Total votes : 265

Band: Smiths, The

Postby admin on Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:17 am

Smiths, The
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dylan on Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:09 am

I'm going to have to break the tie and say CRAP.
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby stephensolo on Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:12 am

one thing i dont understand is people comparing the smiths to belle and sebastian. the smiths were a rock band! just cause morrisey was/is a ponce, they still rocked pretty hard for soft pasty brits. i guess they're just one of those bands, if you like them, you love them - if not, well...
stephensolo
rodeo clown
rodeo clown

Postby SchnappM on Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:37 pm

The funny thing about the Smiths is that, even though I don't like them, I wouldn't vote them as crap. Why is this? Am I truly brainwashed by indie dogma?

A lot of truly horrible people like the Smiths. And his voice is just fucking stupid, no matter how you slice it.
SchnappM
pinocchio
pinocchio

my 2 pennies

Postby O H Lee on Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:24 pm

The Smiths had very unique feel to their music,[b]BUT[/b]Morrissey?!?!?, a living joke and a bad role model. There's a reason why his career is kaput.
O H Lee
junkballer
junkballer

Postby Hosoi on Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:03 am

I've decided that they're gay. Which would be fine if they didn't suck, or at least admitted to sucking something.

I thought they were okay until today. I heard them coming from a different room. All I could hear were violins, tambourines, and xylophones. And crying. I swear I heard crying.
Hosoi
dag hammarskjöld
dag hammarskjöld

Postby the Classical on Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:35 am

I can't for the life of me understand why otherwise intelligent adults feel the need to listen to the smiths

crap
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby adsr527 on Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:17 pm

It's the hair, isn't it?

Would it be appropriate to compare Morrissey to Bono?

(At least you don't hear about Morrissey anymore)-
adsr527

Postby Mr. Chimp on Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:44 pm

Okay, suckers....here we go:

I can't for the life of me understand why otherwise intelligent adults feel the need to listen to the smiths

I'll tell you exactly why, because the musicality is striking.
Stunning, even. Some of the best music crafted in the 1980's.
Excellent playing, excellent arrangements.
Quintessential example of how a standard trio should interact - drums full of accuracy of drive/placement, bass anchoring both the rhythms and tonality, but creating complete melodic thoughts independent of and complementary to the other instruments.
And the guitar playing is, quite simply, staggering. For a gent who played a max of 2-3 guitar solos ever, Johnny Marr's recordings document meticulous construction and effortless display of feeling.

just cause morrisey was/is a ponce, they still rocked pretty hard for soft pasty brits.

Yes indeed Morrissey is tremendously ponce-like, and I certainly don't attach significance to his lyrics the way I did 17 years ago, but how is that any different from Michael Stipe? Bob Mould? Rob Halford, even?

I still find as much excellence in his presentation as I did upon my first full-catalog listen, and he was whiney back then. So was the guy from the Cure. Or, for God's sake, that Oasis bastard. But Morrissey can sing, and he does have a reservoir of creative lyrics.

....a living joke and a bad role model.

This statement I don't know quite how to deal with because while I'm not going to a Morrissey show any time soon (nor would I faint if I did go), I have yet to find a corollary to the above quote. Sure he was a bit of a control freak, and a temperamental prima donna, but he's not Courtney Love, and that's who I would consider a bad musical role model.

Swinging in the dark here. I dunno, give specifics or something.

----

I don't like every song that they wrote, and I don't own every album anymore, but I will listen to 90% of their work over 90% of the music out there.

Not Crap.

Personally the Smiths bass player is in my top ten (alpha):

Eric Avery
Trevor Dunn
John Paul Jones
Joe Lally
Tony Levin
McCartney
Mingus
Todd Rittmann
Andy Rourke
David Wm. Sims
Watt

Thank you.
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby geiginni on Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:52 pm

Thank you Mr. Chimp for summing up so well.

I was a huge fan of these guys in high school. Their relevance to me has been completely lost over the years though.

Their output does seem to hold up remarkably well when placed next to other British pop music of the 80's. Considering the dated sound and production value of 90% of the dreck that came from the British isles.

'Ponce' is a perfect word to describe Morrissey's image. His gigantic "fag hag" overweight, distraught, goth-girl following helped none too much. Part of the problem, I always believed, was that people took every ounce of satire and self-mockery he produced as literal and earnest. His vocal delivery certainly disguised the biting irony of the words. More relevant at 16 than 30 though.

BTW - Andy Rourke was indeed one of the best bassists in a pop group at that time IMO.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Angry_Dragon on Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:09 am

They are a band that I liked a lot when I was younger. They are a band that I could never actually sit down and listen to today. They are a band that I don't mind hearing out somewhere. They are a band that is NOT CRAP
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby revrantMeat on Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:05 pm

the smiths- okay

morrisey- total CRAP
revrantMeat
ben franklin
ben franklin

Postby robert thefamilyghost on Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:35 pm

i only have one album, The Queen Is Dead...i like it...don't really feel owning much of their other stuff to be terribly urgent/necessary...sometimes they can be pretty bland, sometimes pretty good...not crap, but far from amazing or anything like that...
robert thefamilyghost
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:55 pm

Mr. Chimp wrote:Personally the Smiths bass player is in my top ten.

I love The Smiths and still listen to them regularly. They were my sole concession to "faggy" British 80's music of the semi-independent variety. The Cure? Heard one record and thought it was BORING (though their singles are okay). Echo & The Bunnymen? Never bothered. Bauhaus? Please. U2? I never understood why they were considered any better than Big Country or The Alarm, both of which I flirted with very briefly.

But The Smiths captured my imagination from the beginning, mainly because they sounded unlike anyone else and because, as "gay" as the singing was, the music absolutely kicked ass, albeit in a very lush, lyrical way. I agree that the bass playing is the foundation for everything, totally great, but all three musicians were ace. And Morrissey, however you judge him, was a singular something-or-other. Love him or hate him, he was audacious, a quality that goes a long way in being a successful rock frontman. He's also intelligent and articulate, which gives him a leg up (ulp!) on 90% of his lyrical competition.

If you ask me, and I realize you didn't, the three finest singles of the eighties (and by "singles," I mean songs you could actually here regularly on the radio) are as follows:

1. "Sweet Child o' Mine" by Guns N Roses
2. "When Doves Cry" by Prince & The Revolution
3. "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" by The Smiths
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Telefunky on Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:28 am

robert thefamilyghost wrote:i only have one album, The Queen Is Dead...i like it...don't really feel owning much of their other stuff to be terribly urgent/necessary...sometimes they can be pretty bland, sometimes pretty good...not crap, but far from amazing or anything like that...

Robert, if you like that album, you can't go wrong with any of the others. The smiths never had "filler" on their records.
"Got a pond...got a pool and
a pond. Pond would be good for you."
Telefunky
fan
fan

Postby shagboy on Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:09 am

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:3. "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" by The Smiths

i prefer frankly mr. shankly.

speaking of echo and teh bunnymen... you should bother. they're pretty good.
shagboy
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby MattPeterson on Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:55 am

Their singles are great, as are their albums, in an ENTIRELY different way. They're not crap for that alone.

Some of the best songwriters of the 80's, at the very least.

And Morrissey rocks. No one is like Morrissey. If you hear Morrissey, you think, "that's Morrissey". He is an uncompromising badass motherfucker.

I still listen to The Smiths all the time.
MattPeterson
secretary of state
secretary of state

Postby Biznono on Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:27 pm

Not crap!

Their show in Dallas in 1986 -- the one where Morrissey danced around shirtless and sang about the Queen -- in the all-time top ten for me!
Biznono
cardinal
cardinal

Postby connor on Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:25 pm

This is an easy one for me: CRAP!

Connor
connor
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby horsewhip on Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:41 pm

I like the Smiths. Their songs are melodically compelling. Of course the Smiths are also super-mega-ultra gay. Still I like them, but don't put on their records too often.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap