home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Let us see your practice space/room

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Let us see your practice space/room

Postby crustandcrumb on Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 pm

man, that is a fine idea. looking into it as we speak.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby scott on Thu May 31, 2012 12:48 pm

I don't have one anymore and likely never will again, except if I set my basement up for it which who knows. But here are a couple 360* panoramas of my former space taken during the process of moving out.

http://360.io/qwcL4R

http://360.io/HfZgBx

It was the best. If I think about it too much I'll miss it.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby crustandcrumb on Thu May 31, 2012 1:06 pm

^ looks comfy as hell up in there. and two kits!
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb

Postby beard rock on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:47 am

This pic is from when I first moved in. Have since gussied the place up with xmas lights...

Currently looking to share my practice space in Chicago! It's on the nw side, right off the highway. It's the same building where PRF favorites Bearpaw, Major For A Wife, and C'Mon I Need Yer Cum also hone their mad rawk skills. My space was actually two rooms where the previous tenant took down the wall in beetween so it's obvious which half would be "yours" and which half would be "mine." Your half is roughly 11x15 from what I remember with nice and tall ceilings. We share no walls with any other bands as it is a mixed use space. 24 hour access. Your rent would be $225 a month and the lease is only month to month. Shoot me a pm if interested and when you could move in. Danka.

Eric
Attachments
05-27-12951125.jpg
Currently: Clean Shaven Rock
beard rock
viscount
viscount

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:23 pm

I finally bit the bullet and got some decent PA speakers, since I was offered a good deal on an enormous pair of Mackies. Now our rehearsal space sounds like a venue. Kapow.

I'm really enjoying having a larger space now that we're settled in. After our last tiny space, this is total luxury. I only wish I could make it down there more often.

Actually, it may be a little bit too comfortable and spacious down there, as we seem to be attracting hairy men and you will note that a second drum kit has appeared in our lounge area...
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby a leg plaster on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:16 am

Corner wall of a basement. Will probably relocate when a real drummer comes around.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby J. Burns on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:57 am

SEMINARS
Attachments
image.jpg
J. Burns
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby evanrowe on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:11 pm

Last spring I had a shed built and delivered to my backyard by a guy named Dean. It rained every other day or so from January to April, and so it took forever for the ground to be dry enough to have it show up, but eventually they drove it up my driveway and landed a 14'x24' building on my stakes on the first try. It was something to see.

I grossly underestimated the slope of my yard, and so had to immediately set about building a pretty serious ramp to drive motorcycles into the building.

While I did this and rebuilt our fence Durham was experiencing an apocalyptic infestation of cankerworms, which you might know affectionately as inchworms, but which are actually total assholes that defoliate your trees, then just dangle around on dumb spiderweb-type strings and shit, all day long, all over everything. It sounds like a gentle rain, this constant shitting. Part of their life cycle involves a wingless goddamn moth that looks like something out of Resident Evil. Fuck Cankerworms, forever.
Anyway, to keep the ramp on our property it was kind of steep, and so Pro Tip: for traction, you can add that grit stuff for paint to deck stain even though it says you can't and it works really well.

A couple months later, while my wife was in Russia for work, I ran a 60A branch circuit from my main panel to the building. This involved a 30' trench dug 24" deep across my backyard, which is less a yard and more a field of clay with a giant stupid Willow Oak in it. Because I am cheap and stupid, I dug this trench by hand. Southern clay has the density of the sun, and this tree's roots looked like a bird's nest if that bird were H.R. Giger. Also we received over eight inches of rain in the span of four days; those four days came while I was digging this trench. So I basically dug it three times. I'd dig while the kid napped, then run inside covered in mud when the baby monitor started to squeak. I'd dig in the middle of the night, hacking at roots and swearing, eyes stinging from the DEET my sweat carried into them, mosquitoes audibly laughing right before they dug in and drank their fill, my only hope that somehow my very blood was angry enough at this task to eat them from the inside. Swinging a pick like a vindictive frontiersman burying the bodies of consarned claim jumpers and wildcatters right where I'd cleaved their skulls, catching my shadow on the fence and wondering what my neighbors thought, then wondering what the hell was wrong with neighbors who wouldn't call the cops on this sort of thing. And the next day I'd bail out the two feet of water and dig some more, sliding around in boots caked with so much clay it was hard to lift my feet. The yard was like GD Vietnam.

Once things dried out a bit my pal Steve from my Other Band as well as the mighty Spider Bags helped me run the rest of the conduit on the house and pull a bunch of #6 wire. Then I pounded eight feet of 5/8" steel into the earth for a ground, put a subpanel and breakers in the building, ran Romex, installed receptacles and lights, and finally cut the cord. Not having the building run off a drop cord really made it seem much less like a mobile meth lab, so that was nice.

