home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

JASON MOLINA Tribute page

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: JASON MOLINA Tribute page

Postby Major on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:22 pm

I am having a hard time with this. I saw him several times and don't even remember him drinking.

It's scary to me. And "I've Been Riding With The Ghost" is pretty much bringing to tears right now.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby ::: on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:37 pm

Inspired by Rob G's example elsewhere, I would like to offer my sincere condolences to all who are grieving Jason's passing. 39 is far too young. RIP.
:::
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Jolly Saint Krampus on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:39 pm

Such a bummer. He is one of the best and most legitimate musicians/songwriters ever.
Guitar/Vocals for Tanks
Facebook
Bandcamp
Jolly Saint Krampus
junkballer
junkballer

Postby Jolly Saint Krampus on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Such a bummer. He is one of the best and most legitimate musicians/songwriters ever. RIP.
Guitar/Vocals for Tanks
Facebook
Bandcamp
Jolly Saint Krampus
junkballer
junkballer

Postby justtryingthisthingout on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:15 pm

First and possibly only post here, but the subject was worthy of it.

Jason, your music soundtracked my best and worst moments. I never knew you in person, but your songs were always with me, and will accompany me through the rest of my days.
I feel privileged to have drifted through space at the same time as you, and happy that i was able to discover the sounds you poured into infinity.

Thankyou for sharing the things you thought, however hard you found them to say. Noone expressed what it's like to be human better than you - you were a friend to more people than you can ever imagine.
justtryingthisthingout

Postby WMFS on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:29 pm

The heart is a risky fuel to burn.
Baltimore Orioles fan and should be respected as such.
numberthirty
W -
Quit trying to take a vampire to watch the damn sun come up.
WMFS
howard lederer
howard lederer

Postby Miguel Sanchez on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:25 pm

This is very sad news indeed, and it's kind of come as a shock to me.

RIP you wonderful, wonderful man.
Miguel Sanchez
secretary of state
secretary of state

Postby LBx on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Horrible news.

A handful of my favourite albums ever bare the Songs: Ohia moniker. Albums I will never tire of. Absolutely pivotal stuff for me as he was putting it out. Just a huge talent.

RIP friend...
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby stewie on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:16 pm

The only time I saw Songs:Ohia live was in Boston about 8 years back. The crowd was milling around as the band started to play, paying some attention, but not much.

Jason moved up to the microphone and belted out the first lyric. The mix was loud and his voice shuddered the walls. But it would have seared right through the ears and souls of everyone there without any amplification. Not a single person was distracted from that point on, everyone completely rapt from then on until the band finished.

I loved Jason's voice and his songs. He died far too young. RIP.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby heather on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Jason was recording with Steve when Michael was killed in 2005. He generously gave up his time to let Steve be with SKWM. Typical of Jason he also wrote and recorded a song that day and left it for us.

My heart is broken, like many of you and I am thinking of his people. I think he knew we loved him. I know he loved all of us. Take some time to love your friends a little harder.

looking forward to new projects by peter sotos, dr kay redfield jamison, lauren weedman, daido moriyama, loretta lux, jack mcbrayer, kim deal, rory kennedy, alex prager, jen davis, bracha l ettinger, martha plimpton, nina nastasia, matt besser
heather
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Postby P.J. Craven on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:38 pm

I have been thinking about Jason Molina all day. He showed me by example how an upstanding, kind, and loving man handles himself in the public arena when I was quite impressionable. I didn't realize it for a while, but so much of what he did the night I met him impacted me greatly.

I've also been thinking about the fraternity/sorority of musicians that come from the punk school of thought who have been losing personal colleagues and friends so rapidly these last few years. Obviously, my heart goes out to this man's closest friends and family, but it also goes out to all you here who knew and/or loved Jason as well as so many other departed brothers and sisters of his caliber. Nobody is perfect, nobody needs to be held up on pedestals, but so many of you are special people that make a difference in the lives of those you hardly know. Tonight, my heart goes out to you members of Electrical Audio family. Thank you for your empathy and for getting to where you are by doing things your way.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven

Postby tmidgett on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:09 am

heather wrote:Jason was recording with Steve when Michael was killed in 2005.

We were at Electrical with Greg on Sunday when the call came in that Jason was dead.

He generously gave up his time to let Steve be with SKWM. Typical of Jason he also wrote and recorded a song that day and left it for us.

He felt things deeply.

Bottomless Pit's first trips out east/west were due 100% to Mags taking us along for the ride. They wanted someone to do about a month of shows all told, as I recall.

We were, like, uh, how about if we cherry-pick the best three or four shows on each coast and you pay us like we're bringing an extra 100 people in, instead of the 30 we really know we're doing? And they went for it.

Our collective wounds were still fresh in the wake of Michael's death. We were still finding our sea legs, to say the least. It hurt to play.

We took to all of those guys instantly. They made us feel so completely welcome and at home. It was a very soft landing and a great way to get moving. I would have loved to have done more shows with them.

JMo was a hugely enthusiastic, lovable man. He was an unreconstructed weirdo. He was hilarious. Even when he was being a cranky bitch he was pretty funny. I saw him too drunk a couple of times. It was uncomfortable, and I know I didn't see him at his worst.

If that phone call had been "Molina is in town and not uncomfortably drunk" instead of "Molina is dead," we would have dropped everything and spent yesterday evening hanging out. We would have rather done that than made a record.

Dude slept, sweat, and bled music. I would call his obsession with his art pathological, but he had genuine pathologies and now is not the time to be glib.

He was a great writer. He was a great singer.

He didn't know when to quit in either art or life. Couldn't quit, more like it. But I'm not so sure music didn't rescue him and keep him afloat longer than he would have been without it.

I've missed him for a while, now with the unmistakeable extra knife-twist of finality.

Be good to each other. You never know, for better or worse, you never know.
Last edited by tmidgett on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby tallchris on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:27 am

Saw this while briefly checking F'book in Butte, MT today. Goddamn.

Fuck, was actually just talking about how bummed I was to miss MEC's set in '06 when they brought the Pit to Seattle. Had to leave early to get up to Bellingham as I had to work at 5:00 the next morning.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris

Postby hiredgeeek on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:01 am

your mark will be celebrated and missed.
hiredgeeek
viscount
viscount

Postby P.J. Craven on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:18 am

Can a person become too accustomed to tragedy?

Aside from Nastasia, there's almost nobody like this guy left. I hardly knew a thing about him, but I am truly horrified. I am not dealing with this death so easily.
P.J. Craven

Postby P.J. Craven on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:31 am

I think that most importantly, from my admittedly limited experience with this person, it appeared to me that he was more than willing to get down in the dirt than most of those who have affected me at one point or another. I've met a lot of men who have been an inspiration, but Jason Molina gave perhaps the ideal amount of damn.

If I'm off tonight, I'm shaken. I am learning a lesson I will never take for granted.

In tears. The guy got it, and I only knew too late.
P.J. Craven

Postby howiemarx on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:15 am

howiemarx
osama bin laden
osama bin laden

Postby heather on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:30 am

looking forward to new projects by peter sotos, dr kay redfield jamison, lauren weedman, daido moriyama, loretta lux, jack mcbrayer, kim deal, rory kennedy, alex prager, jen davis, bracha l ettinger, martha plimpton, nina nastasia, matt besser
heather
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Postby crevecoeur on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:45 am

two very good documentaries :

Recording Josephine :
http://vimeo.com/8459878

The road becomes what you leave :
http://vimeo.com/30702742
crevecoeur
berith
berith

Postby bigc on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 am

I'm so sorry to everyone who knew him. It sounds gut wrenching.

I've never had the pleasure of listening to any of his music. Where should I start?
bigc
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion