Total votes : 163

Band: The Grateful Dead

Postby Seaside Lounge on Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:47 pm

Haven't done this one yet.
Seaside Lounge
carter family
carter family

Postby Angry_Dragon on Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:51 pm

I've tried and tried to listen to this band that Lee Ranaldo says is a huge influence and it just doesn't happen. CRAP
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby segerandpriest on Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:27 pm

this band has moments to be reckoned with, particularly if you're forced by college chums to wade through hundreds of pretty inconsistent live tapes. they were on to something in the early 70's, very much in response to _black beauty_ -era miles, that is very very sonic youthy, i've always thought. it's also very cool.
segerandpriest
pinocchio
pinocchio

Postby ticdouloureaux on Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:51 pm

the drum circle recordings I've heard are good, if you want to pretend your an indian, the rest of their output, I have tried to grasp, just cant get into it...and believe me I have heard a ton of this stuff, as alot of my former punk rocker friends have went to the other side (mainly for the LSD and mushrooms you get at the shows).....CRAP.

Plus everyone I know who likes the "dead" are generally fucknuggets who pretend they are hippies, and I just cant bring myself to enjoy the music they like, the same goes for fish. I will not spell it with the PH. Wanna be hippies can phuck oph. Real hippies can eat my phucking shit valve.

Sorry for the vulgarities, but I really dislike this genre.

CRAP. CRAP. CRAP.

The dead were to be considered the ultimate hippy band, and they sold ties, underwear and all sorts of other shit, they should have sold soap and shampoo. Phuck me.
ticdouloureaux
redd foxx
redd foxx

Postby yawn on Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:44 pm

Isn't "hippy" just a word that jittery hepatitus yellow fifty somethings use to describe themselves so they won't scare you when they ask where they can score some Dilaudid.
yawn
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby 154 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:04 pm

hmm..

their psychadelic improv stuff sucks..
the country-folkish 'american beauty' era stuff sucks..
"touch of grey" sucks..
having two barely competent drummers sucks..
9 string basses suck..

so yeah, CRAP, but..

Jerry Garcia's guitar= NOT CRAP! that thing looks badass
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re: Band: The Grateful Dead

Postby Hiwatt on Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:15 pm

Seaside Lounge wrote:Haven't done this one yet.

Oh come on.

Fuckin crap!
I <3 meat hod.
Hiwatt
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:22 pm

I just heard "Friend Of The Devil". It sounded pretty good.

Looking Glass' "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)" came on right after it, though, and blew it away.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby Wernehm_Zackariaah on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:26 pm

The greatest band ever. They're my friends too. I enjoyed paying $35 to watch my friends dick around on guitar.
I wrote:lots and lots of stupid, mean-spirited stuff.
Wernehm_Zackariaah
ollie
ollie

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:33 pm

:P
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby the Classical on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:38 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Looking Glass' "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)" came on right after it, though, and blew it away.

I alos heard this song on the radio the other day and was suprised by how much I enjoyed it, a great song indeed.

the Grateful Dead suck, esp for the reasons mentioned by 154 above. That they have two drumemrs yet sound like the barely have one is a musically mystery on par w/ "If the Eagles did so much coke how come they didn't have at least one song that even sort of rocks?". I suppose you could say the same of the Dead. A band that is truly as bad you think they are.
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Wernehm_Zackariaah on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:38 pm

Dude... my favorite bands are The Greatful Dead, String Cheese, Phish, Rusted Root, Project/Object and Zappa.

The more wanky the guitar solo, the better. Yeah! The guitar should be the center of any good band. After all, it's called "Guitar Center" and not "Xylophone Center" or "Calliope Center".

GET A CLUE!
Wernehm_Zackariaah
ollie
ollie

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:41 pm

LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby Wernehm_Zackariaah on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:54 pm

I was wondering what you stuck up your rectum, toomanyhelicopters. Thanks for sharing. We got it.
Wernehm_Zackariaah
ollie
ollie

Postby The Kid on Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:09 pm

Maybe it's because I was forced to listen to so much of this shit by my older sister and people I knew in college, but I don't mind a lot of the Dead's songs. They're sloppy as hell, way too many solos, but still some melodies that stick in my head.
I hate, however, the silly drum fuck-around in the middle of every goddamn show, when everybody had to go backstage and snort/smoke/drink/inject/get blown by chicks who don't bathe.
Also, I truly feel pity for the people who get way too into bands like the Dead or Phish, so much so that they don't buy music by any other musicians. I've met people who owned thousands of Dead live tapes.
And that's it. That's their music collection. This kind of thing makes me want to ask people, "are you brain damaged? You are, right?"
But you can't say that kind of thing to people, even when you should.
The Kid
canasta
canasta

Postby tmidgett on Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:39 am

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:I just heard "Friend Of The Devil". It sounded pretty good.

that's probably their best song. _american beauty_ and _workingman's dead_ have a couple decent songs each.

the dead have their moments, but these 'moments' are, literally, like, ten to fifteen seconds of decent guitar playing or appealingly broken singing amidst many, many minutes of willfully half-assed diddling around.

they seem like pretty good guys. i like their aesthetic. i don't like the atmosphere, and i don't like the music.

it's crap, but i feel the need to prove to myself periodically that i still feel that way
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby joshsolberg on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:45 am

Q: How many Deadheads does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: Never happens. They just follow it around in a van for 25 years, watching it burn out.

Seriously, though, folks, the Dead had one decent album, Workingman's, but that album is bested by any of the output of Quicksilver Mesenger Service, Gram Parsons, the Band, and so many other "Americana" groups that there's really no point to suffering the embarassment that comes with actually purchasing that album fromyour local record store. Grateful Dead are crap. What the fans and the rest of the band did to poor, damaged Jerry garcia for the sake of "keeping the music alive" is disgraceful.
If it wasn't for landlords, there would have been no Karl Marx.
joshsolberg
dag hammarskjöld
dag hammarskjöld

Postby joshsolberg on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:46 am

Fuck yeah, I just noticed that I am Graham Kerr. What a drunk I am!
If it wasn't for landlords, there would have been no Karl Marx.
joshsolberg
dag hammarskjöld
dag hammarskjöld

Postby spoot on Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:02 am

As a former deadhead, I always feel a responsibility to speak out on this subject.

The Dead's primary appeal, as everyone knows, was their live show. They may have limited musical appeal to lots of critical listeners, but the thing that made them huge was that there was something about a Dead show that wasn't being replicated anywhere else on earth. (I think that might be from a bumper sticker. Forgive me.)

There was a sense of community at those shows, shared by a significant percentage of the audience, that was hard to beat if you felt you were a part of it in any way. For whatever reason you felt it (LSD, lack of sleep, whatever), if you felt ecstatic (and I mean bouncing-of-the-walls, this-is-the-greatest-night-ever ecstatic), and you knew that most of the people around you were feeling a similar ecstasy... it was a stunningly good feeling. That sense of shared experience added to the feeling of ecstasy, and probably made us all a little crazy.

Some of the appeal may have come from the feeling that the band were playing directly off of the energy of the audience. Most bands do this to a greater or lesser degree; the Dead did it like nobody's business, so it was easy to feel, as an audience member, that you were almost as involved in making the show happen as the band itself. That felt cool.

If you didn't feel you were a part of it, it was probably little more than smelly and noodly. After a few years the ecstasy diminished and the smell became overpowering, and I stopped going to Dead shows.

The Dead had a remarkable command of musical dynamics, and an extremely patient audience. Since I was once a solid part of that patient audience - and since I like Workingman's Dead - I give them a solid not crap. They gave me a mighty good time.
spoot
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby lamont sanford on Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:10 pm

Me likes to call this stuff "slit yer wrist music" as in, "when is this friggin' song gonna end? KILL ME NOW!!" Hippies are "Hippy" to have an excuse to be stinky, me thinks. Doodie-Crap.
Free Varg Vikernes, the Dalai Lama says so.
lamont sanford
sister
sister

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap