home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Home Recording Blues(Tech Room Edition)

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Home Recording Blues(Tech Room Edition)

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:17 pm

TomWanderer wrote:
numberthirty wrote:
Verbs & Nouns wrote:Cheap mic for snare recording. We’re recording our own stuff in our practice room and finding the snare is getting lost. Currently we’re using the room supplied SM58’s on the bass and kick, and a Behringer copy of a SM58 centered and overhead the drums. Should we just buy another one of those (~$35) for the snare? Mics are going through a Behringer interface and into Logic.

Seem like there might be some folks who have been through the same sort of things that might have a "Purchase" or "This Use Of The Four Inputs For Drums And Bass" take that would help FM Verbs & Nouns out.

So...the bar is set pretty low if your current drum mic setup is an SM58 on kick and a copy of an SM58 as an overhead. You could try literally any other dynamics at your disposal to put on the snare. A cardioid pattern dynamic mic on a stand a bit in front of the snare and about a foot above pointed down at the center is a good place to start. I use a Sennheiser MD421, but you could try any cheapie used mic from your local music store or GC or pawnshop. Look for something with a cardioid pattern though for maximum snare/minimum hi hat bleed.

Thanks. I’ll have a look online. We don’t really have many used music stores that sell mics and stuff here, mainly guitars.

This is all a learning process for us. We’re not setting up a home studio or anything, just recording at rehearsals and if those recordings turn out half decent (to our ears), we’ll chuck them up online. Our last recording (on our Bandcamp) was literally two random mics at our old room, plugged into a PA and then into GarageBand as a single track using a RCA to USB converter. Having a USB interface and able to record the drums and bass as separate tracks is is a huge step up for us. It’s also giving something to spend our money from playing shows, especially seeing we probably won’t press any physical copies of our recordings any time soon.
Verbs & Nouns
grand
grand

Postby numberthirty on Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:40 pm

A couple of things I would think over here...

First, that it might make sense for a "Bass"/"Kick Drum" sort of microphone as opposed to another more "All Purpose" dynamic.

Second, this technique...

That might get you a bit more "Snare". Could be worth trying just to see.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Cool. Thanks. My only concern is getting too much bleed from my bass amp. The rooms we rehearse / record in are pretty small and there’s only so much we can do to separate the two instruments. They’re always going to be in the same room.

EDIT: After watching some of that video, I’ll definitely try some of those mic placements above the kick tonight.
Verbs & Nouns
grand
grand

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:09 am

If you have 4 inputs to play with, yeah, I would go with the traditional use of dynamics as close mics.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby night_tools on Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:11 pm

Update on the Lexicon situation - it arrived, in very nice condition and is basically idiot-proof.
The latest driver seems to work with Windows 10 after a bit of fiddling (restart in troubleshooting mode and de-activate the need for electronic signatures on drivers)
Easy to record in Reaper which I've never used before so I have a bunch of tutorial vids to watch, threads to read and experimenting to do.
Thanks for advice...!
You're a shit MD and I want my pizza money back.
night_tools
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby numberthirty on Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:12 am

night_tools wrote:Update on the Lexicon situation - it arrived, in very nice condition and is basically idiot-proof.
The latest driver seems to work with Windows 10 after a bit of fiddling (restart in troubleshooting mode and de-activate the need for electronic signatures on drivers)
Easy to record in Reaper which I've never used before so I have a bunch of tutorial vids to watch, threads to read and experimenting to do.
Thanks for advice...!

Just to point a couple of things out...

- "Right Click" is you buddy in the world of "Windows System" Reaper.

- If you find yourself in a jam, their forums is pretty helpful...

- https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
numberthirty

Postby TomWanderer on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:24 am

night_tools wrote:Update on the Lexicon situation - it arrived, in very nice condition and is basically idiot-proof.
Thanks for advice...!

Good to know and I appreciate that you're finding both the Lexicon and Reaper to be easy to get started on. I'm still looking at this setup eventually, I've still got a ton of tapes to use up so I'm not in a big hurry, but the limitations of my longtime setup are becoming evident.

All this stuff will be new for me as well and it is a little intimidating. Did you buy a subscription to Reaper or are you using a free/demo/stripped down version?
TomWanderer
tunnel
tunnel

Postby weezy on Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:44 am

TomWanderer wrote:Did you buy a subscription to Reaper or are you using a free/demo/stripped down version?

