68%
NOT CRAP
32%

Total votes : 225

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby numberthirty on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 am

Boombats wrote:
Antero wrote:Earl is a prodigy.

I will step on a kitten every day until you stop talking like this.

Seriously. If faggots and Shirley Temple is the best your prodigies can come up with, you better light it all on fire while there's still something to save.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Luzwei on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:26 am

Boombats wrote:

can Lil Bub be first?
lemur68 wrote:A bite from a Lu Zworis is also highly venomous.

I Joe 4 play.
Luzwei
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Flaneur on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:29 am

You guys know Frank Ocean doesn't rap, right?
Flaneur
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby elisha wiesner on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:22 am

Flaneur wrote:You guys know Frank Ocean doesn't rap, right?

Frank Ocean rapping. His verse is at 5:15
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby kerble on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:17 pm

Boombats wrote:Ah, Salem, I like 'em, my brother.

We'll haiku with Salem.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby kerble on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:20 pm

numberthirty wrote:
Boombats wrote:

Seriously. If faggots and Shirley Temple is the best your prodigies can come up with, you better light it all on fire while there's still something to save.

You want a fire starter?

kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby Boombats on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:27 pm

kerble wrote:
numberthirty wrote:
Boombats wrote:

You want a fire starter?

Well smack my bitchup.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby don.chaney on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:39 pm

big_dave wrote:I can excuse some stuff - like Tribe Called Quest - because I know that its an absurdly macho culture leads smart kids to say dumb things to prove themselves.

Interesting, how exactly do you mean "excuse" some stuff? I'm not going to stop listening to their music, but it's definitely hurt my perception of them as artists and people (not that I knew much to begin with).

I think guys trying to "prove themselves" in an "absurdly macho culture" is one of the main reasons there are so many homophobic/sexist douchebags out there, in and outside of hip-hop culture. I don't understand how you can "excuse" the awful, hateful shit they say in that unreleased track, and I say that as someone who agrees with pretty much everything you've had to say about Odd Future.

Unimaster wrote:...people are pointing out that it's ridiculous that a culture is being celebrated for simply not ostracizing/being violent towards a person for just coming out!

It seems like a lot of people in the hip-hop community have come out (durr) in support of the LGBTQ community or gay marriage recently - Russell Simmons, T.I., Kanye West, Lil B, Game, Fat Joe, other people Google tells me. Now this guy comes out of the closet and people within the community are generally supportive of him. So, y'know, progress.

I understand being angry that bigotry exists at all, but I don't understand getting worked up at people who are celebrating progress, nor do I understand insisting that a guy who says he supports homosexuals and is friends with homosexuals and works with homosexuals and does things that a homophobe would probably not be comfortable doing is totally without question homophobic.
Marsupialized wrote:Anger is an anchor, bro. Dragging your bitch ass down.
don.chaney
philip guston
philip guston

Postby Antero on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:33 am

Boombats wrote:

blah blah blah how dare someone have an appreciation for things i don't like
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Boombats on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:53 am

Antero wrote:
Boombats wrote:

blah blah blah how dare someone have an appreciation for things i don't like

OK I take it back, Earl is a GENIUS, Tyler is a MENSA member, Hodgy is a RHODES SCHOLAR. Use all the flowery language you want to fellate the free-wheeling black kids you wish you were.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby numberthirty on Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:12 am

big_dave wrote:Edit, actually fuck it.

Since I noticed you mentioned Louis CK, I think that guy is a stroke. I'm sorry that you now realize a word is used as a slur/to hurt and you shouldn't use it. Being a halfway decent adult is sometimes a bitch. I'll get you a box of tissues so you can cry about how the touchy homosexuals won't let you use a word.

The hell with that guy and his nonsense.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:16 am

don.chaney wrote:I understand being angry that bigotry exists at all, but I don't understand getting worked up at people who are celebrating progress, nor do I understand insisting that a guy who says he supports homosexuals and is friends with homosexuals and works with homosexuals and does things that a homophobe would probably not be comfortable doing is totally without question homophobic.

It's because how you handle something when you have no stake in it probably says more about you that when a friendship factors into your behavior.
numberthirty

Postby RSMurphy on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:49 am

I am a bit new to this whole Frank Ocean thing, but from what I've read thus far he has not said that he is a gay man. He has admitted to experimentation which is not in the same ballpark as coming out as a gay man. If I'm wrong, then can someone point me out to where he actually comes out of the closet as a gay man?
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Boombats on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:56 am

RSMurphy wrote:I am a bit new to this whole Frank Ocean thing, but from what I've read thus far he has not said that he is a gay man. He has admitted to experimentation which is not in the same ballpark as coming out as a gay man. If I'm wrong, then can someone point me out to where he actually comes out of the closet as a gay man?

He definitely the finest member of OF.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby RSMurphy on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:24 am

Boombats wrote:He definitely the finest member of OF.

Get me a cup, gurl, cuz a bitch is meltin'.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Marsupialized on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:47 am

How on Earth could anyone with gay friends or bandmates use the word 'faggot' on a regular basis? Base level common human decency would have the person stop, once they started being close with people who that word is meant to hurt, no? Why would anyone with gay friends ever even consider using that word? Why would it not go away, out of their mind and make them cringe when they think about having used it in the past? Just continue calling people faggots left and right?
Almost more weird, how could someone GAY be friends or bandmates with someone who uses the word 'Faggot' on a regular basis as an insult? How does that work? They are hanging out and it just never comes up how fucking ignorant and vile the person is?
Do black dudes hang out with white dudes who use the N word as an insult routinely? It makes no sense to me at all.
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby DrAwkward on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:10 pm

58 pages of debating a bunch of dumbass teenagers using words that make them giggle because they're taboo and little other reason.

This is why teenagers shouldn't become famous musicians. Let them develop for a few years first. Christ, if anyone got a hold of the lyrics i wrote in high school i'd be mortified.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Antero on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:36 pm

RSMurphy wrote:I am a bit new to this whole Frank Ocean thing, but from what I've read thus far he has not said that he is a gay man. He has admitted to experimentation which is not in the same ballpark as coming out as a gay man. If I'm wrong, then can someone point me out to where he actually comes out of the closet as a gay man?

Right, he just talked about a particular event in his life. People close to him are talking about it basically as him coming out as bisexual.

Whereas the media is just like "OMG GUYS HE'S GAY! GAY GAY GAY!" and, wait, hold on, no.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby DrAwkward on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:44 pm

big_dave wrote:The Frank Ocean thing seems to be a stunt. I think he just did it to prep the audience to try to listen to his work from a different angle. I don't think he's dishonest, though.

He made mention of something that was sure to cause media attention right before releasing a record, and you think it's a stunt? The devil you say!
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby DrAwkward on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:47 pm

big_dave wrote:
DrAwkward wrote: Christ, if anyone got a hold of the lyrics i wrote in high school i'd be mortified.

This is why I like teenagers who are fearless enough not to be. Because I definitely kept this part of myself inside and I think I was a worse young adult for it.

I mean the Undertones have a few songs about guys who don't like girls and why girls are weird and suck. But they're one of the best things ever done by people, and in a way that adults could never equal.

If Ian Mackaye hadn't have had the bollocks to sing "Guilty of Being White" he perhaps wouldn't have sang "Filler" or whatever. And maybe it wouldn't have gone to "Suggestion" and "Stacks"

Anyone who says "you know, fuck it, I'm getting this out of me" deserves at least a little respect, even if what they get out is vileness itself. I'm idealist enough to think that it usually leads to making them better people, unless you give them a fucking cookie for it - which unfortunately, seems to be The Tale Of Odd Future Thus Far.

I hear ya. I mean, someone like Ian obviously had more interesting things to say at that age than me (i was basically trying to ape Warrant and Poison lyrics, which, eeeesh). I'd definitely rate Minor Threat lyrics above Odd Future lyrics, though, simply based on the lack of, ya know, slurs.

But yeah. Recent high school graduates are using slurs in their lyrics because they think it's funny to get people riled up. God, what a shock. Let's all get riled up then.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap