Total votes : 229

Artist: Jimi Hendrix

Postby Dylan on Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:26 pm

I don't think we've done this one yet.
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby Dylan on Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:24 am

Not a lot of action about Jimi. I hate to say it, but he may not have gotten more interesting if he had lived longer. The later stuff kind of flirts with what would eventually become 'jam band' territory. NOT CRAP.
Dylan

Postby itchy on Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:48 am

i would definitely say that jimi hendrix is nowhere near on par with other guitar greats of the classic rock age such as jimmy page, joe perry, or...dare i say it....eddie van halen (great guitarist...horrible music)...but back to jimi...

he may have only used about 2 or 3 different scales when playing, but he was a real sloppy player and used great effects, so i'll say NOT CRAP.
itchy
duke
duke

Crap

Postby GuyMercier on Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:54 am

he's got a headband

CRAP!
Votre,
Guy.
GuyMercier
lardner
lardner

Postby jupiter on Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:59 am

itchy wrote:...he was a real sloppy player.

'Sloppy' is definately a bad choice of word.

Jimi's guitar-not crap
Jimi's songwriting-not crap
Jimi's singing - crap
Mitch Mitchell - not crap
Noel Redding - crap
Band of Gypsies - not crap

Overall = not crap :WF: 7
be good or be good at it....
jupiter
cats
cats

Postby GuyMercier on Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:03 am

jupiter wrote:Jimi's guitar-not crap
Jimi's songwriting-not crap

Jimi's responsibility in the history of circus tricks on the guitar ?

Playing With Tongue: CRAP
Setting Guitar on Fire: CRAP
Votre,
Guy.
GuyMercier
lardner
lardner

Postby itchy on Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:14 am

aww, c'mon jupiter, cut me a break =)

band of gypsies was hella cool, but you got to admit, anyone that drugged all the time's going to be playing a little bit of musical russian roulette! i like the sloppiness though....definitely emulated by mike mccready of pearl jam.
itchy
duke
duke

Postby placeholder on Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:21 am

not crap.
Last edited by placeholder on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby jupiter on Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:32 am

I got your point, I just thought 'sloppy' was a little much to describe someone who was so efficient thoughout the drug-riddled frontal lobe phase of rock.
jupiter
cats
cats

Postby steve on Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:40 am

one of my favorite vocalists. He also always seemed genuine when he spoke, which counts for a lot in my book.

Not so much with the guitar though.

Sill, not crap.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Maurice on Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:55 am

GuyMercier wrote:Playing With Tongue: CRAP
Setting Guitar on Fire: CRAP

Paradoxically, Setting Tongue on Fire: NOT CRAP. (Not that I know whether Hendrix did that, but I still think it'd be NOT CRAP.)

For Hendrix, people seem to pay attention to the effects and fuzz and stuff, but his clean playing on "Wind Cries Mary" (as well as the song itself) is graceful, beautiful, and speaks volumes to me.
Maurice

Postby GuyMercier on Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:59 am

Maurice wrote:Setting Tongue on Fire: NOT CRAP.

yup, but that would be Gene Simmons...
Votre,
Guy.
GuyMercier
lardner
lardner

Postby russ on Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:51 pm

Jimi played guitar like it was an extension of his body. Anyone who doesn't believe me should see the film of him playing "Like a Rolling Stone" at the Monterey Pop Festival (1967). Anyone who can wipe the sweat off of their fretboard with their sleeve just as easily as if they were doing the same to their own forehead is without doubt a virtuoso.

Jimi was an amazing live performer as well as a creative monster in the studio. On stage, in the middle of singing verses, he would have conversations with the audience. While leading his band members through songs which were beyond their comprhension, he would tease the girls and mystify the local guitar greats. His desire for new sounds literally created the stomp box. He could pick up ANY guitar, even an out of tune one, and perform a masterpiece. His vocal style, and phrasing, is like no other. His honesty, his sense of humor, his need to be unique, his quest beyond the limits, his ability to listen and then express himself, and his desire for peace, love and understanding, should be a lesson to us all.

In less than 3 years (1967-70), his creative output has gone unparralleled to this date. For the last thirty-some years hundreds of thousands of people have tried to recreate what Jimi just did naturally.

NOT CRAP
:WF: 0
russ
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby tmidgett on Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:52 pm

you know, he is actually the greatest electric guitar player of all time, so i suppose i'll have to say he's not crap

studio albums bear the mark of his times, unfortunately

but the live recordings and esp. film footage of him are just mindboggling, even today

hendrix played the guitar like normal people move their limbs or breathe

i don't hear many stock patterns in his playing, unlike the playing of most other (even very good) instrumentalists. and if he did play things from other people, he made them his own COMPLETELY. i mean, you've got to go to someone like john coltrane to get that same kind of pure expression out of a musical instrument. he was a genius. no one beats him.

and yes i agree a great singer as well
Last edited by tmidgett on Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby whiskerando on Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:21 pm

he was limited as a vocalist but didn't let that stop him. one of my least favorite things is during the band of gypsies when buddy would do the singing. the playing, there can be no dissension on this. even with the hippie aspects and the trappings of 60s production (backwards playing, bad keyboards) his songs still are untouchable. even if all he had created his entire life was the song 'are you experienced?' he would still inspire adulation and all the van halens and claptons and pages of the world would line up to kiss his ring.
whiskerando
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby the Classical on Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:46 pm

not crap, he was an innovator and sometimes it is hard to recognize the importance of the people who did things first when those who followed seem to do it better. band of gypsies suck, buddy miles is a horrible drummer.

not crap, but I have no desire at all to listen to him
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby smazur on Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:50 pm

Thank you russ and tim. Hendrix was sloppy and Page is not? wtf? Joe Perry? How about Joe Walsh?

It actually took me a while to get into Hendrix. I mean, I liked him as a kid, but somehow didn’t like the fact that he was revered by Guitar Center techs around the world. In my maturity, I have opened my ears and accepted that he was truly a genius. The touch, sensitivity and grace of his playing, the expressiveness of his singing and writing, but also his natural instinct as an arranger and producer, of intrinsically understanding the recording studio and knowing how to elicit a response from the listener. You could say his albums seem dated; I only wish many artists of the era had made an album half as good as _Electric Ladyland_.

Yes, he was a psychedelic hippy, but that was as much a part of the zeitgeist and culture of the people around him as punk was ten or fifteen years later. Yes, he could be flashy with his guitar antics—he was a real showman and natural performer, probably more comfortable onstage than backstage. Yes, he abused drugs, because he was apparently a reserved, introverted and shy person stuck in the limelight, and because I don’t think most people at the time fully understood the ramifications of such behavior. The real tragedy of his life is that he died so young and that countless fools with nary a modicum of his talent did not heed his example.

He was also a paratrooper before his musical conquests, which is pretty badass.

Hendrix was a true original, a genuine artist if ever there was one. Not crap. Not even close.
"I'm a Mutt Lange, eh kay?"

-Tad Donley
smazur
mother superior
mother superior

Postby Andrew Weatherhead on Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:56 pm

One time Hendrix broke a string at one of his really early gigs, so he asked one of the guitar players of the opening bands if he could borrow their guitar. The guy says yes, but its a left handed guitar. Jimi proceeds to flip the guitar over, put a strap on and play a fabulous set. Not Crap.
Andrew Weatherhead
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby SchnappM on Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:04 pm

Andrew Weatherhead wrote:One time Hendrix broke a string at one of his really early gigs, so he asked one of the guitar players of the opening bands if he could borrow their guitar. The guy says yes, but its a left handed guitar. Jimi proceeds to flip the guitar over, put a strap on and play a fabulous set. Not Crap.

Isn't Hendrix famous for playing right-handed guitars upside down, because he was left-handed?
SchnappM
pinocchio
pinocchio

Postby Dylan on Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:29 pm

SchnappM wrote:
Andrew Weatherhead wrote:One time Hendrix broke a string at one of his really early gigs, so he asked one of the guitar players of the opening bands if he could borrow their guitar. The guy says yes, but its a left handed guitar. Jimi proceeds to flip the guitar over, put a strap on and play a fabulous set. Not Crap.

Isn't Hendrix famous for playing right-handed guitars upside down, because he was left-handed?

I think the awe-inspiring part of the story is that, while Hendrix routinely played leftie guitars strung rightie(for easier access to the controls), the borrowed guitar was a leftie strung leftie. Try it sometime. You'll definitely get some interesting parts happening.
Dylan

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap