Band: Minutemen

Postby Chris G on Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:20 am

Band: Minutemen
Chris G
intern
intern

Don't let those flannel shirts fool ya

Postby O H Lee on Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:43 pm

One amazing thing about the Minutemen was that while much of their popularity came from being part of the mid 80's "American Sound" "movement" along with bands like the Replacements, R.E.M. etc, the men's influencs were defintely more esoteric(BOC covers notwithstanding). I doubt a majority of those who have Minutemen records in 1985-86 also had Wire, Gang of 4 or Pop Group records.
O H Lee
junkballer
junkballer

Postby Angry_Dragon on Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:20 pm

Who voted CRAP?
Are they still on here?
I feel like I just saw an old lady get mugged.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby kerble on Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:39 pm

Not even close to crap. Except when watt shit himself for three days.

That's really more "poop" than "crap."

Not Crap then.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby garble on Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:41 am

hits like a tiger strikes at a snake.
garble
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:45 am

all i ever heard from these guys was two covers, Dr Wu, and Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love. those were both really cool.
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby Dylan on Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:44 am

toomanyhelicopters wrote:all i ever heard from these guys was two covers, Dr Wu, and Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love. those were both really cool.

Except he says "children" instead of "gentlemen", probably not taking Fagen's lisp into account.

N/C, btw
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby segerandpriest on Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:46 am

jesus christ.. is this a joke? who said the minutemen were crap??? i bet it was that individual who thinks the shipping news are "dreck..."
segerandpriest
pinocchio
pinocchio

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:51 am

Seriously. Who voted Crap?

Grazie to Seaside Lounge for this YHBTM website!!![/url]
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:57 am

Dylan wrote:
toomanyhelicopters wrote:all i ever heard from these guys was two covers, Dr Wu, and Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love. those were both really cool.

Except he says "children" instead of "gentlemen", probably not taking Fagen's lisp into account.

N/C, btw

a-rumma-numma-num! a-rumma-numma-num!

Dy-Lon! where you been lately maign?!?! i have to say thank you for bringing that up. i had noticed that too, and it made me question my long-held love for the way he sings "gentlemen", like he's wasted on hard liquor or something. so i very much enjoy your validation of what i had suspected! also, i am now thinking a bunch about katy lied, my favorite The Dan album of all time, and i will probably listen to it today as a result. gold teefs II is one of my favorite piano-based songs ever. and it works perfectly in the fall.

seriously, how could someone vote crap? it musta been one of the brits!

bradley, you can dig in there and find out who did it, right? roast! roast!
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby sakes on Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:19 pm

Were (are) Minutemen very well known / loved in Europe? My personal experience seems to point to "no". Curious. Same with The Replacements...everytime I would tell a European we were from Minneapolis, I would rattle off some band names just to maybe get a glimmer, and I noticed The Replacements were virtually unknown to everyone I talked to. I kinda lump Minutemen in that near-"Americana" vein as Replacements.
Then again...I didn't get much sleep last night.... :oops: :cry:
sakes
redd foxx
redd foxx

not crap

Postby joshsolberg on Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:03 pm

This is so obviously NOT CRAP. Even more so considering the San Pedro / South Bay scene the Minutemen inspired and that Mike Watt has been central in sustaining. All those people and bands make some of the consistently most interesting music in a town otherwise wayyyy too preoccupied with music fads. Also, the fact that Boon looked like a second-string center on a high-school football team is absolutely dreamy.
If it wasn't for landlords, there would have been no Karl Marx.
joshsolberg
dag hammarskjöld
dag hammarskjöld

Re: Don't let those flannel shirts fool ya

Postby Matthew Taylor on Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:00 pm

O H Lee wrote:One amazing thing about the Minutemen was that while much of their popularity came from being part of the mid 80's "American Sound" "movement" along with bands like the Replacements, R.E.M. etc, the men's influencs were defintely more esoteric(BOC covers notwithstanding). I doubt a majority of those who have Minutemen records in 1985-86 also had Wire, Gang of 4 or Pop Group records.

I don't think of the typical Minutemen fan (even by 1986) was into REM or the Replacements for the most part.

Most of the people I knew at that point, myself included, became fans of the Minutemen through either:

1. A live show they played at a punk rock club – the same clubs that those English punk bands had played, while your REMs/Replacements played the college rock venue.

2. Buying one of their records randomly from the SST catalog, which was mostly punk rock stuff at the time, compared to the IRS or Twintone rosters.

3. By word of mouth from someone who lived Step 1 or 2.

Now, who voted crap?
Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is pureley coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. Driver does not carry cash.
Matthew Taylor
scotty nguyen
scotty nguyen

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:42 pm

I voted CRAP.

Their degree of self-mythologizing is second only to Too $hort or something.

Boon's gtr sound alone should have made every Fender jizzcaster out there throw his/her axe into the pooper. He and Big Black made me wish amps came without treble knobs.

How about the snare sound on "3-Way Tie For Last"?

That "hip-hop" song "No One" is maybe the world's worst song.

In between speilin', hollerin', pluckin', blazin', hankerin', puckerin', knuckerin', suckerin', buckerin', and fuckerin', try mixin' in a salad!

With a straight face, Boon wrote lyrics like "there are no parades for these heroes" and "the scars that never heal" and equally smelly cliches. Before emo, even!

Okay, I can't keep this up. But I'd like it if someone actually hated them. Nothing's worse than a fucking sacred cow. Seems like the Minutemen themselves would agree.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Superking on Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:00 pm

everytime I would tell a European we were from Minneapolis, I would rattle off some band names just to maybe get a glimmer, and I noticed The Replacements were virtually unknown to everyone I talked to.

Having grown up in the 80s (for the most part), and having Minneapolis as the city I identified with (lived in South Dakota and we didn't have a 'city'), I had always assumed that the Replacements were sort of huge. I mean, they were in Rolling Stone occasionally n' shit.

But I have a good friend who grew up in the Bronx (and is queer for all that semi-indie 80s rock), and she never got into the 'Mats, in fact had never heard them at all until recently (and then it was too late!).
Superking
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby shagboy on Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:07 pm

i voted crap, because i seek to frustrate 8)
shagboy
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Dylan on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:39 am

Angus Jung wrote:But I'd like it if someone actually hated them. Nothing's worse than a fucking sacred cow. Seems like the Minutemen themselves would agree.

While I don't agree with the CRAP vote, huzzah to the tipping of sacred cows.
shagboy wrote:i voted crap, because i seek to frustrate

While I don't agree with the CRAP vote, huzzah to the contrarian nature.
Dylan

Postby Angry_Dragon on Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:27 pm

Okay
There are Now 4 CRAP votes.
Who is responsible for this that hasn't admitted to it yet?
I am displeased.
In fact, that doesn't even do it justice to how I feel about this.
I am unpleased.
I had to make up a word just desbribe my feelings.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby endofanera on Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:39 pm

I really, really, really wish I could change my vote.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Seaside Lounge on Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:45 am

Angus Jung wrote:With a straight face, Boon wrote lyrics like "there are no parades for these heroes" and "the scars that never heal" and equally smelly cliches. Before emo, even!

I would never accuse The Minutemen of taking themselves too seriously. Their lyrics are, to me, a really powerful and original blend of sincerity and lightheartedness. Not Crap.
Seaside Lounge
carter family
carter family

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap