Total votes : 110

Band: System of a Down

Postby jupiter on Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:15 am

System of a Down
jupiter
cats
cats

Postby mattw on Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:47 am

wakeup!!! qwedflkdlkajldjljlfadshakeupsadskhdlshdlhsahdlashldhashd shake up!!! asalshlahslahsla table!!!

crap!

Oh, but you should hear Tenacious D's cover of that song, 'Chop Suey' or whatever, it's probably the only funny thing they've done. If you can find it online or whatever, it'd be worth it...

'For the longest time, I thought the song was just gibberish, but you know I wanted to see if it had a message and what the lyrics were. So Kyle and I went out and got the tab book or whatever and looked at the lyrics. And you know what? It means absolutely nothing!'
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Chris Hardings on Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:35 am

I have to say, all sell-out-idness aside, I think this band is lumped in with NuMetal and that Mall rock garbage. But I think they really have a sound of their own. I just wish somebody knew how to get it on tape..........
Chris Hardings
More implosion lest I need, no wait, karowack need imposter

Band>
A Strange Film - Rence or Ramos (ignore)
Chris Hardings
howard shore
howard shore

Postby mattw on Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:32 pm

Kyle is Jack Black's sidekick in the D...this quote was said after they finished performance of said 'Chop Suey' song

OK

They have a 'new sound' or 'nu sound' but yes, the production is really crap. It sounds like the drummer is playing in a tin sandbox. The guy's voice is just a little too crazy-on-crack for me sir...
mattw

Postby Dylan on Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:52 pm

I hate to admit that I've actually found myself not turning this off when I hear it on nu-metal radio. However, I recognize a guilty pleasure more readily nowadays so I have to vote CRAP. Because ultimately, it is.
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby cal on Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:39 pm

bands whose members wear hockey jerseys = crap.
cal
laney
laney

Postby Maurice on Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:30 pm

I remember hearing that "Toxicity" song on the radio, and thinking that it was a half-decent parody of nu-metal...and then when they were back-announced, I figured that it probably wasn't an intentional parody.
Maurice
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re: Band: System of a Down

Postby Lobster Magnet on Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:18 am

While being forced to listen to the radio today, although SOAD is crap, they are 10 million times better than anything else newer I heard on the radio. I like the video they did earlier this year that got banned from TV though.
Lobster Magnet
les miserables
les miserables

Postby congleton on Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:40 pm

i worked with a band earlier this year that adored this band as insisted we listen to the record as "reference point". ho hum. now i hated the way the record sounded and i didn't really care for the band but heres the deal....

after they left i found myself listening to album on my own time casually. i am positive that if guys had a different approach in the studio people would feel differently about them. the nu metal thing actually seems forced with them to me.

i cant really say i like them but i like there politics and some of the really over the top song ideas.

luke warm crap. if you catch me on the right day i would say not crap. but thats not today.
congleton
pod
pod

Postby itchy on Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:40 am

the lead singer has a decent voice when he's actually singing and not growling gibberish....

at one point, i actually liked listening to "spiders"

arials is just about the worst song ever. and for about 6 months, that was all i heard when i turned on the radio. i no longer listen to the radio. thanks, system of a down.

CRAP.

-eric
itchy
duke
duke

Postby Christopher_Dragon on Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:52 pm

Pitchfork seems to have deemed them their pick of the nu metal litter.
Expect to see kids wearing Death Cab For Cutie and/or Clap Your hands Say Yeah t-shirts at the next System of a Down gig thanks to your good friends at Pitchfork.
Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Shin guards for all!
Christopher_Dragon
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby placeholder on Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:57 pm

Christopher_Dragon wrote:Pitchfork seems to have deemed them their pick of the nu metal litter.
Expect to see kids wearing Death Cab For Cutie and/or Clap Your hands Say Yeah t-shirts at the next System of a Down gig thanks to your good friends at Pitchfork.

That "Toxicity" song is pretty much Mogwai's "Summer" with cock instrumentation and goofy/irritating singing.
placeholder

Postby kerble on Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:59 pm

haha! I totally enjoy this stupid piece of shit band.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby mackro on Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:07 pm

"Prison Song" is really amazing actually. And I like "Chop Suey!"... I think what endeared me to this song wasn't the song so much as that one webcam video of the two kids who head-banged to this song, and did these hilarious facial expressions during the softer more lush parts of the song.

The second half of Toxicity is really boring.

I really should give the new one and Steal This Album a listen.
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby ironyengine on Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:27 pm

Christopher_Dragon wrote:Pitchfork seems to have deemed them their pick of the nu metal litter.

I would actually go see SOAD for this, because those kids would tear the DCFC fans apart. I would pay hard-earned money to see DCFC fans shredded by nu-metal fans.
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Run Around on Fire on Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:25 pm

ironyengine wrote:

I would actually go see SOAD for this, because those kids would tear the DCFC fans apart. I would pay hard-earned money to see DCFC fans shredded by nu-metal fans.

Really? Personally, I'd like to see the nu-metal jocks on the losing end of just about anything.
Run Around on Fire
assclown
assclown

Postby Rick Reuschel on Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:47 pm

I can't get past the voice and I don't hear anything unique or well done but I haven't listened to a whole lot either.
Rick Reuschel
jiminy cricket
jiminy cricket

Postby the_rekoner on Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:53 pm

wasn't much into them until i saw them live. they were pretty fuckin good they all have pretty good voices too
I'm a cunt you know.
the_rekoner
bocce bowler
bocce bowler

Postby tmidgett on Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:54 pm

unique, well-rendered crap
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Tree on Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 pm

Having a guitarist who expresses more facial emotion than the singer automatically puts you in Hootie and the Blowfish territory.

Crap
Tree
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap