Total votes : 188

band: Weezer

Postby Chris Hardings on Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:06 am

Weezer
Chris Hardings
howard shore
howard shore

Postby Dylan on Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:14 am

I didn't really care about this band until I heard "Hash Pipe". Those guys can sure take you back...

NOT CRAP
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby Mr. Chimp on Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:02 am

Blue Album - not crap
Pinkerton - not crap
Green Album - crap
Maladroit - crap

I didn't like/care about Weezer, barring the novelty of the Spike Jonze "Happy Days" video for years. Then I happened to hear Pinkerton, years after it was released, and was immediately drawn by the opening drum salvo, minimalistic as it is, as well as the pop originality throughout the rest of the album.

Weezer's one of those bands who writes songs that are hit or miss, and the governing conscience (Cuomo) doesn't always appear to clock this distiction.

Each album has a share of good and lousy songs, with Pinkerton at about 80%, Blue Album at about 75% and 50% apiece for the last two.

All in all, a fine single CD of excellent pop/rock music could be culled from these, but overall

Weezer = CRAP

due to Cuomo's tight fist obsession with crafting the "perfect" pop song post-Pinkerton (reportedly involving the structural dissection of Nevermind-era Nirvana, over and over) instead of just rolling with what comes out of his noggin - leading to the generally lifeless output of the past two records.
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby jupiter on Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:25 am

Mr. Chimp wrote:Blue Album - not crap
Pinkerton - not crap
Green Album - crap
Maladroit - crap

Agreed on all points of your post except the crap part. The merit of the first two albums makes up for the green album, and maladroit wan't awful enough to outweigh the good stuff. not crap :WF: 9
be good or be good at it....
jupiter
cats
cats

Postby MTAR on Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:17 pm

Naaah. Not Crap.

First two albums are good, especially Pinkerton. In fact, I can't believe that the Pinkerton band is the same band (especially the drumming). Some of the Blue stuff is pretty lame, but all in all a good record. Then again, it's like highschool memories for me so Im kind of biased (sp?) towards it.

The Green album... now that's some fucking CRAP. whew, i got rid of that thing like 2 years ago and I can still smell it.

Never bothered with the last one.
MTAR

Postby Danm on Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:29 pm

Ok first of theres Blue, without this album i never would have picked up a guitar. Then Pinkerton, the powerhouse of emo anthems. Across The Sea was my favorite song for the longest time. They had some great years...

As far as I'm concerned, weezer ceased existing after 1998. Nuff' said.
Danm
mayor daley
mayor daley

Postby yushbombn on Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:27 am

yeah... weezer are good... definitely not crap... but i agree that their songs are either hit or miss.... but weezer are how pop bands should be
yushbombn
piece of shit
piece of shit

Postby yawn on Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:30 am

I think this is the only band that I dislike just because of the thought of them.
yawn
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby itchy on Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:34 am

due to Cuomo's tight fist obsession with crafting the "perfect" pop song post-Pinkerton (reportedly involving the structural dissection of Nevermind-era Nirvana, over and over) instead of just rolling with what comes out of his noggin - leading to the generally lifeless output of the past two records.

i heard about this! - he uses some program he made to analyze #1 hits and find some underlying mathematical formula with which he writes his own chord progressions. can you believe that!?! ANALYZE...NIRVANA???!?!?!
well, despite this lunacy, i too have fond memories of the blue album, and pinkerton just completely rocks, so ill vote NOT CRAP.
itchy
duke
duke

Postby blearyeyedme on Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:17 pm

Agreed. The blue album and pinkerton are wonderful albums... I remember as a kid, my cousin singing "If you want to destroy my sweater".... haha... man, that was awesome... then I started to see the Buddy Holly video on Mtv... Also, my buddy recorded Butterfly along with some of his own acoustic music.

Very fond memories indeed...

not crap.
<>< = My Absolute Truth!

Lacuna Coil = Greatest Band Ever!
blearyeyedme
troll
troll

Postby blake on Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:28 am

In my eye anyone who creates a masterpeice(Pinkerton) encased in two solid albums(Blue, Green) is not crap.
blake
viscount
viscount

Postby Lazybones on Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:17 am

After Pinkerton, after the bass player / Rentals dude left or got kicked out... CRAP. Stupid poopy crap.
Lazybones
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby ironyengine on Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:22 am

I liked the blue album, I liked Pinkerton even more, and then they learned how to suck rocks or something. Crap.
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Linus Van Pelt on Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:43 am

I voted Not Crap, like months ago. Then I heard their new single on the radio. "Beverly Hills, that's where I want to be" or some shit. Argh. Maybe I want to change my vote. I just don't know. That song sounds like a parody of themselves.
Why do you make it so scary to post here.
Linus Van Pelt

Postby Into the Void on Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:57 am

CRAP. As said earlier, two good albums, and everything after that is absolutely fucking horrible. What happened?
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby placeholder on Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:03 am

I always thought these guys were a terrible joke band, and suspected that they were label-manufactured. They're immensely irritating in any case, and therefore CRAP. Zero waffle factor.

For some reason, I just can't believe this band is now considered influential. I hate the records, and I hate the "clever" Spike Jonze (or whoever did them) videos.
Last edited by placeholder on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby mattw on Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:08 am

wes9 wrote:What happened?

I've found myself asking that question a lot in the past 5-6 yrs.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Lobster Magnet on Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:10 am

I've had a change of heart.

Not crap.
Last edited by Lobster Magnet on Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lobster Magnet
les miserables
les miserables

Postby Run Around on Fire on Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:59 am

I don't understand the almost universally-held notion that Pinkerton is an emo album, or started the emo craze. Aside from "Across the Sea" and "Butterfly," the lyrics are even goofier than the first album. "Pink Triangle," "Tired of Sex," "The Good Life," "El Scorcho"....these are not emotional heartbreak songs. The lyrics border on Weird Al territory.

That said, I agree with the other almost universally-held notion: the first 2 albums are good and the rest is awful. Although I like the first 2, when I think of Weezer nowadays, I think CRAP.
Run Around on Fire
assclown
assclown

Postby Angry_Dragon on Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:00 pm

"Only In Dreams" was a cool song because of that breakdown in the middle.

Everything else was/is CRAP!!!
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap