Beatles vs. Misfits

Beatles
65%
Misfits
35%

Total votes : 77

Either/Or: The Beatles vs. The Misfits.

Postby horsewhip on Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:15 am

This is based on a drunken conversation I've had with some friends a couple of times. As accomplished musicians and songwriters as Lennon/McCarthy are, I always have and always will enjoy the Misfits more. To me, The Misfits are much better than The Beatles. Some consider this blasphemy. I think blasphemy makes the world go 'round.

Oh, and saying "apples and oranges" is a cop out.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Angriest_Dragon on Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:24 am

I choose The Beatles simply because I hate pretty much everything Glenn Danzig has done with the exception of those first 3 Danzig records.
Angriest_Dragon
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Mayfair on Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:58 am

In my opinion the Misfits are not fit to de-flea the dogs owned by the people who pick up the garbage from the folks who manufacture and distribute the bathroom tissue used to whip the ass of the guy who cleans the pool of Bernard Purdy... who falsely claims to have drummed on the early Beatles records. Sorry. That is as close to the Beatles as Glenn and the gang will ever get.
Mayfair
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby placeholder on Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:20 am

I like the Beatles (from Rubber Soul on) quite a lot, but I detest a whole bunch of their songs. I can't think of a Misfits song I don't like.

Misfits win this one easily for me. They're one of my all-time favorite bands. The Beatles, not so much.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Rotten Tanx on Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:57 am

Nothing against The Beatles but I don't own any of their albums but I own a few Misfits albums and love them.

Misfits it is.

While we're at it, can anyone tell me which Misfits albums I should own and which to avoid? Whenever I'm considering buying one I look at the back cover and see it was released in 98 or something. That doesnt sound promising.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby ChristopherM on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:13 am

Rotten Tanx wrote:While we're at it, can anyone tell me which Misfits albums I should own and which to avoid? Whenever I'm considering buying one I look at the back cover and see it was released in 98 or something. That doesnt sound promising.

The only thing released (from the original lineup) after '85 were collections, the Static Age sessions, and the live album, Evilive. If you're looking at stuff that was released in the '98 or something like that then you're probably looking at the "Resurrected" lineup, which only released two albums...American Psycho and Famous Monsters.

Stick with the old stuff. Trust me.

By the way, did anyone hear about Glenn and Doyle doing like half an hour worth of Misfits stuff, in the middle of his Danzig set? Crazy shit. It was the first time the two have performed together in 20 years. And actually it was the first time Doyle has taken to the stage since he went on hiatus.
Oh, and fuck Mars Volta.
ChristopherM
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Mark Lansing on Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:57 am

If nothing else can be said of the Beatles (which I don't believe is the case), at least they had the good sense to quit when they knew they had peaked (and even made Abbey Road to compensate for the fact Let It Be sucked). The Misfits had already started to get dodgy before they broke up (lets face it, Static Age and Walk Among Us were easily their best records, and it all went downhill after that), and the work of the post-Danzig edition of the band has been thoroughly dreadful. (You would think a band with Marky Ramone and Dez Cadena would at least be fun, but not so at all.)

Also worth considering: the Beatles' dumb hair was better than the Misfits' dumb hair. The Beatles made better records and inspired a lot of good bands, while the Misfits seem to have inspired a lot of untalented assholes. And every day I see at least one fate moronic metal kid wearing a Misfits shirt, and while you can't blame a band for their fans, the fact they attract so many stupid people with bad taste has to mean something.
Mark Lansing
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby The Kid on Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:18 pm

Mark Lansing wrote:The Beatles made better records.

This is a huge understatement. Huge!
I've got nothing against the Misfits, or a couple of the Danzing records. I think some of it is very cool.
But the Misfits are more properly compared to, say, Negative Approach, or other bands that were their contemporaries and operated in a similar fashion.
The goddamn Beatles? Sometimes I think people talk about the Beatles having no more exposure to their work than 10-15 of the most famous songs and the Ed Sullivan footage of the screaming girls.
The Kid
canasta
canasta

Postby ChristopherM on Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:22 pm

Mark Lansing wrote:You would think a band with Marky Ramone and Dez Cadena would at least be fun, but not so at all.

It's sad isn't it? Especially when you see Dez in make up...and glasses. Marky left...and Robo is back. But the most important thing, and I think it speaks volumes, is that Doyle left. Jerry's own brother can't even support his endeavors! It pisses me off when I think what that band has become.
Oh, and fuck Mars Volta.
ChristopherM
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby placeholder on Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:29 pm

Mark Lansing wrote:The Beatles made better records and inspired a lot of good bands, while the Misfits seem to have inspired a lot of untalented assholes.

The Beatles never inspired any untalented assholes in godawful bands! No way!

Mark Lansing wrote:And every day I see at least one fate moronic metal kid wearing a Misfits shirt, and while you can't blame a band for their fans, the fact they attract so many stupid people with bad taste has to mean something.

Never in my life have I seen some total jerkoff wearing a Beatles shirt! I'm sure all the Beatles "fans" out there have otherwise impeccable musical taste.

I don't disagree with you about the Misfits having many stupid fans and inspiring many terrible bands, but I the Beatles are "guilty" of the same things, probably to a much higher degree.

And, yes, I realize this is all subjective and a completely stupid thing to argue.
placeholder

Postby Mr. Chimp on Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:44 pm

How can anyone take this seriously?

It's like comparing a wolverine to a blue whale. Not even on the same order of magnitude.
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

I bass Century Rocket Building & Small Awesome

I drum Light Coma & Bully Pulpit & BooKoos
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby horsewhip on Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:11 pm

Mr. Chimp wrote:How can anyone take this seriously?

It's like comparing a wolverine to a blue whale. Not even on the same order of magnitude.

horsewhip wrote:Oh, and saying "apples and oranges" is a cop out.

Jus' go ahead and pick one!

This thread may not meant to be anything else but a lot of fun. I'm just happy that a couple folks didn't vote Beatles. Because I hate the fucking Beatles.

Rotten Tanx, any legitimate release from the Danzig era is fine. Just save Earth AD 'til last.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Mr. Chimp on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:20 pm

horsewhip wrote:
Mr. Chimp wrote:It's like comparing a wolverine to a blue whale.

horsewhip wrote:Oh, and saying "apples and oranges" is a cop out.

Jus' go ahead and pick one!

Blue Whale (that would be the Beatles)

The Misfits have less timelessness than the mostly timeless Beatles.
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

I bass Century Rocket Building & Small Awesome

I drum Light Coma & Bully Pulpit & BooKoos
Mr. Chimp

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:29 pm

Mr. Chimp wrote:How can anyone take this seriously?

Wolverine. Definitely the wolverine.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Hmm..

Postby BeanMaestroFresh on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:47 pm

Let me tell you something - In my generation the Misfits are fucking EVERYWHERE. It gets so old. Every single one of my friends has some sort of Misfits paraphernalia - be it shirts, stickers, patches, buttons, belt buckles, car stickers, my lord..so many people are obsessed with this band. It gets disgusting and old after a while. I can't take it much longer. My friend was just talking about getting some Misfits bass-strings. Uh - what the fuck?

I enjoy their early stuff...I do - I like the Misfits. But the Beatles made such better music. It's hard for me to listen to the Misfits without getting bored after a while..the Beatles had a lot of variety. (Atleast Rubber Soul+)

Beatles > Misfits
BeanMaestroFresh
piece of shit
piece of shit

Re: Hmm..

Postby horsewhip on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:53 pm

BeanMaestroFresh wrote:Let me tell you something - In my generation the Misfits are fucking EVERYWHERE. It gets so old. Every single one of my friends has some sort of Misfits paraphernalia - be it shirts, stickers, patches, buttons, belt buckles, car stickers, my lord..so many people are obsessed with this band. It gets disgusting and old after a while. I can't take it much longer. My friend was just talking about getting some Misfits bass-strings. Uh - what the fuck?

I enjoy their early stuff...I do - I like the Misfits. But the Beatles made such better music. It's hard for me to listen to the Misfits without getting bored after a while..the Beatles had a lot of variety. (Atleast Rubber Soul+)

Beatles > Misfits

Maybe it's because I'm a grown-ass man and don't hang out too much with those kind of kids, but that shit doesn't really bother me. Maybe it's because my friends are more into listening to records than collecting bullshit?

I think it's worth noting that The Beatles were mass-marketed to an even greater degree druring their heyday.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Re: Hmm..

Postby BeanMaestroFresh on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:58 pm

horsewhip wrote:Maybe it's because I'm a grown-ass man and don't hang out too much with those kind of kids, but that shit doesn't really bother me. Maybe it's because my friends are more into listening to records than collecting bullshit?

I think it's worth noting that The Beatles were mass-marketed to an even greater degree druring their heyday.

Oh, I know..Beatlemania..but I've never had to deal with it first hand because, just like you are a grown-ass man and don't have to be around the bullshit collecting of my generation, I am a kid and I never had to deal with the bullshit collecting of the Beatles' generation.
BeanMaestroFresh
piece of shit
piece of shit

Postby horsewhip on Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:03 pm

Well, I'm not part of the Beatles' or the Misfits' generations. The term "grown-ass man" was perhaps poorly chosen. I meant it to mean "Hot Topic makes myself and most of my peers feel really fucking old, despite being in our mid-twenties, so we take an ostrich-esque approach to the commodification of punk rock."

EDIT: Maybe I think The Misfits are The Beatles of the original punk era? I dunno.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby John W. on Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:33 pm

I ain't no god damn son of a bitch, but I must say the Beatles.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby run joe, run on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:42 pm

I had to put this into my special Band Comparison Computer, because I wasn't sure.

After making several bleeping and sqwonking noises, the computer told me that it was indeed a very amusing poll. It then displayed the results, which stated very clearly that the winning band was The Beatles, with The Misfits a close 4th behind.

I can email the data printout to any interested parties.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.
run joe, run
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap