Postby mattw on Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:29 pm

RATM. NC with sizable waffles.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby coat on Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:40 pm

not crap w/mega waffles

some of what that drummer and bassist did was downright neato
and the guitar work ranged from okay to dorky...
but i wanted to dunk the singer's head in a toilet. as much as i agree with the politics, i thought he was an annoying little motherfucker
coat
secretary of the interior
secretary of the interior

Postby Into the Void on Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:42 pm

They rally round ya' family...with a pocket full of shells...

This is a tough call. I'll go with CRAP since they were such a one trick pony.
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:48 pm

Rage Against My Nutsack.

F' these guys.

NOT CRAP.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby wiggins on Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:51 pm

Agreed. I know Im in the minority, but I prefer Evil Empire over the first cd.

I could, as with any band, do without the political commentary. I was 14 when I listened to R.a.t.m., most of the kids that buy their cds at my store are around that age, and speaking from experience, 14 year olds dont give a fuck about politics. 14 year olds like it because it pisses off their parents.

There's all sorts of faults between their political stance and their business practices as a band, if you ask me. You can't convince me (you can try) that they didnt make a fuck-ton of money using the capitalist system, didnt keep a fuck-ton of it for themselves, and dont support corperations etc. etc. I wouldn't have a problem with this if they didn't preach the opposite.

Damn fine musics though.

NOT CRAP, gigantic waffle for "Battle of Los Angeles" and general hypocrisy.
wiggins
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby stewie on Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:53 pm

Not Crap, but only because their first album reinvigorated my 16 year-old self and my interest in music. I found Tom Morello's guitar work both intriguing and inventive at the time. I remember sitting down and trying to figure out all the solos, and failing miserably. Persistence at this endeavour made me a better guitar player though.

Many waffles. Tom Morello's comment that "music is and should only be political" was Crap, the singer sounds Crap, and the last few albums are utter Crap.

They also spawned the tuneless, needless, should-be-skinned-and-dipped-in-vinegar Audioslave. That almost made them Crap.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby ginandtacos.com on Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:03 pm

I used to work for a national organization that provides funding and assistance to student governments in public universities. We threw a benefit concert at a large Big 10 school and asked RATM to play, with the understanding that it was a charitable event and we couldn't pay more than their expenses for showing up.

They had some booking agent scumbag fax us a letter asking for $50,000 plus expenses.

It kind of nauseated me, and still does to this day even though I objectively like their albums.
ginandtacos.com
wayne thiebaud
wayne thiebaud

Postby ginandtacos.com on Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:04 pm

ps - Chuck D showed up for free, and wouldn't even let us reimburse his expenses. Ditto the Vandals.
ginandtacos.com
wayne thiebaud
wayne thiebaud

Postby Into the Void on Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:06 pm

Was the Flavor there?
Into the Void

Postby ginandtacos.com on Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:11 pm

No flava. Unfortunately.
ginandtacos.com
wayne thiebaud
wayne thiebaud

Postby Rotten Tanx on Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:00 pm

Not Crap. One of those bands that no matter how much I feel I've grown as a music fan I can always go back to and enjoy (take that guns n roses!). And so much better than other bands that try to do the same thing. And just reading up on what their lyrics were about is a crash course in the last 40 years of politics.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby horsewhip on Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:03 pm

CRAP. Waffle factor of four for Tom Morello's admittedly excellent guitar playing, the cool dirty bass tones, and "Evil Empire" is actually a halfway decent record. Overall, though? These Rages Against The Maraschino, she is CRAP.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby tallchris on Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:18 pm

CRAP, though I can still dig a couple songs off the first record when I hear them on a jukebox. And for all the talk of Tom Morello being a ground breaking guitar player, it's pretty obvious he ripped a lot of stuff off of "Repeater" and "Entertainment!". There are worse things a band could do then get a fat sixth grader into Fugazi and Gang of Four though.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Dylan on Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:33 pm

wiggins wrote:There's all sorts of faults between their political stance and their business practices as a band, if you ask me. You can't convince me (you can try) that they didnt make a fuck-ton of money using the capitalist system, didnt keep a fuck-ton of it for themselves, and dont support corperations etc. etc. I wouldn't have a problem with this if they didn't preach the opposite.

It's hard for me to come down on RATM for their hypocrisy: they're a pretty big target and ultimately, their message was a cartoony, stamping-your-feet-and-holding-your-breath-tantrum kind, but it was nice to hear a popular band singing about something other than getting laid.

Certainly not the worst offender in this genre, and Zach has one of the best angry voices in rock - NOT CRAP.
No time, no time...
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby wiggins on Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:06 pm

Dylan wrote:...it was nice to hear a popular band singing about something other than getting laid.

I agree.

On the other hand, I just think it contributes to kids being left for the sake of being left, and I dont agree with that at all. Its all propaganda, and its even more hollow knowing that they dont practice what they preach.

Aside from this, yes to dirty bass tones! yes to tasteful drumming! yes to crazy guitar sounds with a minimal amount of pedals! yes to angry doudes singing!

-wigs

oh, and this is TOTAL CRAP :
Tom Morello wrote:"music is and should only be political"
wiggins
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Rotten Tanx on Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:36 pm

I'm not sure Tom Morello said that. It sounds more like a garbled version of one of his well known quotes:

"A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cops and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs."

And I think they did practice what they preached. They never told anyone to be vegetarian and live in a commune using only recycled materials. They just encouraged people to be activists.

Not long ago Zack went on a radio show with a kid called Sherman Austin who went to prison when he was 18/19 for having a website where someone posted details of how to make a bomb (FBI agents with semi-automatic weapons raided his moms house, this was just after the patriot act came into existence). This kid was a huge Rage fan and they supported him when he needed it.

And I'll also add this quote. I can't really disagree with it (though to be perfectly honest I dont give much of a fuck either way).

"A lot of labels contacted us, and lots of them just didn't seem to understand what we wanted to do. They kept talking about the message of the music as a gimmick. They were interested in us just because there was a buzz... They saw us as the latest local rock band to be hyped. But Epic agreed to everything we asked--and they've followed through... we never saw a conflict as long as we maintained creative control. When you live in a capitalistic society, the currency of the dissemination of information goes through capitalistic channels. Would Noam Chomsky object to his works being sold at Barnes & Noble? No, because that's where people buy their books. We're not interested in preaching to just the converted. It's great to play abandoned squats run by anarchists, but it's also great to be able to reach people with a revolutionary message, people from Granada Hills to Stuttgart."
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby stewie on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:14 pm

Rotten Tanx wrote:I'm not sure Tom Morello said that. It sounds more like a garbled version of one of his well known quotes:

"A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cops and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs."

Oh, he said it alright - it was in one of those guitar player magazines (Guitar Player, maybe?) about 6 years back, but I remember it distinctly. He was being interviewed at a large rock festival at which RATM were playing, and his quote stuck in my mind because I thought it was idiotic. I even remember re-reading it because I was sure I had read it incorrectly the first time.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Run Around on Fire on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:26 pm

I say CRAP.

People who think Tom Morello is a great guitar player should concentrate on his riffs rather than his solos. His riffs are shit. They're the kind of thing you might play while fucking around with your guitar, but wouldn't think "WOW I HAVE to use that one!"

My friend also recently pointed out how pompous it was that their liner notes said "all sounds made with vocals, guitar, bass, and drums." They left out the arsenal of effects pedals that anyone with 2 hands could make goofy noises with. That said, I do think his solos sound "neat" or "interesting," but that's not enough to pull them into NC territory.

And that covers album they did...yikes.
Run Around on Fire
assclown
assclown

Postby Lobster Magnet on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:36 pm

Run Around on Fire wrote:I say CRAP.
They left out the arsenal of effects pedals that anyone with 2 hands could make goofy noises with.
He is still using only a guitar. It doesn't matter if he is using guitar effects, the signal starts with the guitar. They did that so it was understood that there was no dj in their band.
Lobster Magnet
les miserables
les miserables

Postby trilonaut on Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:59 pm

wow, i thought this would get mad crap votes. i vote NC for a certain degree of originality and for rocking hard. that said these guys are crap in so many ways. the three albums are pretty redundant, though i admit i really like the first track on the third, "testify". the covers album is kind of funny, i remember getting a kick out of "maggie's farm". the vocals and lyrics got old... they ran out of riffs very, very fast... any notions of "this band would be better without the singer", "tom morello is a guitar hero" or "tom morello at least sticks to his politics" all seemed to go out the window with audioslave... and every band they inspired is ABSOLUTE CRAP. is the music they made good enough to outweigh the crap they inspired? probably not. that's pretty damning. i thought they kicked a lot of ass when i was younger. the first time i heard "freedom", that was maybe the most badass riff i'd ever heard at the tender age of 11. NC by a tad.
trilonaut
the white ho
the white ho

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap