home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

This wacky guitar - The "Effector"

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

What to do with this funky junk

Gut it and rewire properly
25%
Leave it and enjoy its freakishness
75%

Total votes : 4

This wacky guitar - The "Effector"

Postby Lonesome Bulldog on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:47 am

Got it for 50 bucks. Just stripped the whole neck. Can't decide if I want to strip the body too. The neck is an alright piece of maple but the body is a slab of assy plywood. (I have all the parts, it's just stripped in the pic for cleaning)

What I'm really trying to decide is what to do about the electronics. It's got built-in effects of the Crap variety, that take 2 9-volts.

Not only that but there is no faghina pickup selector!!! There's a phase button but that's it, and I can't tell if it's really working. The pups are separately wired to the circuitboard.

So should I gut it and wire it like a normal Explorer, or leave it as is for authentic purposes? I have yet to figure out whether it will run without batteries as it is, but when I put it back together I'll test that and report back.
Lonesome Bulldog
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Re: This wacky guitar - The "Effector"

Postby endofanera on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:11 am

I would totally install a pickup selector and then wire the output of that to the effects, and leave the wacky effects untouched. They could be awesome in some applications and the ones that arent can just be left turned off.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby blue_thunder on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:18 am

Maybe you could wire in a self destruct button.
blue_thunder
renegade cop
renegade cop

Postby Lonesome Bulldog on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:26 am

endofanera wrote:I would totally install a pickup selector and then wire the output of that to the effects, and leave the wacky effects untouched. They could be awesome in some applications and the ones that arent can just be left turned off.

Yeah...

there are two different inputs to the circuit though, one for each pup. I guess I could wire the pup selector to one of them, leave the other disconnected, and use the phase switch as a kill switch or something...
Lonesome Bulldog

Postby FuzzBob on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:44 am

Lonesome Bulldog wrote:
endofanera wrote:I would totally install a pickup selector and then wire the output of that to the effects, and leave the wacky effects untouched. They could be awesome in some applications and the ones that arent can just be left turned off.

Yeah...

there are two different inputs to the circuit though, one for each pup. I guess I could wire the pup selector to one of them, leave the other disconnected, and use the phase switch as a kill switch or something...

Weird. So both p'ups were meant to stay on the whole time?

I'd also suggest replacing the p'ups. Go for something passive, but brewtal; think DiMarzio X2N or Duncan Dimebucker. I've seen it done to ply-planks before, and heard the results-- pickups like that have such strong character that they become the guitar sound and mask any Damn Hell Ass Plywoodness. Might make the onboard distortion usable to boot.
FuzzBob

Postby Big John on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:51 am

There were a couple of versions of this type of guitar (with built in effects) one was a badged as "Synsonics" (a company that made a early 8bit drum machine with pads, that was quite popular.

I heard that they may have origionaly made the electronics used for the effects on this guitar for the company that put out "Fresher" guitars in the 1970's. These guitars I think were made by one of the better Japanese companies. The guitar player for James Brown and The Kings Men (Nolan) was a endorcer and used one he like the wah button. These were nicer guitars and may have had some additional external trim pots. Oh yea they had a rythm box in some of em too!

Some years later - the 1980's the Effector version came out. I These guitars looked to me like Court or Hondo budget models of the time.

One thing to look out for is that they might be using the leads from the lower pickup for the wah triggering and the upper for the distortion or whateaver. I saw one in a pawn shop and it was unplayable neck wise the effects sounded kind of weak but interesting enough. The shape was too much metal for me and I did not buy it.

Would be glad to hear more about your efforts on this guitar.
Big John

Postby Lonesome Bulldog on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Cool, thanks Big John. Yeah I had a Synsonics, it was the first guitar I owned and it had a built in speaker. If you hit the right note it would feed back and sustain forever, or as long as you held the string down.

I went through a napalm phase and burned the guitar in my driveway.
Lonesome Bulldog

Postby ubercat on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:53 pm

Send the electronics to a bender - have `em hack (and repair) the shit out of it. I see maybe 45 mini-switches on the front of that guitar...
ubercat

Postby strrygrrl on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:44 pm

I agree with circuit bending. Could end up with something very unique in the end.
There is alot of these effects built in guitars out there. Gretsch made a few of these that are sought after since it has analog effects.
It is often more of a feature of (very) cheap guitars. These days there are first act guitars with this feature. I have always been have tempted to buy one of the VW guitars just to mess with.
strrygrrl
cannon fodder
cannon fodder

Postby Marsupialized on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Big John wrote:Image

I would really do wonderful things with one of these
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Model Citizen on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:03 pm

I'd definitely keep the wierd effects in, it looks like a good find for the money.
Model Citizen
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby pwalshj on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:28 pm

Ahh, The Effector. There was one of these hanging in the shop I took lessons in as a lad. Even at 10 years old, I knew it was plywood crap but still felt I could get something interesting out of it. I say get the effects fixed and install new pup's with a three way toggle.

Good luck!

Edit: Whoa. This one actually looks really nice!

Brass hardtail, MM pups, nice finish. Only wack part seems to be the tuners.
"If you aren't offered a hot dog or a burger this week it ain't them... It's you." - Ray Chimaro - July 1st 2009
pwalshj
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby yaledelay on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:21 pm

I used to have a flying V one for a while, I sold it to a friend of mine I kind of miss it now, the only effect that was any good was the phaser...
yaledelay
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby FuzzBob on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:39 pm

yaledelay wrote:I used to have a flying V one for a while, I sold it to a friend of mine I kind of miss it now, the only effect that was any good was the phaser...

Could you do any crazy shit with the delay and speed knob?
FuzzBob

Postby yaledelay on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:37 pm

FuzzBob wrote:
yaledelay wrote:I used to have a flying V one for a while, I sold it to a friend of mine I kind of miss it now, the only effect that was any good was the phaser...

Could you do any crazy shit with the delay and speed knob?

You know it was a real long time ago, about 15 years, so I am not sure anymore, I know the delay didn't do anything but a slight slap back, like I said the only effect that was any good was the phaser...
yaledelay

Return to Tech Room