What's in your Hi-Fi?

Postby Noah on Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:38 am

currently i use:

rega super elys moving magnet cartridge
rega P3
NAD C162 preamplifier
Dynaco stereo quad solid state amplifier

JBL 4412's

it is very bass heavy, and the speakers are blown out and disintegrated. only some things sound good on it.
your an idiot
Noah
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby TheMilford on Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:47 pm

Ooooh this is fun... I love to talk audio gear :)

currently I'm running:
Well Tempered 'Classic' Turntable
Dynavector 10x5 or AT440ml cartridges
Hagerman Bugle Phono Preamp (with P.S.)
Rotel RCD 991 HDCD player
Fisher 100-R vacuum tube tuner
Bottlehead Foreplay vacuum tube preamp
Bottlehead Paramour single ended 2A3 vacuum tube monoblocks
Audio Note J/sp Loudspeakers
Siltech, Kimber and Musitex interconnects

system sounds good. imaging could be clearer/more intelligible. working on upgrades to preamps and amps... will probably replace the Bugle soon, even though it has served me well.

Cheers,
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Chris G on Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:04 pm

Decware Zen Triode tube amp into old Infinity SB2002 two-ways.
http://www.decware.com/newsite/mainmenu.htm

Sometimes a push-pull homebrew amp using a quartet of 11BM8 tubes. I'm shelving that one until I redo the grounding scheme; too much hum.

No preamps, I just plug my sources (tape deck, iPod, whatever) right on in. For phono, I use a IC-based pre based on the Paia kit, but with better ICs and the parts values rejiggered to make it better conform to RIAA specs. Power supply is 9V battery x 2 to eliminate hum.

I'm not too hung up on the audiophile-ness of stuff, I just want something accurate w/o me having to go too much into debt. The Decware amp was a kit, cost me $500 and sounds as good as the $5,000+ tube amps I've heard in the living rooms of balding cardiologists and coked-out record company lawyers.

I am, however, tempted to buy the Bottlehead 2A3 kit and some better speakers .... What's yr verdict, TheMilford?
Chris G
intern
intern

Postby nick92675 on Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:14 pm

my girlfriends dvd player to play cds (i think she got it at costco) > some sony receiver type thing i got for free in high school. if it's too quiet the left channel cuts out, but it has the super bass option which helps compensate (sometimes too much) for the lack of low end in the > b&w cdm1nt speakers.

HI-FIDELITY.
nick92675
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby steve on Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:18 pm

Right now, a ReVox turntable and a Marantz integrated amp, formerly my beautiful girlfriend's father's.

I will build a good HiFi someday, and this is what it will be:

I will buy a decent preamp without a phono stage (probably NAD, but whatever is in stock used at Audio Consultants when the time comes)

I will biuld a small power amp. I have a design, and I have breadboarded the voltage amplifier section and it works well, but I haven't built the rest. If it isn't any good, I will probably give up and buy something.

I have these very nice Linaeum bookshelf speakers (best tweeter I have ever heard).

I will buy a VPI JR or equivalent turntable.

A Shure V15Vx cartridge (which I happen to have laying around).

A Hagerman "Bugle" phono preamp, which everybody has been raving about, despite it costing only $250 or so as a kit.

Then I will put it all in my office.
Last edited by steve on Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Rotten Tanx on Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:23 pm

The best of Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds I think.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby horsewhip on Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:04 pm

A shitty boombox.

I did have a decent system I pieced together while working at Goodwill a couple years back (the odd amazing thing does come through there), and I very much regret giving it away before I went on tour a year ago.

Hindsight=20/20.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby beckertronix on Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:47 pm

Sota Comet turntable with an Audio Technica Cartridge.

Music Hall Phono Pre

"passive preamp" (fancy name for a stereo pot with two RCA inputs and outputs)

Pilot EL84 Push Pull Amp

into my old sony bookshelf speakers -( the weak link for sure)

The power amp gets slowly rebuilt and upgraded as I feel like it- it's pretty much wide open pushing those inefficent Sonys. I'd like some horns I think. Someday I'll build one of those Mapletree Audio Design triplex pre-amps too.
beckertronix
yogi berra
yogi berra

Postby TheMilford on Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:35 am

Hey Steve,

The Hagerman Bugle kits, including the power supply, should only cost you about $130 total.
The Bugle "1/2 kit" is only $30 for the board and manual and only about $30 in parts, most of which I bet you have on hand in the shop there. This kit runs on batteries and sounds great... but a pair of NiMH will only last about 8 LPs before a recharge so you have to keep some batteries charging on rotation.

The P.S. Kit is only $25 plus parts (around $40+). This is not as "quiet" as battery operation but has a more solid and clear low end. Or you could also just build your own +15/-15v P.S. pretty easily

check out his site:
www.hagtech.com
Also he just came out with a version of the kit that will do some different EQ curves found on pre 1955 records... looks kinda nifty and useful if you collect any older classical stuff.

Cheers,
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby johnnyshape on Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:53 am

Ferrari speakers

Playboy pre-amp
Penthouse power-amp

Hai Karate front end

Craven 'A' interconnects

and Old Spice cable. The mark of a man.
johnnyshape
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby dave-sidca on Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:08 pm

To up the nerd ante even further, I will list the cables also:

Project II turntable with Goldring 1042 cart.
||
\/
Chord Cobra II interconnects
||
\/
Arcam a65 intergrated amp + arcam p75 power amp (new toy, been after one for years, puts the sound into a different stratosphere, if your amp allows for bi-amping do it!!!!!) . Pre & power linked via short interconnect that I got custom made for peanuts by a guy on Ebay, Van Damme cable, Neutrik phonos, sounds as good as 'hi-fi' interconnects costing five times as much. All future interconnects will be of this sort.
||
\/
DNM Reson speaker cables. Beautifully open and airy sounding, with the bonus of a design philosophy that actually makes sense. Solid cores separated by a rigid 1" dielectric to ensure minimal and even interaction between the cores' magnetic fields along the cables length.
||
\/
B&W 601 S2 speakers. Always liked them, though toying with the idea of saving up for something with bigger bass now that my amp's up to it.

also, Sony CDP-XB930E cd player, alledgedly 'tuned for the UK ear' whatever one of them is, switchable digital filter which can be handy on occasion. To amp via Van den Hull M.C. D103 MkIII hybrid cable, only bought because it was half price, good sound though.

Toying with the idea of switching to a mc cartridge and separate phono stage when funds allow, though unsure if my present turntable would justify it.

I'll save the tales of my DIY power leads and system supports for another day........................
dave-sidca
prosecutor
prosecutor

Postby Braden on Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:34 pm

Linn LP12 with Ittok tonearm
Ortofon Kontrapunkt A cartridge
Hagerman Cornet phono stage with Lundahl step-ups
Conrad Johnson PF-R pre-amp
Dynaco stereo 80 amp (was using an older Conrad Johnson MV-50 but the bloody thing is down right now, don't know what's wrong)
AMC cd player
Locally made 3 way loudspeakers with Isobarik style subs and built-in 100watt amp.
Cables have just been what I can get my hands on, braided my speaker wire from teflon Cat 5, works like a hot damn. Everything has been purchased used, with the exception of the speakers, cd player, and phono-stage. I can't say enough either about the Hagerman products, very well thought out, and very well priced.
Braden
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Chris G on Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:33 pm

steve wrote:I will biuld a small power amp. I have a design

I'd be interested in hearing about it, if you have two minutes to type out the particulars (Single-ended? Push-pull? Which tubes, et cet?)

(FYI, Hagerman just came out with a new version of the Bugle kit, with variable EQ and a mono switch. A pdf of the new product manual is here:

http://www.vacutrace.com/pdf/bugpro.pdf)
Chris G
intern
intern

Postby bdp on Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:01 pm

I used to have a full blown NAIM system, before I realised the amount of money I had spent didn't equate with the amount of enjoyment I was experiencing. (Diminishing returns and all that.)

Now I have a modest Pioneer Stable Platter CD, a Rotel integrated amp and some old B&W speakers wired together with AudioQuest and MIT.

I love my music just the same and no longe get into fruitless discussions with audiophiles.... ecchh

Brendon

P.S. I worked in an independent CD store for four years so excuse my lack of a vinyl playing thingy. Oh, and there are hardly ANY new classical or jazz releases available on vinyl.
bdp
sister
sister

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:15 pm

it all starts with the Audiomeca Romance turntable (with Romeo tone arm)

through a Krell KPE Reference Phono Preamp

into a Levinson 380S preamp (i know, i know, i need to upgrade to the 320S! as soon as i can sell my damn boat, this puppy's first on my list.)

for power, a pair of Mark Levinson 33H monoblocks.

driving a pair of MBL 101d speakers. this is a photo of the 101e, but the D is very similar in most aspects including appearance.

and for interconnects, i use shoestrings with foil from Big Red gum wound around them, really, really tightly, with the chewed-up Big Red gum fashioned into an insulator. for speaker cables, i use gold-plated mouse tails, hand-woven together by the children of indonesian witches.

needless to say, it sounds absolutely aMAZing
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby GuyMercier on Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:27 am

toomanyhelicopters wrote:needless to say, it sounds absolutely aMAZing

you must drink too much yak, man
this all looks terrible
except the monoblocks, what are they for ?

I just bought a pair of wharfedale speakers, it took me a whole week to get over the difference in sound with my totally shit bose system but now I'm fine and I know that I need to change all the rest, alas it will take me another 2 years to overcome the dreadful experience of the hi-fi shop I had forgotten and it's pretty tough

then again I wonder if I need really accurate gear to listen to ariel pink's hum drenched, er, experiments

oh and yes, pardon the ignorance, but do the cables make such a big difference ?
Votre,
Guy.
GuyMercier
lardner
lardner

Postby dave-sidca on Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:08 am

Cables make a significant difference, but it's easy to get carried away. Manufacturers realise this and it's where a lot of the 'snake oil' of the hi-fi industry comes into play. If you read though the advertising bumf they churn out, you'll see what I mean.
The cables that come with the components are shit, full stop ('period' if you're a colonial type) . The consensus rule of thumb is to spend about 10% of the total cost of your system on cabling. You can either flick through a few mags to see what the current flavour of your price range is, or, as i've taken to doing, get a set of studio grade plugs (neutrik or such) and some studio grade unbalanced cable and make your own (I figure if it's good enough quaility for the signal at source, it's good enough for the signal in your living room). Sounds better than entry-level cables for less cost. I suppose if you're spending 1000s per component it would be worth auditioning a stack of super-duper cables, just to get the ultimate synergy or whatever.

(cue a bunch of cloth-eared bastards with another bout of inverted snobbery- )
dave-sidca
prosecutor
prosecutor

Postby n.c. on Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:38 am

Rega p25 - Super Elys cartrige
Some middle of the road Harmon / Kardon integrated amp.
Creek phono pre-amp
Klipsch Heresy II loudspeakers (on 18" stands)
gotta upgrade that amp to something tube.
-n
n.c.
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:44 am

Guy wrote:this all looks terrible
except the monoblocks, what are they for ?

---------------------------------------

No. 33H Monaural Power Amplifier Product Specifications

Frequency Response : Within 0.1dB from 20Hz to 20kHz

Input Connectors : one 3-pin XLR balanced input connector per channel
one RCA input connector per channel
two 1/8" mini-jacks for remote turn-on
two Mark Levinson communications ports (RJ-11)
one captive high current AC mains cord

Input Impedence : 100 kohms (balanced), 50 kohms (single-ended)

Input Sensitivity - Full Output : 1.59V

Mains Voltage : Determined by the needs of country for which the unit was manufactured; cannot be reset by dealer or user

Output Connectors : four custom binding posts per channel

Power Consumption : Typically 540 W (±5%) at idle
Typically 210 W (±5%) in standby

Power Output : 34.6 V rms (150 w/ch) at 8 ohms
34.6 V rms (300 w/ch) at 4 ohms
34.6 V rms (600 w/ch) at 2 ohms
34.6 V rms (1200 w/ch) at 1 ohms

All of the above power ratings measured from 20 Hz–20 kHz with no more than 0.3% THD

Signal to Noise Ratio : -75 dB CCIR

Voltage Gain : 26.8dB

Weight : 220lbs. (100kg) each

-------------------------------------------------

if you have $20,000 i highly recommend you pick up a pair.

and as far as the cables go, i have to say that i've tried interconnects made from Wrigley's Spearmint, Juicy Fruit, you name it. the Big Red provides an unparalled transparency. and the Mouse-Tail speaker cables cannot be beat. it's really the magic spell incorporated by the witch children. but DO NOT let them use rat tails or weasel tails or anything else. it HAS to be mouse tails, in accordance with The Prophecy. otherwise you lose all kinda detail in the 38-45KHz range.
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby geiginni on Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:50 am

This is fun. I love seeing how folks balance out their systems with what seems to be an unlimited combination of components. I'm totally not into cabling snake-oil though, in fact it pisses me off. The engineer in me will not allow me to be overcome by audio evangelism. High-priced interconnects = an act of faith.

Turntable - HarmanKardon T55-c, ITO arm

Cartridge - Grado Gold, beautiful cart, super tracking, super extended top

Amp - 1960-61 Fisher X-101-B, Amperex bugle-boy 12AX7's pre's, GE 12AX7's drivers, new Electro-Harmonix 7591A's. Gorgeous, if rather low power. To eventually be replaced with Harman-Kardon Citation II, Hotcha!

Speakers - B&W 603 s3, just broken in! Damn fine, but in my large space could use a sub to add some Ooomph.

CD - Denon DCM460, discrete output stages, BB DAC's, that's about all that matters...

The next step is really to get into a Citation II or pair of Heathkit W5M monoblocks, headroom should not be an issue at that point.

BTW - can anyone recommend a preamp that would pair well with a Citation II or V?

Thanks....
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Next

Return to General Discussion