I'd had them put a wall with a door at 12', dividing the building into two roughly 14'x12' rooms. The "front" half has a 9' garage door, an entry door, and a couple windows, and is shop space for work on motorcycles and electrical things and cymbals and whatever else I break. Before we had the kiddo, I used to do the soldering and fork seal replacing and whatnot in the room where she now lives (yes, of course I cleaned it, you should have seen the paperwork to get the Superfund money, THANKS OBAMA), so it's really nice to have a space dedicated to all that nonsense again.

On the other side of that door I built a practice space, which is really what this thread is supposed to be about. I spent a lot of time reading and drawing and planning and hemming and fucking hawing, lying awake knowing that like everything I think I know how to do this too will fail, it's all for naught, etc etc. But as some of you know, I play in a very loud band, and so with the building about 30' from my kid's room and not much further from the neighbors, I figured I needed to drop what was likely 115-120dB inside to about 65dB right outside to not have the cops over immediately. Only thing that will do that is a room inside a room. And so.

Here's a link to the few (annotated) pictures of the process that I remembered to take. I tend to get a little wrapped up in the thing I am doing and forget to document it adequately to A: tell the story of it, and B: know how I did it for future reference so maybe I'll avoid making the same mistakes (never happen, Jack.) There were many, many times I would just stand in the middle of the half-done thing and say aloud Oh, fuck me, I hope this works. I had a lot of help from Andy and Chris from MPLSTV and Jason and Steve from JK+5/5 and Rich with whom I ride motorcycles, and it wouldn't have happened without them. Thanks also to FMs Steve, Justin Foley, and areopagite for their better documentation of their respective builds. My room is no Electrical or Kerguelen, and it doesn't have to be, but their methods and pictures definitely helped me figure out how to do this. And it doesn't have the sweet climate control of Plate Six's space (in fact it as yet has no ventilation, save opening the door periodically, but that'll get sorted in the spring), but the great pictures of their process led me to believe my pals and I could pull this off. And I'll be damned if it doesn't knock our jet engine roar down to about 70 dBA measured just outside the building. At the side of our house it's 60. Inside it apparently sounds like someone is maybe listening to music in a car, and if the TV is on it's not even there. We don't practice as late as we used to, but that's probably for the best as it is. Man oh man is it nice to play drums at home again for the first time since I moved out of my folks' place at 18.

It worked, holy shit, it worked.
Ty Webb wrote:The gutters are filled with bullets, blood and bacon. No room for "petrol".

Maple Stave
Today's Forecast
Heather Loves Silkworm!
evanrowe
wolf
wolf

Postby John W. on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:36 pm

You rock. So cool! Thanks for sharing.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Bon Hoga on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:52 pm

It gets loud in here.

http://gudron.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/gudrontheband

big_dave wrote:If you want to be a racist, the best thing to do is be Eric Clapton.
Bon Hoga
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby ldopa_chicago on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Taken last night at Fake-agon/Nonalimbs practice.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar in Daddy's Boy
I played guitar in Fake Limbs and bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago

Postby Teacher's Pet on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:25 pm

evanrowe wrote:It worked, holy shit, it worked.

Rock on! Wow.
Teacher's Pet
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby prowler on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:47 am

that's awesome indeed
prowler
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Dudley on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:38 am

Evanrowe, that is one of my favourite PRF posts ever. Impressive, funny, cheering, plus educational.

evanrowe wrote:While I did this and rebuilt our fence Durham was experiencing an apocalyptic infestation of cankerworms, which you might know affectionately as inchworms, but which are actually total assholes that defoliate your trees, then just dangle around on dumb spiderweb-type strings and shit, all day long, all over everything. It sounds like a gentle rain, this constant shitting. Part of their life cycle involves a wingless goddamn moth that looks like something out of Resident Evil. Fuck Cankerworms, forever.

Having been unaware of them until two minutes ago, may I jump aboard the "fuck cankerworms" bandwagon?

Just out of interest, how much does having a shed like that built and delivered cost? Cheaper than doing it in place?
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby bassdriver on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:07 am

evanrowe wrote:Image

splendid!!
ImDADA wrote: Die Richtung ist die Chefetage.
bassdriver
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby benadrian on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:09 pm

evanrowe wrote:Last spring I had a shed built and delivered to my backyard by a guy named Dean...

snip

It worked, holy shit, it worked.

If you don't mind disclosing, how much did this project cost? Ever since I married into homeowner status, I'm curious about this kind of thing.

Did you have to get any special permits for putting an additional structure on your property?
benadrian
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby kerble on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:31 pm

Evan Rowe!

Incredible post. Thanks so much. It got a ton of ideas going.
More please, if and when you can.

Cheers!

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby kerble on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Realized I didn't have photos, so I just took these. This is where we rehearse:
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby benadrian on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:48 pm

The tone is in the cat carrier.
benadrian
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:22 pm

Is that a case full of money, like the sort you might exchange a prisoner for?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion