TOOL?

CRAP
53%
NOT CRAP
47%

Total votes : 214

Re: Band: TOOL

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:09 am

I can't believe this forum is tied on this.

Get a load of these fucking lyrics, kiddies:

Maynard James Keenan, in the lyrics to "Vicarious," wrote:Eye on the TV
'cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor it happens to be

Like:
"Killed by the husband" ...
"Drowned by the ocean" ...
"Shot by his own son" ...
"She used a poison in his tea,
Then (she) kissed him goodbye"
That's my kind of story
It's no fun til someone dies.

Don't look me at like I am a monster
Frown out your one face, but with the other (you)
Stare like a junkie into the TV
Stare like a zombie while the mother holds her child,
Watches him die,
Hands to the sky cryin "why, oh why?"

Cause I need to watch things die from a distance
Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies
You all need it too - don't lie.

Why can't we just admit it?
Why can't we just admit it?
We won't give pause until the blood is flowin'
Neither the brave nor bold
Nor brightest of stories told
We won't give pause until the blood is flowin'

I need to watch things die from a good safe distance
You all feel the same so why can't we just admit it?

Blood like rain fallin' down
Drum on grave and ground

Part vampire, part warrior,
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal.
Sing to the death rattle.

La, la, la, la, la, la, la-lie (x4)

Credulous at best
Your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men.
But pull your head on out (of) your hippie haze
And give a listen
Shouldn't have to say it all again

The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive
So it is, so it's always been ...

We all feed on tragedy.
It's like blood to a vampire.

Much better you than I.

Now I don't know about you, but I often know genuine bullshit when I read it, and that is Grade-A Prime BULLSHIT. These are some of the worst lyrics I've ever read in my life. It is honestly depressing to know that there are actually meathead mouth-breathers out there who think this "intellectual," sophomoric posturing has an ounce of intelligence within it, not to mention originality.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby muzorewi's daughter on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:27 am

Boring band, terrible fans.
muzorewi's daughter
took picture of naked guy

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:06 am

SecondEdition wrote:Now I don't know about you, but I often know genuine bullshit when I read it, .

exactly how I felt about your post.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby world of pee on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:15 am

this was great music as a teen.
i was no longer a teen when vicarious came out.
it has bad lyrics and an even worse video.
yeah i'm older but i think they also jumped the shark.
don't fear the ringo wrote:[Lenny Kravitz] got paid for this, you know. a lot. FUCK.
world of pee
back door man
back door man

Postby Ernest on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:04 pm

SecondEdition wrote:Now I don't know about you, but I often know genuine bullshit when I read it, and that is Grade-A Prime BULLSHIT. These are some of the worst lyrics I've ever read in my life. It is honestly depressing to know that there are actually meathead mouth-breathers out there who think this "intellectual," sophomoric posturing has an ounce of intelligence within it, not to mention originality.

To be fair, the both of us listen to good music with shitty lyrics (Helmet, right?), but this Tool song is genuinely good regardless of what's spouted. So long as it works in the context of the song.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:33 pm

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:Now I don't know about you, but I often know genuine bullshit when I read it, .

meh. fair enough.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:32 pm

SecondEdition wrote:
AnthonyVillalobos wrote:

meh. fair enough.

SecondEdition, you are right about those lyrics being pretty weak, but as Skronk says the song truly is good despite maynard's pretentious lyrics for their new record. Just forget 10,000 days altogether and listen to their first three albums. You might dig it.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby Red Square on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:32 pm

yeah, the first three are where it's at, the rest of it is garbage...
Aztec Black Box

jimmy two hands wrote:Sexy existential dread
Red Square
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby SkinFailure on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:24 pm

I like Tool although I must say that they jumped the shark after Aenima, both video and album wise. Lateralus has a few good songs but a lot more of it just goes way too far up its own ass for me to enjoy it on the level of Opiate/Undertow/Aenima.
steve wrote: Fuck foodie and the mani-pedi it rode in on.
SkinFailure
franklin from peanuts
franklin from peanuts

Postby iembalm on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:41 pm

Have never heard Opiate. Enjoy Undertow. Really like Aenima. Like some of Lateralus. Really like about 75% of 10,000 Days, the rest I skip over. Never seen them live. I have enjoyed most of the videos, but I'm predisposed because I also enjoy Joel-Peter Witkin and Jan Svankmajer. Not Crap for Tool.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:17 pm

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:
AnthonyVillalobos wrote:

meh. fair enough.

SecondEdition, you are right about those lyrics being pretty weak, but as Skronk says the song truly is good despite maynard's pretentious lyrics for their new record. Just forget 10,000 days altogether and listen to their first three albums. You might dig it.

I have Aenima on my laptop. Great production for modern metal, cool guitar sounds (the intro to "Stinkfist" is total sludge; it's easily the best moment of the song), good playing from a technical level. And I think that the link tracks actually work a fair amount of the time (especially the oddly creepy circus organ segue and the four minute music concrete piece near the end). But I just get bored with a lot of the songs. The actual riffs themselves don't often do very much for me. "Pushit," "Jimmy," "Third Eye" - the songs don't really go anywhere. And who told them they had the right to sample Bill Hicks, who was far more talented and insightful than any of them are? Also, for me, the lyrics are a continual problem with this band.

Granted, I always give albums chances, unless they're so thoroughly offensive to my sensibilities that I just automatically know I won't be able to stand them. So I will probably listen to Aenima again, though I am pretty sure it's just not really my cup of tea.

And that was a good point about Helmet, Skronk. "Ash cow fertilized?" Jesus. Even Maynard had something that could be considered a point (even if it's a belabored, obvious, completely overworked point).

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby Speedie on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:33 pm

Aenema and 10,000 days are not crap. the rest of their output I cannot get into. "Vicarious" and "Stinkfist" are especially cool.
Saw them close the Big Day Out a couple of years ago, and they made a very good noise.
Trey wrote:How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose.

https://thegreenwhistle.bandcamp.com/releases
Speedie
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby sawtooth on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:07 pm

SecondEdition wrote: And who told them they had the right to sample Bill Hicks, who was far more talented and insightful than any of them are?

i think they were pals with hicks. maynard seems connected in the comedy world (seriously)
the three-lobed burning eye
sawtooth

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:35 pm

sawtooth wrote:
SecondEdition wrote: And who told them they had the right to sample Bill Hicks, who was far more talented and insightful than any of them are?

i think they were pals with hicks. maynard seems connected in the comedy world (seriously)

Ah. I just thought they were fans of his...

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Re:

Postby TonyHeard on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Adam CR wrote:Absolute cock.

The whole 'complex music' thing is nonsense perpetuated by people who clearly don't know anything about the technical side of music; yes they sometimes play in odd time signatures, but it's consistently clear that this is done in an entirely contrived way rather than because the melodic/harmonic content dictates/demands it.

They sound like a band who count as they play.

Purest COCK.

Chino Moreno once said in an interview that they do music in a very calculated way. He said that they have chalkboards up with time signatures on them. Maynard came in studio when they were recording White Pony and asked why deftones didn't do more songs in a weird time signature, like 7/8 time ( this is supposedly verbatim).. This led to his cameo on their song Passenger.

Just wanted to drop this tidbit.

CRAP. Good riffy songs , but it seems like they intentionally sabotage themselves with long instrumental shit. Their shtick gets old and it really is a band for people who haven't listened to a lot of bands. .
TonyHeard
homestar
homestar

Re:

Postby Ernest on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:40 pm

ironyengine wrote:I like this band Tool more than most bands that I like a good deal. I think what they do, they do tremendously well and rather evocatively. I also think they have progressed considerably from their early incarnation, particularly after parting with their original bassist.

Their guitarist does all their videos, which may just be a Brothers Quay homage but still work considerably well.

Their drummer teamed up with Dale Crover on the third of the Melvins "trilogy" records to deliver a few minutes of mind-bending drum attack that I defy anyone not to at least give a nod to.

Their singer, pretentious and formulaic though he may be, also has a great voice and screams better than anyone I've heard since Roger Daltrey.

Their bassist clearly does a lot of drugs. I like a good, drugged-out bassist.

If the music moves you, you understand why I like this band. If it does not, you probably think I am some nu-metal fuckball for wearing their shirts. I don't care. I vote them not crap.

What a great post.

I think Tool's rabid fans ruined what otherwise is not an imposing band, regardless of Maynard's preteniousness, or sense of humor that might get them (more) notoriety. It feels like had they not signed on to Zoo music/Volcano, or done those major festivals, this band would get a lot more respect. I see them fitting comfortably on an indie, oddly enough.

Danny Carey's drumming is always pleasure to hear, and essentially makes Tool's music. The least important member is Adam Jones, I think. Everyone in the band has something valuable to offer, from a musician's standpoint, ignoring the lyrics. Maynard's voice is great.

One of the reasons I still like, and listen to Tool is because of the pervasiveness of their sense of humor in their songs. Using the fibonacci sequence to sing lyrics, an obvious allusion to an enema in your album title, referencing silly conspiracy theories, using Art Bell samples, writing circus music that uses the melody to the song right after, etc. A million little in jokes along with four guys giving it their all.

Much of my childhood is still sort of linked to their albums, having played them so much over the years, through everything, but even with that aside, these songs, to me, still stand the test of time, for whatever reason.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Ptommydski on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:41 pm

The singer dude was in a band before Tool called Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty.

You have to check this out. Endure until the bass solo please.
Ptommydski

Postby sulfur)addict on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Ptommydski wrote:The singer dude was in a band before Tool called Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty.

You have to check this out. Endure until the bass solo please.

Holy bejeezus is that hilarious. That's worse than Reznor's disco-new wave band before Nine Inch Nails.

PROS:
-Creative as hell bass work. Awesome grooves than are hard to deny.
-Intricate drum work, definitely one of a kind in Danny Carey.
-A metal band with a clean singer. Not just that, but an amazing range and awesome yell when needed.
-The lack of marketing. I like how I don't have to see the band everywhere and yet they've still gone platinum. Much respect for keeping their privacy and aesthetic to themselves.
-Aenima's guitar tones. Very Melvinsy and sludgey, nice balance of noise and gaze tones, but with enough metal to it that there's bite.
-Nice sense of humor. That one where Maynard disses on teenagers saying he "sold out" is brilliant. As are those "Message To Harry ManBack" songs.
-Cool, offbeat videos. Some get too science fictiony, but at least the early ones weren't predictable.

CONS:
-Fucking pseudo-intellectual bullshit. Really tries to be as 'brilliant' as possible without saying anything. Maynard's voice is fine enough that even dumb lyrics don't wreck the songs, but his attitude and all that "We must break the cycle of abuse" and then using the words "blood, shit, and cum" as lyrics, in that order - yuck.
-The fans. Oh, the fans. Awful people taking Maynard's lyrics as a Bible. A million "meanings" in simple songs. Just the most pretentious, stuck-up, "we're different cause we listen to a platinum selling band" people. The really oughta get over themselves, listen to the Melvins, and maybe read someone who really represents whatever they feel is the "truth". Is Sylvia Plath really that unheard of by today's teenagers that a sex-obsessed, bald, faux-messiah is considered literate and edgy? Granted, I'm guilty of near-worship to Richey James' lyrics on The Holy Bible, but hell, at least those have a point and a perspective.
-Adam Jones' guitar work. Too simple. Predictable power chord changes that go nowhere and do nothing. And for every ethereal guitar line or awesome tone (almost exclusively pre-Lateralus), there's a talk box solo or three minutes of scratching or a bad, bad, repulsive 'jam' progression. He's clearly done everything in his power already.

In the end, I suppose the pros are more than the cons. I really, really like Aenima, and Maynard carries his end of angst for Undertow. Too bad Lateralus is the most pretentious lyrics fused with the worst Led Zeppelin miming "epicness" I've ever heard. Hate that album, minus a few awesome passages by the rhythm section. 10,000 Days was good enough for "The Pot" and Maynard's vulnerability (which I'm taking as sincere) on the two-part title track. The rest can fuck off. So, that's just enough good music for me to say Not Crap.

Wow, I broke the tie. Intense.
Last edited by sulfur)addict on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby caset on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:41 pm

I dont have a Tool story.
I fell for a lot of bullshit when I was younger, but even then I couldnt give half a fuck about this band. On the other hand, I have many a friend with otherwise solid taste in music who admit to appreciating them.
Nevertheless, if'n theres something Im missing, I aint trying to find it.

(happy my crap vote can tie it back up.)
caset
the white ho
the white ho

Postby gjp on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:53 pm

Tie-breaker.

Tool sucks.

Crap.
gjp

PreviousNext