retail therapist
retail therapist

Postby yawn on Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:18 pm

man, motorhead is not Craop
yawn
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Tue May 25, 2004 2:58 pm

i wanna get me some motorhead. what album should i get?
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby endofanera on Tue May 25, 2004 3:04 pm

toomanyhelicopters wrote:i wanna get me some motorhead. what album should i get?

No Sleep Til Hammersmith or Ace of Spades would be my picks.

But there's also like a jillion "greatest hits" style compilations that are pretty much interchangeable. I have one called No Remorse that's pretty good. With the leather cover. Oh yeah. I think it's been reissued.

Hell, now that I think of it, most Motorhead is pretty much interchangeable.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Tue May 25, 2004 3:07 pm

i think i just went through a mid-life crisis like five minutes ago. listening to a bunch of stuff off voivod's first two albums (mmmmmm...) and i got to thinking, really i need to check out motorhead because that's where all this shit comes from anyways... and then i got to thinking, i should sell my 4runner and get a 1980 camaro, and a bunch of motorhead tshirts, and a mullet.

i think i'll probably wanna just get a motorhead album for starters, and maybe take it from there.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Motorhead

Postby John W. on Tue May 25, 2004 3:15 pm

Not crap
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby horsewhip on Tue May 25, 2004 4:35 pm

toomanyhelicopters wrote:i think i just went through a mid-life crisis like five minutes ago. listening to a bunch of stuff off voivod's first two albums (mmmmmm...) and i got to thinking, really i need to check out motorhead because that's where all this shit comes from anyways... and then i got to thinking, i should sell my 4runner and get a 1980 camaro, and a bunch of motorhead tshirts, and a mullet.

i think i'll probably wanna just get a motorhead album for starters, and maybe take it from there.

Yuck. If you wanna like Motorhead, that's cool, but please don't be all ironic about it.

Anyway, Motorhead is not crap. I own fourteen of their albums. Get "No Remorse." It's a good overview of the stuff that they recorded for Bronze beween 1979 and 1983.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Tue May 25, 2004 4:43 pm

ironic? huh? i don't know what you mean. i was totally kidding about the camaro/mullet thing, although like lotsa folks i've always had a soft spot for badass cars. i got the long hair thing outta my system about 15 years ago, too, so yeah, no irony intended, just being silly.

i pretty much grew up on speed metal and managed to do so without ever owning a motorhead album. basically i've been listening to a lot of that stuff again as of late (mid 80's metallica, voivod, slayer, whatnot) and have come to the realization that i should pick up at least one (if not many) motorhead album(s) since i see them as being one of the archetypical bands who brought about the genre in the first place.

so don't worry, no irony. just looking to get up to speed on the roots of my roots is all. and thanks for the suggestions, all.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby horsewhip on Fri May 28, 2004 4:13 pm

toomanyhelicopters wrote:ironic? huh? i don't know what you mean. i was totally kidding about the camaro/mullet thing, although like lotsa folks i've always had a soft spot for badass cars. i got the long hair thing outta my system about 15 years ago, too, so yeah, no irony intended, just being silly.

so don't worry, no irony. just looking to get up to speed on the roots of my roots is all. and thanks for the suggestions, all.

Whew! Just making sure. We have a lot of kids in the Northwest that think it's "cool" and "ironic" to wear too-tight heavy metal tees while they listen to Joan Of Arc and The Smiths.

But if you actually used to be a hesher, then I have absolutely no problem with that.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Dylan on Fri May 28, 2004 4:20 pm

I want to also recommend Orgasmatron produced by Bill Laswell. It should not be your first stop, but if you appreciate Voivod (and I'm guessing Metallica's And Justice For All), you should check it out. Once you do, the 'Talli connection should make sense.
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Fri May 28, 2004 4:35 pm

first album purchased : twisted sister, stay hungry
first concert ever attended : testament, circa 'practice what you preach'
loudest concert ever attended : atrophy (opening for coroner) at the thirsty whale

granted that first one is kinda weak and all, but i was in like 3rd grade, so...

yeah, i've seen a ton of metal shows, anthrax, slayer, megadeth, coroner, napalm death, testament, godflesh, iron maiden, and a bunch of others i don't remember so good... never saw metallica, never saw sepultura.

my idea of ironic is when i played at a church summerfest (we were second stage, lonnie brooks was mainstage), in a beatles cover band, wearing a pestillence tshirt with a guy's face full of giant ants on it. and then we went ahead and played helter skelter.

the first band i was ever in (highschool) was called Roadkyll. we played covers of slayer, metallica, megadeth, ozzy, coroner... yeah, it's all good. i think i've definitely earned the right to listen to motorhead. and i appreciate your suggestion. i'm looking to check them out because of interest in their tunes that i know (i musta heard eat the rich, ace of spades, and iron fist probably twenty times each), but also sheerly of respect and reverence... it's like going to mecca or something.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby horsewhip on Fri May 28, 2004 8:31 pm

toomanyhelicopters wrote:the first band i was ever in (highschool) was called Roadkyll. we played covers of slayer, metallica, megadeth, ozzy, coroner... yeah, it's all good. i think i've definitely earned the right to listen to motorhead. and i appreciate your suggestion. i'm looking to check them out because of interest in their tunes that i know (i musta heard eat the rich, ace of spades, and iron fist probably twenty times each), but also sheerly of respect and reverence... it's like going to mecca or something.

Well, I don't think anyone has to "earn the right" to listen to Motorhead, but it's nice to see that we're on the same page.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Motorhead

Postby Hiwatt on Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:36 am

Not crap.

The newly remastered Ace Of Spades is tits!
I <3 meat hod.
Hiwatt
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Jeremy B on Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:02 am

What is everybodies opinion regarding "I Ain't No Nice Guy." The duet between Lemmy & Ozzy? I think this song fucking rips, even Slash contributes something worthwhile. Personally I like "No Sleep..." & "Ace of Spades". Alright.

-Jeremy
Jeremy B
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby placeholder on Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:24 am

March or Die is not a good album. Everything else they've released, as far as I've heard, has been good-to-great. My favorites at the moment are probably the self-titled album and Iron Fist, but that's probably just because those are the two I've listened to most recently.

A few weeks ago, I got the Classic Albums DVD about the making of Ace of Spades. It is very entertaining.

Great band, NOT CRAP, WF of 1 for March or Die.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Bradley on Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:25 pm

toomanyhelicopters wrote:i wanna get me some motorhead. what album should i get?

Start with Ace of Spades, then I'd go with Overkill. But either one will get the job done.
Bradley
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby sunlore on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:10 am

So I am listening to "No sleep´til hammersmith" right now and I thought this needed a bump. Goddamn record is saving my day. Not crap.

O.

BUMP.
sunlore
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby mackro on Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:15 pm

HELLO 2-CD DELUXE REISSUES!

(I'm a sucker, and got all four.. also got the self-titled reissue this year as well)
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Nico Adie on Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:47 pm

Obviously not crap.

There's a funny bit in Lemmy's autobiography about how they were working with a new producer. He (producer) was wearing a t-shirt with a number on it and one of the band members (could've been Lemmy, not sure) asked;

"Is that a foreign t-shirt?"
"No, why?"
"I've never seen 'cunt' spelled that way before"

This is not an exact quote, but along the same lines.
Nico Adie
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby skatingbasser on Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:39 am

Wonderful when you're in one of those moods.

Certainly Not Crap!
skatingbasser

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap