home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: Nirvana

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Nirvana?

crap
58
16%
not crap
308
84%
 
Total votes : 366

Band: Nirvana

Postby Chris Hardings on Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:27 pm

Nirvana
Chris Hardings
howard shore
howard shore
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:38 pm

Postby Dylan on Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:26 am

Definitely not. It would be interesting to see what they would have come up with in 10 years' time.
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:56 pm
Location: The Square

Postby thepcs on Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:41 am

not crap.

of course i was 14 when Nirvana got popular so there's no wonder i liked it. rrraaarrrgghhh ANGST!

also seeing them play was what inspired me to play the drums.
thepcs
jock
jock
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:01 pm

Postby sixteenrev on Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:31 pm

sixteenrev
pod
pod
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:51 am

Postby jupiter on Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:52 pm

So, that's what he's been up to....
User avatar
jupiter
cats
cats
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:24 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby punch_the_lion on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:37 am

Perhaps overpraised but not crap. They listened to the right bands and were in good company. I own Bleach, Nevermind, Incesticide and In Utero and still give them occasional spins. Overall not crap, no waffles.
User avatar
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3488
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:09 pm

Postby Major on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:46 am

I've never heard this band. What do they sound like?

Recommend an album that I should download.
User avatar
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6385
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:19 am
Location: 29.7604° N, 95.3698° W

Postby Peripatetic on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:51 am

MajorEverettMiller wrote:I've never heard this band. What do they sound like?

Recommend an album that I should download.


In Utero is BY FAR their best (for obvious reasons).
rysie wrote:The original dumb shit was so very nearly compressed
User avatar
Peripatetic
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3942
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:20 pm
Location: Mpls, MN

Postby Loretta on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:54 am

Peripatetic wrote:
MajorEverettMiller wrote:I've never heard this band. What do they sound like?

Recommend an album that I should download.


In Utero is BY FAR their best (for obvious reasons).


Obvious reasons!!!


oh you mean because you slept with the drummer.
What you talking bout. Most fast food automatically rules on a base level. Like pizza. And blowjobs.
User avatar
Loretta
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3158
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:10 am
Location: sTILL English

Postby Major on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:58 am

I did a little research on the internets.

I wasn't aware that Courtney Love's husband had a band. That's crazy!

Do they sound anything like Hole? 'Cause I'm a big fan of Hole (gnarf gnarf.)
User avatar
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6385
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:19 am
Location: 29.7604° N, 95.3698° W

Postby Peripatetic on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:05 am

MajorEverettMiller wrote:I did a little research on the internets.

I wasn't aware that Courtney Love's husband had a band. That's crazy!

Do they sound anything like Hole? 'Cause I'm a big fan of Hole (gnarf gnarf.)


They don't really sound like Hole, but they sound a lot like Bush.

Especially Razorblade Suitcase.

If it's In Utero you're talking about.
rysie wrote:The original dumb shit was so very nearly compressed
User avatar
Peripatetic
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3942
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:20 pm
Location: Mpls, MN

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:17 am

I may be a Buddhist, but I have yet to "enter" Nirvana. I just don't get it. Then again, I'm no Pixies fan either.

Yawn.
User avatar
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:04 am
Location: Western Kentucky

Postby tommydski on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:22 am

this was their best album imho -

Image
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
User avatar
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10002
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:22 pm
Location: UK

Postby miseryandthesun on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:47 am

MajorEverettMiller wrote:I've never heard this band. What do they sound like?

Recommend an album that I should download.


Bleach is the only Nirvana album that I can stomach. Parts of it are really neat! (Paper Cuts, anyone?)

I vote Crap with a WF 1 for a handful of songs on Bleach.

I would love for someone to explain, in a good amount of detail, how they could justify voting otherwise.

Most justifications I hear actually sound a lot like this one:

thepcs wrote:of course i was 14 when Nirvana got popular so there's no wonder i liked it. rrraaarrrgghhh ANGST!

also seeing them play was what inspired me to play the drums.


If I were to argue that Oingo Boingo was a respectable band because they inspired me to play the xylophone or because "Little Girls" was usually on repeat while I tried on my mother's lingerie as a little boy, it wouldn't be long before someone pointed out that my argument was very silly.

I could argue that Oingo Boingo was a band that I enjoyed listening to when I was young and stupid.

I could not argue that it was a respectable band.

Please explain to me what makes Nirvana a respectable band.
User avatar
miseryandthesun
men "the master" nguyen
men "the master" nguyen
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:15 pm

Postby punch_the_lion on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:50 am

Yeah but Nirvana were at least an infinitely more credible and listenable band than Oingo Boingo. I disagree with your comparison. I don't think they are particularly distinguished but wrote and performed some solid songs with decent musicianship. There are plenty worse to be criticized.
User avatar
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3488
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:09 pm

Postby Major on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:05 am

miseryandthesun wrote:If I were to argue that Oingo Boingo was a respectable band because they inspired me to play the xylophone or because "Little Girls" was usually on repeat while I tried on my mother's lingerie as a little boy, it wouldn't be long before someone pointed out that my argument was very silly.


Say waaaahh??
User avatar
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6385
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:19 am
Location: 29.7604° N, 95.3698° W

Postby placeholder on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:28 am

I've always thought they were pretty boring. CRAP. Waffle Factor of 2 for a couple of catchy songs, I guess. I don't understand the reverence for this band.
User avatar
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7971
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 pm

Postby The Code is Almighty on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:34 am

NOT CRAP

Nirvana was the gateway drug. I'd still be getting REM and TLC cd's for Christmas if Nirvana hadn't found me.
jimmy two hands wrote:You can tell someone is a Grade-A asshole if the Muppets don't like them.
The Code is Almighty
Capofamiglia
 
Posts: 4817
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:41 pm

Postby tommydski on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:46 am

what's wrong with rem?

:shock:
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
User avatar
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10002
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:22 pm
Location: UK

Postby kerble on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:50 am

tommydski wrote:what's wrong with rem?

:shock:


can't spell "ream some dude in the ass" without rem.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 18739
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 17 guests