo space pig on Wed May 04, 2011 4:41 pm

I had a friend (with usually good taste) recommend this to me. I've only heard a few songs but it wasn't promising. I guess I don't get what this is all about. It's kinda clever in the way that it's constructed, I suppose, but beyond that it hasn't done anything for me.
ergo space pig
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Marsupialized on Wed May 04, 2011 5:55 pm

She is listening to it right now. Right across from me.

It is literally the worst music in the entire world. There could never be worse music than this. It is just awful, awful shit. Any Sting album will be miles and miles better than this, any one.

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbJVeTORXxE

That is way, way better than this music. Way, way better.

You would have to be a complete and utter fucking asshole to think this music was anything other than terrible. A complete and utter fucking idiot.
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby gjp on Fri May 06, 2011 6:41 pm

tUnE-yArDs, typed just like that.

Album title is w h o k i l l, also typed just like that.

Fuck this shit.

Fuck it straight to hell.

EDIT: The music sucks too.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby SecondEdition on Fri May 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Mason wrote:(I will not let myself write "tUnE-yArDs")

but you just did.

the p4k interviewer kissed her ass so hard throughout the interview that was posted today, it was kind of hilarious. She herself seems like a pretty alright person.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby tipcat on Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 am

To me, tUnE-yArDs (hello, Michael Stipe circa 1984) represents everything that is wrong about music in 2011. Empty signification. Disconnection from anything resembling punk. Fetishization of 'otherness' in the name of being groundbreaking. Fuck this band in the face. This shit is the enemy.

This band represents the complete synthesis of the 'hipster' and the hippie, which is perhaps none too surprising since we've been going in this direction for some time now (Animal Collective, Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses, to name a few). tUnE-yArDs is safe music for both the PC crowd and also for those who would like to think that their life choices are 'alt'. It is normative music. It reinforces and also legislates self-congratulatory whitepersonry.

I think the inherent conservatism of something like tUnE-yArDs is diametrically opposed to Odd Future. Where tUnE-yArDs mollifies, Odd Future provokes. Whatever you may think of them, OF are fucking people up and provoking reflection, which is what great art does. All tUnE-yArDs does is provoke beard-stroking and mid-afternoon runs to Whole Foods for more Morningstar burgers.

I don't think it's an accident that these two bands have emerged simultaneously. I don't know what that 'means', exactly. And I could be wrong about all of this, so flame me if you like.
tipcat
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby gjp on Thu May 19, 2011 4:37 am

tipcat wrote:To me, tUnE-yArDs (hello, Michael Stipe circa 1984) represents everything that is wrong about music in 2011. Empty signification. Disconnection from anything resembling punk. Fetishization of 'otherness' in the name of being groundbreaking. Fuck this band in the face. This shit is the enemy.

This band represents the complete synthesis of the 'hipster' and the hippie, which is perhaps none too surprising since we've been going in this direction for some time now (Animal Collective, Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses, to name a few). tUnE-yArDs is safe music for both the PC crowd and also for those who would like to think that their life choices are 'alt'. It is normative music. It reinforces and also legislates self-congratulatory whitepersonry.

I think the inherent conservatism of something like tUnE-yArDs is diametrically opposed to Odd Future. Where tUnE-yArDs mollifies, Odd Future provokes. Whatever you may think of them, OF are fucking people up and provoking reflection, which is what great art does. All tUnE-yArDs does is provoke beard-stroking and mid-afternoon runs to Whole Foods for more Morningstar burgers.

I don't think it's an accident that these two bands have emerged simultaneously. I don't know what that 'means', exactly. And I could be wrong about all of this, so flame me if you like.

This is the best.
gjp

Postby eephour on Thu May 19, 2011 11:52 am

Salut, tipcat!

And yes, it's crap.
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Mason on Thu May 19, 2011 11:55 am

tipcat wrote:It is normative music.

So damaging. And so dead-on.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby caix on Thu May 19, 2011 12:02 pm

I picked up whokill a few weeks ago. Not Crap. This album is exciting. At first, I thought this band would be just another overhyped p.o.s. But it isn't a band. It's a woman with a thick voice singing over drum loops with a bass player in the background. She'll be touring soon with a horn section.

Her first album is alright. I didn't really like it when I first heard it. Not sure I'll go back to it. The new album is a different animal altogether.
I play bass in Fake Limbs.
caix
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby tocharian on Thu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm

tipcat wrote:To me, tUnE-yArDs (hello, Michael Stipe circa 1984) represents everything that is wrong about music in 2011. Empty signification. Disconnection from anything resembling punk. Fetishization of 'otherness' in the name of being groundbreaking. Fuck this band in the face. This shit is the enemy.

Thanks for making this the best place on the internet today.
tocharian

Postby Dr. Geek on Thu May 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Amazon recommended this to me based on a Kraftwerk album I purchased a while back. Gave it a listen.

Fuck you, Amazon. And fuck this tune-yards band.
My Radio Show: Hex Enduction Hours On 91.3 FM KXCI Tucson - Recent Playlists

Bringing you the best punk, post-punk, and noise rock from the US/UK and beyond! Every Thursday midnight to 3AM MST (stream online at http://www.kxci.org)
Dr. Geek

Postby caix on Thu May 19, 2011 1:16 pm

It's unfortunate that this band has so much attention. While it's nice to have an informed opinion, in the end we're just talking about music. Dave, while I think you've got a well-informed and explanatory opinion on this band, I question what you mean by "Disconnection from anything resembling punk." What is punk? Is punk a sound? I thought punk was a concept and attitude towards playing music. I don't even know why you're that angry at one pitiful album. I'm not flaming here, just noticing how much emotion this album has pulled out of you. Perhaps it has pwnt you.

I dunno, some of the opinions here sound really trite and snobby. I understand if one doesn't like a band or a song, that's fine. But I think there's a bit of an overreaction here based on the apparent popularity of this band.

Do yourselves a favor and tune out. I don't know who the biggest band in the world is. I don't generally read reviews or follow music blogs, watch videos, listen to the radio or use services like Pandora. I just try to listen to shit as I come across it, usually by finding it in a record store or getting a recommendation from a friend. I find that I enjoy new music more when I have no clue about it beforehand.

I was listening to a new album earlier this year (not tuneyards), I thought it was amazing. I didn't think anyone ever really heard it before. Turns out, it was a huge album with lots and lots of press and they were pitchfork darlings. I only found that out when I did a google search on the band, I wanted to find some information on them. I'm really glad I didn't bother paying attention to all the noise or I would have never picked the album up.

Now, I'm not saying that you should give Tune Yards another listen. I'm not even trying to defend it. If you don't like it, you don't like. But, remove all the hype and just listen to music. You might be surprised what you actually like.
I play bass in Fake Limbs.
caix

Postby tipcat on Thu May 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Mat, thanks for your response. Don't have time right now to fully explain myself but just wanted to acknowledge you. Just a couple of comments for now. First off, I think this band's music is terrible with or without the hype, and I'm definitely the last person here who's going to dislike a band purely based on Pitchfork hype. You can see from my posts here that I've listened to lots of "Pitchfork music" in my time. Secondly, I agree with you on punk being a concept and an attitude more than a sound. This music strikes me as the opposite of punk. Finally, music is not "just music." It has a social context and bands get hyped for reasons that go beyond what their music actually sounds like, and the hype around this band is significant because of its 2011ness. I'll be back to explain this and more later.

If Hampshire College was a band, this would be it.
tipcat

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap