Total votes : 175

Band: Cheap Trick

Postby max on Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:28 pm

Cheap Trick?
max
doctor feelgood
doctor feelgood

Postby Dylan on Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:03 pm

I think if you were to base the voting on radio play, definitely CRAP, but I have to respect them for what they do and continue to do. I would not like to own more than, say, three albums by them. NOT CRAP.
Code: Select all
:WF:
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby tmidgett on Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:26 pm

SAMURAI ROCK BAND

the greatest bootleg ever...uh, that i've ever heard, i mean.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby connor on Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:21 pm

Tough call. Cheap Trick put out a bunch of shitty records. And although I love certain songs from Dream Police, In Color, and Heaven Tonight, it's still hard to hear them live then listen to how watered down and glossy the studio stuff is (with the obvious exception of the near-perfect first record). Christ, it doesn't even sound like the same band!

I initially had a hard time accepting Zander's vocals, as for a kid who grew up in a post-poodle metal world, it's hard to separate the initial similarity.

I recently picked up Cheap Trick (1997) and was pleasantly surprised. "You Let A Lotta People Down" is one of their best.

I thought Budokan was pretty damn impressive, then I picked up the recent two-disc set and was absolutely blown away. It pretty much makes the original single-disc album obsolete. And nothing can fucking touch that first record.

I hope I age as gracefully as Tom Peterson.

NOT CRAP.

Connor
connor
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Redline on Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:21 pm

Besides McCartney, that was one of the easiest NOT CRAPS ever.
Redline

Postby Surfrider on Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:21 pm

Redline wrote:Besides McCartney, that was one of the easiest NOT CRAPS ever.

Exactly what Redline said.
You're a shit DM and i want my pizza money back.
(Let's Violence Cowpiss ne!)
Surfrider
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby squarewave on Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:13 am

I got a boot version of a modern studio re-do of In Color that was supposed to be done by Steve, it includes some new versions of old B-Sides and unreleased material... BTW, It sounds phenomenal.

Hey Steve!!, any comment??

Are any others done?? and are they going to officially see the light of day??
squarewave
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby kerble on Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:24 am

2nd Rick wrote:I got a boot version of a modern studio re-do of In Color that was supposed to be done by Steve, it includes some new versions of old B-Sides and unreleased material... BTW, It sounds phenomenal.

Hey Steve!!, any comment??

Are any others done?? and are they going to officially see the light of day??

Here's a related, non-informational thread with a ggreat play by pdc_heavy.
http://www.electricalaudio.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3908

Xheap Trick? Not crap. I even like "the Flame." Robin Z. has a great voice. very striking.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Surfrider on Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:06 pm

kerble wrote:Xheap Trick? Not crap. I even like "the Flame." Faiz

Wow. You really are a big fan. :o

xx
You're a shit DM and i want my pizza money back.
(Let's Violence Cowpiss ne!)
Surfrider
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:26 pm

Dylan wrote:I think if you were to base the voting on radio play, definitely CRAP.

I disagree.

"I Want You To Want Me", "Surrender", "Dream Police", "Voices" and "Ain't That A Shame" are beautiful rock radio singles, and more than make up for "The Flame" and "Don't Be Cruel".

And I think that "Tonight It's You" and "If You Want My Love" work well as rock radio singles, too.

But, as Dylan also indicates, Cheap Trick is much more than their radio hits. The first four Cheap Trick studio albums (plus "Live At Budokan") are great and beautiful. How I love those records.

And even during their non-Tom Peterson "down" years, they were able to knock out great singles like "She's Tight".

And having seen them in concert recently, I will attest to the fact that they still bring it. Are they a better band than they were in 1978? They just might be. In my book, there is much to be said for a band that comes back with such a vengeance.

Anyway, Cheap Trick is an easy NOT CRAP vote for me.

What a band.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby run joe, run on Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:30 pm

Cheap Trick: A Story

by run joe, run

One day me and my friends went to ATP it was the Shellac curated one we saw lots of good bands like Dead Moon and Plush and also Shellac. We had a very good time and also The Breeders played and lots of good bands. At the end of the three days we were very tired. The last bands to play were Cheap Trick and The Fall we tried to choose between them. Me and my friends had never listened to Cheap Trick only heard one or two songs and knew the silly man with the guitar and knew they had a very famous live album done in Japan. Some of my friends chose The Fall but me and some others chose Cheap Trick it was a real gamble but that is the one we chose.

The nice man from Shellac his name is Steve Albini he came onto the stage and told the audience he was not in Cheap Trick but he was proud to call them friends and his name was Steve. Then the band called Cheap Trick came on the stage and started playing songs and I liked the sound of it and went near the front to see the band better. I was close to the silly guitarist man and the singer and they played songs which I didn't know but when I heard them play the songs I thought that I knew them all already and that they sounded like classic famous songs that I loved straight away. Each song after the next seemed better and better and all with great choruses and then I started thinking the guitarist man is not really silly he just pretends to be silly like a funny clown but he is not silly when he plays the music on his guitar.

Then I realised that the man who was singing he was very good and his voice was a very good voice and he did not speak to the audience not even once because he was concentrating on the singing he was doing so much. I looked around me and saw that some people maybe thought the band was a silly rock band and were funny but they were enjoying it as well and some of the people liked it a lot. I stayed at the front and I realised that the band Cheap Trick were not silly and I started to feel strange like it was special. The guitarist man said the singer was his favourite singer in the world and the singer's name was Robin Zander and I looked at him and he was very sweaty and not saying a word to the audience still but singing as if they had told him he was going to die very soon and this might be his last ever time to sing.

I looked at the other men in the band and they were called Bun E. Carlos on the drums and Tom Petersen on the bass and the funny guitarist was called Rick Neilsen and he threw plectrums into the audience and I got some of them and when I watched the other men in the band playing the songs I thought maybe they had been told that this might also be their last concert so better make it a special one. But I was more looking at Robin Zander the man who was singing because I could tell he used to be a famous rock star on people's posters on their bedroom walls and now he was much older and maybe he once wanted to give up singing because he was older but instead decided to concentrate on the singing and get better and better at it as he got older. He was very sweaty and it didn't put him off and he was very exciting to watch and he didn't move around.

As I heard more and more songs in the concert I thought about how the band Cheap Trick had played big stadiums and had girls screaming at them and been very famous and probably had lots of drugs and other things like that but now they were here playing to some people who didn't know them or really care about them like I didn't know them and some of the people watching probably wanted to see The Fall instead. But they did not get sad and instead they played like they did not want to be anywhere else or be doing anything else in the whole world. The more I watched and listened the more I thought that maybe they were much better than a lot of bands I had seen before who were even much younger than them. I became lost in the power of the band and I think that maybe someone like a doctor or a powerful ghost told them that if they do not play the best concert they can possibly play they will not live anymore and the band Cheap Trick played the show at ATP as if it was for their lives.

Cheap Trick played for their lives and because they want to live and want to play rock music more than most other bands I had ever seen in my life. As I watched them I understood what true rock music was and it was maybe the best band playing a concert I have ever seen.

I have never seen a band give so much and I was in a daze afterwards and thankyou to the nice man Steve Albini and Shellac for asking them to play at the festival where I was I will never forget it. Some of my friends didn't like it but some of them said it was one of the best things they had ever seen and we couldn't really talk to eachother properly. Then we went home the end.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.
run joe, run
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:26 pm

If they want my love, they got it.

Beautiful story, Run Joe Run.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby kerble on Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:53 am

I think run joe, run's story ought'a cancel out at least five 'crap' votes.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby bellulah on Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:44 am

re: run joe run story

nothing could ever encapsulate (sp?) the beauty and joy that is rock music better than that story. having seen them live last year, i know every word of that to be the god's honest truth.

they're the only powerpop band i've seen win over metalheads and stoners alike.
bellulah
evita
evita

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:23 pm

run joe, run wrote:I think that maybe someone like a doctor or a powerful ghost told them that if they do not play the best concert they can possibly play they will not live anymore.

That's good.

I'd go see a band called A Doctor Or A Powerful Ghost.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby connor on Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:10 pm

I'd like to add that Dream Police is easily the best of their studio records (besides the first album) though a certain alternate version of their second album makes me think otherwise.
connor

Postby Jodi S. on Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:08 am

When I was a child of 6 or so, my parents took me on my yearly trip to Disneyworld ('cos the grandparents lived nearby.)

I was a huge fan of "I Want You To Want Me" and sang along to it every time it poured out of the radio in my mom's '72 Dodge Dart (seats 8, for dinner) to the point where my parents actually purchased the record for me.

In any case, my parents and I were waiting in line for the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, and my father points over my shoulder and says to me "Hey, it's that guy from that band, they sing that song you like..." and I turned around to face Rick Nielsen.

In an act that to this day remains one of the coolest things my father has ever done (eclipsed only, perhaps, by his bequeathment to me of his Canon FT-QL from 1965), he jockeyed me into position so that when they loaded the boats for the ride, I got to sit between Rick and Bun, with Robin and Tom behind me.

Apparently they spoke to me, and I spoke back. They were nice to me.

If they were to be judged by this alone, they would be Not Crap.

However, they made some incredible records.

So still, not crap.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby endofanera on Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:55 am

burun wrote:When I was a child of 6 or so, my parents took me on my yearly trip to Disneyworld ('cos the grandparents lived nearby.)

I was a huge fan of "I Want You To Want Me" and sang along to it every time it poured out of the radio in my mom's '72 Dodge Dart (seats 8, for dinner) to the point where my parents actually purchased the record for me.

In any case, my parents and I were waiting in line for the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, and my father points over my shoulder and says to me "Hey, it's that guy from that band, they sing that song you like..." and I turned around to face Rick Nielsen.

In an act that to this day remains one of the coolest things my father has ever done (eclipsed only, perhaps, by his bequeathment to me of his Canon FT-QL from 1965), he jockeyed me into position so that when they loaded the boats for the ride, I got to sit between Rick and Bun, with Robin and Tom behind me.

Apparently they spoke to me, and I spoke back. They were nice to me.

If they were to be judged by this alone, they would be Not Crap.

However, they made some incredible records.

So still, not crap.

Salut, burun's Dad! Salut, Cheap Trick! This post, she is to make me cry!

So good to hear this beautiful tale of childhood heroes, especially now!

Salut!
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:34 pm

kerble wrote: I even like "the Flame."

Like Al Campanis, Jimmy "The Greek," Gary Hart, and Paris Hilton before you, a brilliant career has been undone by a single grave mistake.

Sorry2004, kerble.
Angus Jung

Postby 154 on Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:26 pm

he jockeyed me into position so that when they loaded the boats for the ride, I got to sit between Rick and Bun, with Robin and Tom behind me

i think it's cool they take that 'pair of cool guys/pair of lame guys' concept to who sits next who on a roller coaster!

..probably not, but it's a funny thought.

not crap!

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap