Mitt Romney

CRAP
96%
NOT CRAP
4%

Total votes : 129

Presidential Contender: Mitt Romney

Postby CJMcG on Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:38 pm

I almost wanted to title this Political Opportunist: Mitt Romney, but felt I should be a little more objective.

Two really good articles on the guy:

"Making Mitt Romney: How to fabricate a conservative" by Ken Silverstein

Mitt Romney: Will Republicans Elect a Bloodsucking CEO? by Matt Taibbi

One really scary website.
CJMcG
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Marsupialized on Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:49 pm

I'd have to see what his wife looks like before I made any kind of decision
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby kenoki on Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:55 pm

um yeah, i guess it goes without saying, but fuck mitt romney. by that i mean butt fuck mitt romney.
kenoki
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby chet on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:13 pm

Marsupialized wrote:I'd have to see what his wife looks like before I made any kind of decision

You sound like a Kucinich man to me.

Makes you want to run, doesn't it?
chet
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby alex maiolo on Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:59 pm

This is who Fred Thompson married:

Trophy wives abound in politics.
That guy is a dipshit.

As for Romney, not a chance. The minute America starts to understand a religion that offends their evangelical ways, he's toast.

And he's a dipshit.

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby galanter on Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:14 pm

Top evangelist leaders have already started to announce their support for Romney. He has his ducks lined up to win some early primaries. Giuliani has skeletons in the closet and "values" problems with the Republican base. But Romney was able to win in Massachusetts of all places.. I wouldn't count him out so easily.

(These are just sport predictions on my part, not statements of political support.)
galanter
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby CJMcG on Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:40 pm

galanter wrote:Top evangelist leaders have already started to announce their support for Romney.

Ken Silverstein wrote:Moreover, the Romney campaign in June formed a national “faith and values steering committee” that includes four South Carolinians, among them a pastor, Mark White, and a Christian political activist, Dee Benedict. Both White and Benedict—whom Romney also put on the payroll as a consultant—are from upstate, the heart of South Carolina conservatism.
CJMcG

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:51 pm

Fuck Mitt Romney. He's a political opportunist, a flipflopper and trying to get in with the evangelicals.

Some of the other Republican candidates can't stand him - McCain in particular really doesn't like him.

Also, take a look at this.

Salon.com wrote:
"So did Mitt Romney stumble over his own tongue when he referred to Osama bin Laden as Barack Obama -- twice -- this week, or was he doing something more?

Obama says he can't be sure. "I think when Romney starts saying this stuff, sometimes it may be honest mistakes, sometimes not," Obama said during a campaign appearance in New Hampshire Wednesday.

In response to another question -- one about how he'd defend himself against attacks like the Swift boating of John Kerry -- Obama said that he has "no doubt there will be some of that -- trying to make me into this foreign, odd, clearly black person and to scare people."

Mitt Romney is a slimy piece of shit.

This guy is endorsed by Bob Jones III. What more of a warning sign do you need than that?

Fuck Mitt Romney.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby alex maiolo on Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:21 pm

galanter wrote:Top evangelist leaders have already started to announce their support for Romney. He has his ducks lined up to win some early primaries. Giuliani has skeletons in the closet and "values" problems with the Republican base. But Romney was able to win in Massachusetts of all places.. I wouldn't count him out so easily.

I would.
Things will surface.
People will freak out.
I guarantee it.

America is not ready for talk of magic underwear, polygamy, or a 19th century savior. That's how it will be painted, and they won't go for it. The evangelicals will split just enough to matter, unlike with GWB, when they were united.

The guy may win some primaries, and there's a chance that he might even get nominated, if for no other reason than the choices are weak.
But this man will not become president.

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo

Postby CJMcG on Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:38 am

alex maiolo wrote:
galanter wrote:Top evangelist leaders have already started to announce their support for Romney. He has his ducks lined up to win some early primaries. Giuliani has skeletons in the closet and "values" problems with the Republican base. But Romney was able to win in Massachusetts of all places.. I wouldn't count him out so easily.

I would.
Things will surface.
People will freak out.
I guarantee it.

America is not ready for talk of magic underwear, polygamy, or a 19th century savior. That's how it will be painted, and they won't go for it. The evangelicals will split just enough to matter, unlike with GWB, when they were united.
Dude can buy or sell anysone
The guy may win some primaries, and there's a chance that he might even get nominated, if for no other reason than the choices are weak.
But this man will not become president.

-A
Dude can buy or sell anyone.
Literally, I thought Fred Thompson and his coma inducing speeches was bad...
This guy isn't a politician.
He's a businessman.
CJMcG

Postby unarmedman on Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:50 am

On this board I called his nomination close to a year ago. If I were a betting man I'd still bet on Romney getting the Republican nod.
"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill
unarmedman
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby etch on Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:42 am

Romney's a creep and I suspect he's the kind of guy who takes care of business if need be.

Check out his hench Jay 'Trooper' Garrity for further evidence.
etch
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby alex maiolo on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:12 am

unarmedman wrote:On this board I called his nomination close to a year ago. If I were a betting man I'd still bet on Romney getting the Republican nod.

Mark my words:
If he gets the bid, the silent, less political evangelicals will stay home.
The information age will show what it can do. By next November, this man will be damaged goods.

This country isn't even comfortable with a Jewish president. The Old Testament is a Jewish book. We are allies with Israel. Culturally, large segments of America are exposed to Jewish culture and humor daily. Many, many high ranking officals over the years have been Jewish.

However, when Lieberman was running for office, people were less concerned that he was a secret Republican than if he could work on Saturday. They thought his lifestyle was weird.

Compound that by 200, and that's what Romney has to deal with. Documentaries and articles on the history of the LDS will pop up, and the chatter at the office will turn to Joe Smith, the lost tablets, the recent history of polygamy and special underwear.

Quite frankly I have no problem with these things. All religion is full of crazy stories, the Mormons are guilty of nothing more than theirs being, apparently, too recent to be valid. It's OK that Moses parted the Red Sea thousands of years ago, but Smith talked to God in the 1800s? Now that's just crazy talk!

My problem with Romey is I don't trust him. He creeps me out for non-LDS related reasons. He would be a creep if he were a Baptist or a Jain.

My point is that this guy doesn't have a chance with the majority of Americans. As with Kerry, the people who are nominating him can't see that most people are going to look at this man as if he were encased in a cloud of fart.

Their best chance is Huckabee, but they just don't seem to see that.

-A
alex maiolo

Postby chet on Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:07 am

alex maiolo wrote:
My problem with Romey is I don't trust him. He creeps me out for non-LDS related reasons. He would be a creep if he were a Baptist or a Jain.

Yep, having lived in Mass. under his reign, I can say hes just a very slick, polished politician who will say anything to get elected.

This is a great youtube video showing an newer Romney presidential ad vs. one of his older governor campaign ads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=widrFYld5Rw

See what I mean? Politics as usual.

You're right Alex. Huckabee could pull it off, but his popularity just isn't there right now.
chet
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby kenoki on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:52 am

alex maiolo wrote:
unarmedman wrote:On this board I called his nomination close to a year ago. If I were a betting man I'd still bet on Romney getting the Republican nod.

Mark my words:
If he gets the bid, the silent, less political evangelicals will stay home.
The information age will show what it can do. By next November, this man will be damaged goods.

I sort of agree with both unarmedman and Alex. On one hand I can see his getting the nomination. Have you guys listened to the Limbaugh lately? (My guess is no.) It's almost silly the amount of support Romney's getting from the casual right-wing bible thumper. Here is a direct quote from one scary lady, "I mean, but he believes in Jesus." It seems like a lot of folks are selling the idea that the Mormons take care of their own and are faith and family driven, while completely neglecting their CRAZY (Scientologist crazy) heretical doctrine/history, as though Mormonism was more akin to Baptists, Pentecostals and Charismatics than Catholicism. Think how easy it is for social conservatives to pick and choose what they want to hear... it would require a candidate and the right-wing press to start showing religious intolerance (not a stretch) towards Mormonism for this guy to go away; I have a feeling this is subconsciously a way for many to feel like something other than a bigot by embracing a candidate who's religion is different from their own (but not Muslim). His best shot at being derailed from within his own party is to bring up that he is wishy-washy on the topic of abortion. Specifically that up until 2002 he was pro-choice reportedly because he "became committed to legalized abortion after a relative died during an illegal abortion, and that the abortion made him see 'that regardless of one's beliefs about choice, you would hope it would be safe and legal.'" But with Guiliani in the hot seat with the addition of gay rights to stoke the fire Romney could be safe.

Then again I can't totally see a Mormon winning the nomination... so who knows. But Mitt Romney scares the bujeezus out of me.
kenoki
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby galanter on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:14 pm

I hear a lot more anti-Mormon bias on this board than I do from conservatives or even conservative evangelicals. (Then again, I hear a lot more general anti-religion bias here overall as well.)

In a straight up race between Romney and Clinton, at this point I'd identify Clinton's high negatives as more of a factor than Romney's religion. For whatever reasons (I'd start with latent sexism) she polarizes voters greatly.

(Again, this is all sports talk having nothing to do with my personal preferences).
galanter

Postby Ernest on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:29 pm

galanter wrote:I hear a lot more anti-Mormon bias on this board than I do from conservatives or even conservative evangelicals. (Then again, I hear a lot more general anti-religion bias here overall as well.)

I don't think there's much of an anti-mormon view, as there is an anti-evangelical one. regarding politics. Whenever a politician brings his religious views into discussion, honest or contrived, it's natural for us to react the way we do.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Minotaur029 on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:42 pm

alex p. keaton wrote:Their best chance is Huckabee, but they just don't seem to see that.

Word, homie.

The Republican candidates are incredibly weak (first tier) but Huckabee would definitely stand a chance against Hillary.

Yes, Hillary will get the nomination. Fuck me in the ass. Do you think she will change anything? I sincerely doubt it. You don't bet on a losing horse...that's why the Democrats are actually outfundraising the Republicans. She's being bought by the same sorts of people who own Bush.

I have no idea what is going to happen in the Republican race. Usually I could tell you, but it's a field that defies the imagination and explanation. Giuliani as the "front-runner?" Have the Republicans gone crazy?

Actually...the whole Hillary thing...have the Democrats gone crazy?
Minotaur029

Postby Minotaur029 on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:43 pm

galanter wrote:I hear a lot more anti-Mormon bias on this board than I do from conservatives or even conservative evangelicals. (Then again, I hear a lot more general anti-religion bias here overall as well.)

In a straight up race between Romney and Clinton, at this point I'd identify Clinton's high negatives as more of a factor than Romney's religion. For whatever reasons (I'd start with latent sexism) she polarizes voters greatly.

(Again, this is all sports talk having nothing to do with my personal preferences).

Clinton would destroy Romney. Period.
Minotaur029

Postby alex maiolo on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:56 pm

Skronk wrote:

I don't think there's much of an anti-mormon view, as there is an anti-evangelical one.

Exactly. In this thread, and others, my point has been what makes a Mormon's belief any crazier than any other religious person's?
It's all myth that depends on truckloads of faith.

"Can a person walk across a lake?"
"Of course not"
"But you believe Jesus did?"
"Of course I do, he's Jesus!"

Why is this crazier than the Joe Smith story?
It's not.

However, the people in Nebraska won't see it that way. That's all I'm saying.

Like MinotaurP.Keaton and I have said, Huckabee is the guy.
He's Christian, but he's also kind. He believes in creationism, but doesn't think it excludes evolution - which is one of many ways to define "intelligent design," a very misunderstood term by the Left.
He thinks his Christianity demands that he do something about the poor, and regularly says he's embarrassed by what his party didn't do in New Orleans. In short, he practices what he preaches. He is genuinely compasionate. That means people on the left won't freak the hell out if he gets in office because he doesn't have plans on making his views law, but he is stauchly religious in a way that makes him try to be good and honest (ostensibly).

Compare this with Hillary. People on the right *would* freak out if she got into office, which means people will work hard to prevent that. Really, who is going to work overtime to smear Huckabee in the way they would smear H. Clinton, Romney or Giulianni? Those three would be "getting what they deserve," whereas kicking Huckabee is kicking a "good guy."

THAT is the strategy for this election - run someone who isn't going to get out the hate-the-candidate anti-vote.

-A
alex maiolo

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap