No votes
Not Crap
100%

Total votes : 2

Comics Artist: CF

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:53 pm

phpBB [media]

>>Face It

Noise maker, pencil pusher, guache spreader, zine fiend. Paper sculptures, funny chairs.

Last thing I got printed all over receipt rolls, doing it for friends now too.
Twilight Sparkle
the white ho
the white ho

Re: Comics Artist: CF

Postby Raa on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:28 am

Do you know anything about the fourth volume of POWR MASTRS? I wrote him years ago and he said he was still deciding a publisher but I've never seen it available.

But yeah, he's great. Fan of Sam Kieth too. He seems to get that Moebius/Druillet line better than most because he doesn't just imitate it but incorporates it into the wild noisy punk-rock scrawl that he does.
Raa
doctor feelgood
doctor feelgood

Postby goatlord on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:40 am

CF might be the only avant-garde-ultra-modern-using-shit-paper-in-your-face cartoonist that actually delivers and fucks with your brain. I used to have Mere, but then I gave it to a girl and never returned it, and proceeded to rip him off, like a lot of other cartoonist do. Probably the most influential cartoonist that no one wants to talk about, because then you seem like a plagiarist.

The highest NC. WF for spawning quite a bit of shitty art-school comics, but it's not really his fault.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Mere is great!!

And yeah, I've definitely gone through my share of CF rip off anxiety, but I do think a lot of people who clearly show that influence do very compelling work (Aidan Koch, Paul Peng). I agree that people don't want to talk about it, and CF's particular style has become so influential that I think many people don't even realize where it comes from. I become more suspect over time, tho, about the comic scene's obsession with unique visual styling, and shitty alt comics comes from not having anything to say, and seeking safety in style. I think CF has maintained really super well because of the content of the communication, over the technical aspect of what is being drawn and how it is or isn't different to what people in Art Comics are doing now. But I definitely still do things, and I'm like uh oh, CF again, noooo, and there is the instinct to hide it somehow. It helps that Chris is so articulate about ideas and process, one of my favorite people to listen to about art.

phpBB [media]

Raa wrote:Do you know anything about the fourth volume of POWR MASTRS? I wrote him years ago and he said he was still deciding a publisher but I've never seen it available.

Yeah Fantagraphics was supposed to reprint the first 3 volumes, then come out with the 4th, but that never seemed to happen. I have a small ashcan preview of volume 4 that was sold off CF's website some years ago, but that's all that's been released. Who knows when it'll come out, haha. All these shmancy comics publishers have intense financial issues, and like many, CF is poor and probably is supported better through selling small self-published runs of things. Mostly seems to be involved with other art projects, and doing shows as Universal Cell Unlock.
Twilight Sparkle
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:03 pm

That comic you posted was an enjoyable read.

Seems like an artist who is more interested in having a quick and direct process which facilitates writing; the opposite of a style nerd. It reminds me of James Kochalka's advice: work fast, don't worry about it, write more, do it now.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:12 pm

Yeah!

Also respect greatly lack of adherence to form. CF is good at drawin, but totally down to do just whatever. Used to be a podcast linked on the site, just fantastic

http://binseries.podomatic.com/
Twilight Sparkle
the white ho
the white ho

Postby goatlord on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:03 am

One of the things that I like about CF is that I can't get exactly what he wants to do, but I completely get it. He explains himself quite clearly, but it goes way above my head what he is trying to do. At the same time, it all makes sense!

If you like CF, I highly recommend Jonathan Chandler.

http://partisanhotel.co.uk/Jonathan-Chandler-The-Hitcher-3
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord

Return to Crap / Not Crap