They don't charge a subscription, and fuck the companies that do this. The demo is not neutered, it's the full-feature program, you can pretty much use it for free forever until the end of time if you wanted. It's only $60 for a single user license, so once you use it for a while and if you like it, it's not that expensive. Therein lies why a lot of people use it.
weezy
life
life

Postby TomWanderer on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:04 pm

That's awesome. Thanks.
TomWanderer
tunnel
tunnel

Postby night_tools on Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:02 pm

yeah I'm still on the trial period but I plan to buy it after I get paid this month.
You're a shit MD and I want my pizza money back.
night_tools

Postby numberthirty on Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:44 pm

weezy wrote:
TomWanderer wrote:Did you buy a subscription to Reaper or are you using a free/demo/stripped down version?

They don't charge a subscription, and fuck the companies that do this. The demo is not neutered, it's the full-feature program, you can pretty much use it for free forever until the end of time if you wanted. It's only $60 for a single user license, so once you use it for a while and if you like it, it's not that expensive. Therein lies why a lot of people use it.

- Sixty bucks gets you every version from the "Current" version up through version "6.99".

Here's the info...

- https://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php

As for it as software, a friend of mine described it best when he said something along the lines of...

"With most recording software I've tried, I thought 'Why does this work this way?' With Reaper, I thought 'Why doesn't every recording software work this way?' "
numberthirty

Postby biscuitdough on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:39 pm

I would say the way Reaper handles takes had the opposite effect on me. I can't see why anyone would want it to be this terrible way.
biscuitdough

Postby Tommy on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:46 am

biscuitdough wrote:I would say the way Reaper handles takes had the opposite effect on me. I can't see why anyone would want it to be this terrible way.

In this camp too. I tried hard for a day, couldn't figure out basic shit and gave up. Might try again soon because I really hate having a useless computer on an ancient OS just so I can run an old version of Pro Tools on my Digi002. Being able to quickly transfer a session to my bandmate's Pro Tools setup is hella convenient though.
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby numberthirty on Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Tommy wrote:
biscuitdough wrote:I would say the way Reaper handles takes had the opposite effect on me. I can't see why anyone would want it to be this terrible way.

In this camp too. I tried hard for a day, couldn't figure out basic shit and gave up. Might try again soon because I really hate having a useless computer on an ancient OS just so I can run an old version of Pro Tools on my Digi002. Being able to quickly transfer a session to my bandmate's Pro Tools setup is hella convenient though.

"Basic Shit..." as in the whole "Takes" function or something else?
numberthirty

Postby Tommy on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:24 pm

numberthirty wrote:
Tommy wrote:

"Basic Shit..." as in the whole "Takes" function or something else?

It just occurred to me I probably also have/had a really old version of Reaper. Like probably from 2011. Biscan had it on an old Mac Mini I bought from him. I initially tried it because he couldn't remember if it still had a working version of Pro Tools on it. It was a steep learning curve just to get a session going with routing for the inputs and simple recording. I got frustrated and ultimately aborted when I found it actually still had Pro Tools on it. I came back to Reaper when people were saying there was an easy way to pitch shift without changing tempo. That time I figured out how to record but I didn't get the hang of the pitch shifting functionality, nor even simple editing like cropping, muting sections (not whole tracks), fades. So I abandoned again.
Last edited by Tommy on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby numberthirty on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:31 pm

Muting and fades aren't as daunting as it might seem.

As for that pitch/time shifting, I seem to recall a video if you give me a couple to look for it.

Seriously, give trying it out another shot.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:32 pm

Also, I'm always ready to help out on a Reaper issue I know of a "Fix" for.
numberthirty

Postby Tommy on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:34 pm

I just looked at a screen shot. What's even the record enable button for each track? The AR?
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby numberthirty on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:42 pm

Tommy wrote:I just looked at a screen shot. What's even the record enable button for each track? The AR?

Going by memory, the f7 button should arm a given track.

In addition, there should be a red button that looks like a standard "Record" button on the far left of each track's panel(just to the left of the "Dialog"-type box where you can enter the description of your track).
numberthirty

Previous

Return to Tech Room