Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby SchnappM on Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:23 pm

Duh.
SchnappM
pinocchio
pinocchio

Postby agent202 on Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:12 am

fucking good band
every morning, all day i put myself away...
agent202
doyle brunson
doyle brunson

Postby BadComrade on Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:29 am

Something tells me there's a more successful C/NC thread on them somewhere. I'd kerble it, but then, you know... what's kerble gonna do?

They're playing in Toronto soon. It will probably be the only show they do this year. My friend is thinking of going to it. I might just go with him. One of the many bands I never thought I'd get to see live, and was glad that they were still good when I saw them...
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby kerble on Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:43 pm

BadComrade wrote:Something tells me there's a more successful C/NC thread on them somewhere. I'd kerble it, but then, you know... what's kerble gonna do?

your mom.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Mayfair on Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:34 am

Mayfair
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Jodi S. on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:20 pm

BadComrade wrote:They're playing in Toronto soon. It will probably be the only show they do this year. My friend is thinking of going to it. I might just go with him. One of the many bands I never thought I'd get to see live, and was glad that they were still good when I saw them...

Don't do it.

I mean it.

The last time I saw them live, they looked as if they were forced onstage at gunpoint.

Sour, sour, sour.

I was so heartbroken that they didn't even pretend to be into the show that I went home and curled up into a fetal ball and cried.

OK, so the last part isn't true.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Flaneur on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:27 pm

There's also going to be a public interview with Verlaine at that same festival in Toronto (NXNE).
Flaneur
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby BadComrade on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:27 pm

Hmmmmm. Last time Television were in town, Richard Lloyd played at the Empty Bottle. I walked in to pay, heard about 30 seconds of what he was doing, and decided to go out to eat instead...

I'll pass on your advice, thanks!
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby tmidgett on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:38 pm

BadComrade wrote:Hmmmmm. Last time Television were in town, Richard Lloyd played at the Empty Bottle. I walked in to pay, heard about 30 seconds of what he was doing, and decided to go out to eat instead...

I'll pass on your advice, thanks!

That Lloyd show was dullsville, I agree. I left way early also.

But Television were excellent just prior.

It seems possible they'd be burnt on it by now.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby gio on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:47 pm

Lloyd solo never really impressed me... I like the album Alchemy all right, but it's nothing to make mejump up and find out when he's playing his next old-man solo show.

But Television... I like this band so much that given the opportunity I think I'd go see them, just for the chance that I wouldn't be let down. I was in diapers in their heyday, so i'd have to give it a chance!
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby eephour on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:58 am

I was just going to post a C/NC on Ton Verlaine's solo suff.
Is it any good?
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Jodi S. on Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:32 pm

OK, so I Television in Central Park today, and I consider it the last real Television show ever (since Lloyd is leaving the band...but he wasn't there, so maybe this one won't count?) and it was good, but not transcendent.

It had its moments, but it makes sense for them to stop if he's not going to be in the band any more. The guy they had playing his parts just didn't get it, I don't think.

Ficca and Verlaine still fucking have it, though.

It bums me out that I missed what I consider to be their best era of live shows (the 70's) but I am happy I have a few recordings so I can pretend I was there.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby rocker654 on Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:32 am

I was turned off by the hype, but after hearing the music, I was turned on by how good it was.

Not Crap. I prefer anything that they did to almost all early '70s rock music from NY. They were better than Blondie, and stood with The Ramones in good stead.
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby chaps on Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:41 am

band?
chaps

Postby Mark Lansing on Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:40 am

I saw Television twice. Once was on the tour they did after the self-titled reunion album, which was a serious disappointment; they sounded fine on the stuff from the new album but were clearly going through the motions on earlier material, and Verlaine and Lloyd were obviously pissed off at one another (and actually passing messages to one another though Fred Smith). A real letdown.

Second time was at the Metro in 2001, and they were splendid. Verlaine and Llyd were bouncing great stuff off one another, Fred Sith and Billy Ficca were in the pocket, and Verlaine was having enough fun that he actually cracked some sort of joke. A friend later passed me an audence recording of the gig which confirmed my suspicions -- a great show.

So, as a live act, it seems to depend on what night you see Television, but the good show was good enough that I'd certainly brave seeing them again (but only if Lloyd was there as Verlaine's foil ... and I hadn't heard he'd stopped playing with Television. What's the story there? ).

As for the albums, Marquee Moon and Adventure are peerless, inspiring stuff, true manna from heaven. The third album isn't as good, but it has some fine moments and is worth a listen.

And I'm surprised Lloyd was a snooze on stage. Outside of Television, I've seen him play with Rocket From The Tombs and Matthew Sweet, and at those shows he was absolutely on fire, really letting loose with some amazing noises. He's not much of a songwriter, but as a player he's always delivered the goods in my book.

Television? Not Crap, not now, not ever ... not even on the night they weren't all that great.
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell
Mark Lansing
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby yaledelay on Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:59 pm

Mark Lansing wrote:
And I'm surprised Lloyd was a snooze on stage. Outside of Television, I've seen him play with Rocket From The Tombs and Matthew Sweet, and at those shows he was absolutely on fire, really letting loose with some amazing noises. He's not much of a songwriter, but as a player he's always delivered the goods in my book.

I must say I have never been so in awe of a guitarist as when we opened for Rocket From the Tombs, its was as if he was playing a totally different instrument than me... even watching Melt Bannana was not as mind blowing (and that is saying alot) he is a guitar god...
yaledelay

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:10 pm

Television are the definition of Not Crap.

Well, at least Marquee Moon is. Don't know about the others.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby kerble on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:21 pm

the Book was way better.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby Mark Lansing on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:49 pm

Does anyone know who was playing guitar with Television at the recent show in Central Park? Apparently Richard Lloyd has been in the hospital and was too sick to do the gig ... he'd already announced it would be his last show with Television, according to Pitchfork:

http://pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/436 ... television

I'm trying to imagine what player would have the talent and the balls to step into those shoes.
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell
Mark Lansing

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap