home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

John Grabski III memorial page

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: John Grabski III memorial page

Postby Rachi on Tue May 15, 2012 10:56 pm

I don't have anything to add here. I would just like to acknowledge the fact that I sat here and shed a tear for John.
Rachi
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby total_douche on Wed May 16, 2012 3:07 am

I don't think there's anything I can say that won't sound banal or stupid, but if there's anything I can take away from reading all of this, it's that worrying about sounding banal or stupid is probably a waste of time.

I have been very guilty of never chiming in with a word of support or engaging in conversations about bad news, online and in real life. I've always felt that it's not my place and that there is nothing I can contribute to such things that wouldn't have a diminishing effect. Call it a lack of self-esteem. Call it a fear of sounding like an asshole no matter what I do. You could probably just call me an asshole. Those would all probably be true.

That's exactly why I didn't say much about this when I first read about it. All I could think was: "Man, this really sucks. This man is going to die. I have nothing to say of any real importance. It'd be best if I just shut my big stupid mouth and kept out of it."

Enter feelings of regret.

The more I read about him, the more I feel like I did when Dio died. "I wish I knew this guy."

If you're out there, John, you were a king among men, if for no other reason than facing death in ways that should make any average person feel (and look) like a total wuss. I can only hope that, when my time comes, I can face the reaper with the same courage.
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Frank Decent on Thu May 17, 2012 5:44 am

I am glad this page exists and that it is so easily accessible within the forum. It's a great thing, not only because it's a wonderful tribute to a seriously cool man, but it can act as a powerful message. Everyone knows this life is short, but read this thread and really understand it. Let John's legacy be the thing that finally kicks your ass outta bed to do those things you put off. Read these pages and then go kick the shit out of your fear and indecision. Let a real man show you how to love your life.
Redline wrote:The dead bodies on your mattress and the rubber sheets in your wardrobe should dampen the early reflections.
Frank Decent
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby John W. on Thu May 17, 2012 11:45 am

I'm listening to the record on Bandcamp right now. I'm only on the second song and feel completely transported - this is something amazing - awesome in the true sense of the word. I've been following John's story since the beginning, always in complete awe. His dogged determination and creative motivation amidst all he was going through leaves me wide-eyed, mouth open, and immensely grateful - grateful for his gift of pure hope.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby vish on Fri May 18, 2012 9:35 am

This is sad and amazing. Thanks for sharing this. Listening to The Strain now.
vish
tmidgett
tmidgett

Postby steve on Fri May 18, 2012 1:56 pm

Not sad. I know what you mean but the one thing it is not is sad. There wasn't a sad moment in the whole enterprise.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby givemenoughrope on Fri May 18, 2012 4:05 pm

There have been a few people in my life I've lost to cancer. Two of them are now passed on but I think about them quite a bit and how they lived and died. The other wasn't as courageous and has actually left a much bigger and emptier ugly whole in my life than I would have thought possible. Reading John's story really illustrates the difference between the two for me and I'm truly grateful to him for that.

John Grabski, you are/were one courageous dude! Thank You!
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby vish on Fri May 18, 2012 6:59 pm

I see your point. It's definitely inspiring. Encouraging even that we might be capable of carrying ourselves in such a way.

If it's difficult (or "sad"), it's for the loss of such a strong, admirable person.
vish
tmidgett
tmidgett

Postby lemur68 on Fri May 18, 2012 7:05 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:There have been a few people in my life I've lost to cancer. Two of them are now passed on but I think about them quite a bit and how they lived and died. The other wasn't as courageous

This probably isn't the thread to be getting into such a discussion, but how exactly does one un-courageously deal with having cancer?
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby HOUSTON_M on Sun May 20, 2012 5:36 am

lemur68 wrote:
givemenoughrope wrote:There have been a few people in my life I've lost to cancer. Two of them are now passed on but I think about them quite a bit and how they lived and died. The other wasn't as courageous

This probably isn't the thread to be getting into such a discussion, but how exactly does one un-courageously deal with having cancer?

One doesn't know for sure until one has it, I'd say. The colleagues and neighbours I've known have dealt with cancer in an admirable way. They all died though.

The memorial page is very impressive.
HOUSTON_M

Postby tmidgett on Sun May 20, 2012 2:32 pm

HOUSTON_M wrote:
lemur68 wrote:

One doesn't know for sure until one has it, I'd say. The colleagues and neighbours I've known have dealt with cancer in an admirable way. They all died though.

If you go down railing against your nurses and ungrateful family, and equivocating about your life, that's dealing with it in a cowardly fashion.

It's a kind of privilege to see someone die well. A lot of strong people die weakly. It's dying, after all. And watching a weak person die is especially unpleasant.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Rémy on Sun May 20, 2012 2:49 pm

I wasn't aware of that story and was aking myself what was the PRF.
A very moving writtings from Steve. I didn't know John but I guess his story gonna help me to deal with life in general speaking. Very very moving.
Rémy
freelance gynaecologist
freelance gynaecologist

Postby gnangle on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:22 am

just got home last week from my mother in laws funeral. i have spent the last two and a half years with my wife helping take care of her. she was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer having never smoked a cigarette in her life.she was 60. she didnt complain or protest once. in the same way that john chose to die she did too. we sat with her while she died and she did everything she wanted to do.she died with dignity,not scared not fighting a loosing battle but with grace and so drugged up she couldnt blink.thinking of her all skinny in that bed, i knew that the previous year she had spent doing all the important things she wanted to do,knowing full well what lay ahead at any moment. i too felt an admiration like no other watching this happen.when you see a person face death with dignity and conviction and an unwavering force it makes you stronger,it gives you hope about your own end. even to the bitter end she knew who was in the room,where the garbage bags were and what was cooking on the stove in the next room. i could only hope to be half as brave when my time comes.
gnangle
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby Verge of Light on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:08 pm

gnangle wrote:i could only hope to be half as brave when my time comes.

Very well put Greg. Sorry for your loss. I hope I have good people like you and your wife around me when I go.
Verge of Light
andy warhol
andy warhol

Postby subprime on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Grabski raffle guitar.
subprime
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby rappard on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:52 pm

I thought I saw a link somewhere (here? Facebook?) for donations to his family, but can't recall. Can someone post it here or PM me? Thanks!
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
rappard
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby steve on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:26 pm

I'd like to add links to any evidence (photos, recording, video) of Miscreant Seeds performing The Strain from the BBQ if anybody has them, post the links here and I'll add them.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby subprime on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:49 pm

We need pics of the winner with the grabski!
subprime

Postby 154 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:38 pm

steve wrote:I'd like to add links to any evidence (photos, recording, video) of Miscreant Seeds performing The Strain from the BBQ if anybody has them, post the links here and I'll add them.

Jim and Matt E are working hard editing and mixing down close camera footage and multitrack recordings from the entire 2 days, in addition to M.S. I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing those myself, as Ben's guitar was quiet in the room.

This one has already made the FB rounds. It was taken by my g/f, who I doubt cares to be credited:

p.s. Jodi took a group photo, hopefully she'll post it here.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Jodi S. on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:51 pm

154 wrote:p.s. Jodi took a group photo, hopefully she'll post it here.

Indeed I did. Keep in mind it was late, I had just turned old, and, um, well. OK HERE'S THE GODDAMNED PICTURE.

Miscreant Seeds by samuraiphotog, on Flickr
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion