Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Nico

CRAP
24%
NOT CRAP
76%

Total votes : 67

Postby Angus Jung on Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:35 am

Cranius wrote:There was a very thorough Nico documentary on the BBC, a couple of years back, and John Cale played an incredible rendition of 'Frozen Warnings' on the piano at the end.

Yes. This was a very passionate, moving tribute.

I know nothing about their relationship, other than the fact that they worked together musically. But seeing Cale play this song, you know he must have really loved her.

Nico gets a big N/C from me.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby sunlore on Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:01 am

Desertshore, Marble Index, Chelsea Girls, these are some of my favorite records.

So NOT CRAP, Nico.
sunlore
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Glittering Prizes on Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:44 pm

NOT CRAP for this.
Glittering Prizes
cannon fodder
cannon fodder

Postby Christopher J. Dragonfly on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:36 am

Her interpretations are sublime,incomparable.
Christopher J. Dragonfly
fan
fan

Postby nihil on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:55 am

I could be making this up, but I seem to remember a story about Lou Reed correcting Nico's performance (phrasing/timing?) at rehearsal. It pissed her off and she apparently said, "I will never fuck another Jew!"
nihil
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby kenoki on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:51 am

yuck, when i was a very young lady i would listen to my velvet underground records and cringe whenever nico would get involved (see: all tomorrows parties)-- you know, and i think this was the most natural reaction for me, since i did not know listening to vu would be, in my future, a cool thing to do. now things have changed A LITTLE, and that is i like maybe 3 songs of her's solo... and the typical ones too from chelsea girl. otherwise, i do not think nico rocks. i think she sucks.

p.s. i'm glad to see other people think she's crap too!!!!!!
kenoki
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby tipcat on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:23 am

Rotten Tanx wrote:Crap. What I imagine Camilla Parker Bowles would sound like if she sang.

Actually, it has been scientifically determined that the future Princess Consort would sound exactly like Petula Clark.

Nico's cover of Dylan's "I'll Keep It With Mine" is stunning. Not crap for that alone.
tipcat
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby WoundedFoot on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:55 am

I like Nico... even though she pronunces "Clown" wrong, and it becomes "Klon" in all those VU tracks. Her original songs aren't bad either.

Extra Note: She died on my birthday....
WoundedFoot

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:50 am

WoundedFoot wrote:I like Nico... even though she pronunces "Clown" wrong, and it becomes "Klon" in all those VU tracks.

How well do you pronounce German?
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby chopjob on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:17 pm

I didn't think I was seeing things when I glossed over something somewhere about a new Nico product: hereit is.

2007 digitally remastered two CD set that combines the late rock singer's albums The Marble Index (1969) and Desert Shore (1970) plus 17 previously unreleased tracks. The Marble Index, produced by Velvet Underground's John Cale, features an array of bonus tracks as does Desert Shore, which was also produced by Cale with Joe Boyd.. Features in depth liner notes, rare photos and memorabilia. 34 tracks.

NOT CRAP either.

Nico Icon is another story.
chopjob
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby robert thefamilyghost on Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:10 pm

chopjob wrote:I didn't think I was seeing things when I glossed over something somewhere about a new Nico product: hereit is.

damnit...i hate rebuying albums i already have but of course i cannot say no to 17 previously unreleased tracks! ah well...
placeholder wrote:I'm in The Family Ghost. I don't like mentioning my band by name too much because I feel cheesy doing it.
robert thefamilyghost
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby falsedog on Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:36 pm

Throbbing Gristle are making their version of the Desert Shore album
falsedog
kareem abdul jabbar
kareem abdul jabbar

Postby Isabelle Gall on Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:26 pm

falsedog wrote:Throbbing Gristle are making their version of the Desert Shore album

And isn't that going to be the most desperately piss poor thing ever made.

I mean, as if fucking TG were ever capable of recording something on the level of 'Desert Shore'. Please. Nothing but an insult to a great, singular woman and incredible artist who was as beautiful as TG are ugly (in every conceivable way).
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby falsedog on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:50 am

You're right of course, TG's reluctance to hit a note, maudlin lyrical themes and screeching violins would only undermine the approach Nico took in her recordings.
falsedog
kareem abdul jabbar
kareem abdul jabbar

Postby Eierdiebe on Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:34 am

I really like the song "Alone" off Desert Shore. (Sadly, it's been something of a theme for me.)

Sometimes Nico's singing gets on my nerves -- I have to be in the right mood for it -- but in general I appreciate her voice and she's made too much good music to get anything but an "N/C" from yours truly.

I like the moment in Nico Icon wherein her mother is playing an old copy of the first VU record and she begins to weep while singing along with "I'll Be Your Mirror" (a fine song, but rather crushing in this context).
Eierdiebe
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby carpe_diaz on Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:42 pm

My favorite Nico/VU memory of all is getting off of a plane in Jeddah Saudi Arabia, the tarmack guarded by tense looking teenage soldiers brandishing rifles bigger than themselves. We boarded a bus for the terminal and I heard the soft, but unmistakable sound of "Femme Fatale" playing over the PA.

Surrounded by nervous faces that looked nothing like mine, I couldn't help but start laughing uncontrollably. How the fuck did that slip past the censors???
carpe_diaz
courtesan
courtesan

Postby enframed on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:32 pm

nc.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Isabelle Gall on Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:23 pm

falsedog wrote:You're right of course, TG's reluctance to hit a note, maudlin lyrical themes and screeching violins would only undermine the approach Nico took in her recordings.

Odd then how one is incredible and the other isn't. Almost as if there's some unidentifiable, ineffable quotent which has been left out of your equation altogether...talent, you could call it, or greatness. Then again, Nico was making a real record for a real audience as opposed to fleecing a laughably uncritical fanbase who will eagerly lap-up their thoroughly reconstructed yet still moribund 'heroes' soapy cockwash:
http://tg.greedbag.com/buy/the-desertsh ... tallation/
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Mark Hansen on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:18 am

Isabelle Gall wrote:
falsedog wrote:You're right of course, TG's reluctance to hit a note, maudlin lyrical themes and screeching violins would only undermine the approach Nico took in her recordings.

Odd then how one is incredible and the other isn't. Almost as if there's some unidentifiable, ineffable quotent which has been left out of your equation altogether...talent, you could call it, or greatness. Then again, Nico was making a real record for a real audience as opposed to fleecing a laughably uncritical fanbase who will eagerly lap-up their thoroughly reconstructed yet still moribund 'heroes' soapy cockwash:
http://tg.greedbag.com/buy/the-desertsh ... tallation/

I don't understand why TG would do this. I just picked up their new album, and I think it's great, so I don't see why they would feel the need to do something like this.

would it be like Gus Van Sant's remake of Psycho? Interesting experiment, but ultimately lifeless and unneccesary?
"for when you bring two objects of such astounding masses of suck as these two together, they circle each other at incredible velocity until finally merging into an infinitely dense singularity of suck"
Mark Hansen

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:29 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:VAT A KLAHN.

CREP.

This was an incredibly stupid post. Have been listening to her first couple of solo albums and love every bit of them.

Still not a big fan of her work on the Velvet Underground's first album, but jesus, this is good stuff.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap