TOOL?

CRAP
53%
NOT CRAP
47%

Total votes : 214

Re: Band: TOOL

Postby m3kcomp on Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:24 pm

I hated Tool with a passion in high school...mostly because a lot of shitheads were into them.

I saw them play before Devo at Lollapalooza in '96 or '97...we were there for Devo only, Tool's audience really sucked, and my friends and I didn't pay attention to their set. When Tool finished playing I would say 95% (maybe more) of the people started heading out, many while chanting that "Devo sucks." Maynard came back onstage and told HIS audience, in no uncertain terms, what a bunch of fools they were. I later found out he had named his son Devo. It kind of framed things a little differently in my mind.

The vast majority of the hatred for this band has absolutely nothing to do with the band itself.

It may not be saying much, but they're the only listenable band from that clusterfuck metal mishmash that started in the early nineties and ended somewhere in the aughts.
m3kcomp
evita
evita

Postby LizardPod on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:56 pm

I gotta agree, the main Tool audience are a bunch of shitheads that always have a stick up their ass when discussing anything but Tool. And what kind of brain dead fucks would think Devo sucks?
LizardPod
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby jacobwilliam on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:29 pm

Without the vocals I may be alright with this band. Not the most offensive nu-metal shit I've heard. Stories I've heard about them suggests that band is composed of douche bags.
jacobwilliam
star
star

Postby Chromodynamic on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:29 pm

Why do people refer to Tool as nu-metal?
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby LizardPod on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:28 pm

Probably because their contemporaries were nu-metal, so why not? Lots of bands in the 90's were no where near grunge, but still classified as such because their contemporaries were grunge.
LizardPod
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:22 am

Such classification always rely on lots and lots of things so in the end it's almost completely subjective, but Tool being nu-metal makes little sense to me, too. Like, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Insane Clown Posse and Tool? Something is wrong with this picture.

I saw some of their live footage on youtube, I'd totally go and see this band (I mean, if I was given a ticket), even If I have no interest in listening to their albums these days.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby rawketlawnchair on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:35 am

More fitting than calling them plain ol' "metal" honestly. Might as well call em punk, not much more far off.
rawketlawnchair
judge
judge

Postby jakethesnake on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:50 am

Tool are "heavy alternative" or "progressive post-grunge". Seriously, I don't know what to call them but I agree that nu-metal is a bad term for them but they sure as hell ain't metal either.

Anyway, Crap
jakethesnake
crate
crate

Postby J_Temperance on Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:02 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:Tool are way too wired into my early high school years to vote against them. I think a lot of people used them as a springboard, not so much as a gateway band (I don't know anyone who picked up a King Crimson record because of Tool), but as an easy way of spotting other people who were crazy obsessed with music and often times taking drugs. It varied wildly - some were geared towards Mastodon and Black Sabbath, others System of a Down and Incubus, and then there was that sad group of Breaking Benjamin fans. For me personally, I know my first band was aping Tool and Hurt and Sabbath and White Zombie for all that we were worth, which wasn't much. But it was still there, and we were still bringing ideas to the table, instead of clunking away with bad metalcore, which had become the norm among our friends. Tool were a good band for ideas, even if they were really bad/dorky/pretentious ones.

I don't listen to them at all anymore, but I think I could turn on "Stinkfist" and not feel embarrassed for once being really into them. There's a couple of solid songs like that in the pre-Lateralus years.

Still NC.

I can't possibly vote "NOT CRAP" on Tool for precisely this reason, I hate to say it now but they are an important band in my musical development, believe it or not but they were the first band I actively listened to that had some dynamics in their music, yes, I came of age during the whole "nu-metal revolution"...

Hey you can't fault me for my ex-Tool fandom, it's just like kids in the 70's being into Kiss and/or Rush, at least our version of Kiss had like polyrhythms and lyrics about the Fibonacci sequence and lasers or whatever...bitches.
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby J_Temperance on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:23 pm

Chromodynamic wrote:Why do people refer to Tool as nu-metal?

I don't think the comparison is too far off the mark. Sure, they aren't nu-metal per se, but they have that whole vaguely funky, vaguely industrial thing that nu-metal had going on...lot's of single chord staccato riffs, even if they're in 7/3 time or whatever. They were a big precursor to nu-metal, is what I'm saying...kinda like Helmet and Godflesh were, too, as much as I'm loath to admit. I don't think it's an accident that many nu-metal people used to "graduate" into listening to Tool...

Out of this band's albums I'd say that "Lateralus" still holds up as a great record, "Undertow" is just some OK grungey metal, they started with their whole "psychedelic tribal metal" thing with "Aenima" (hmm I wonder if hearing some Neurosis albums might've had something to do with that) but ""Lateralus" is where they perfected their whole jiggy, great production, harmonies, etc on that one, not even Maynard's "poetry" can hurt it. "10,000 Days" had even better production (Lustmord!) and musicianship going on but most of the songs were too drawn out and boring. Tool may be a grievously overrated band but that doesn't mean that all their stuff is crap, they just aren't the be-all and end-all of music like their fans annoyingly say.
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby better on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:01 pm

A lot of Tool fans like Phil Collins & Genesis.

Take from that what you will.
better
utility man
utility man

Postby Ike on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:11 am

Tool is not crap! They have more flaws-per-band than nearly any group, yet I can't quit 'em.

Problematic.

Just listened to the whole discography for the first time in a long time (streaming now).

"The Grudge" is their best song, followed by "Jambi" and "Aenima".

I listened to all the Tool songs and now I want to fight my stepdad on his day off. Fuck, I spaced out Mathletes practice Tuesday, FUCK.

Maynard's lyrics are brutally bad at times, but you know what? Now and then he comes through with a winner. "Parabola" has pretty okay lyrics.

"Prison Sex" is their worst song.

When they do WiErDo StUfF on their albums it always falls flat. Stick to the riffs, you fucking meatheads!

I want a mix of these albums with every hi hat hit taken out.

Maynard sings really well. Reminds me of Faiz sometimes, for real. Or vice versa.

I feel like I need to do pushups now.

I've never seen Tool. I really want to see them live.

This is the worst name for a band, Tool. So dumb.

I love this band. What can you do. It is what it is, says my man Max Holloway!

This is the soundtrack to MMA.

New album Aug. 30th. Can't wait to hear people get a hot take in on this dead pony!

Ike
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:26 am

Ike wrote:This is the soundtrack to MMA.

Never thought of it that way, and not sure it's bang accurate, but definitely the two most tedious fanbases - Venn diagram probably overlaps in a Joe fucking Rogan segment.

Alright band though. Listenable and the drumming tends to be decent to these ears.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby zircona1 on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:52 pm

I never got into them. Even back in the 90's when MTV was playing the videos for Sober* and Prison Sex, I was never a fan. I get why people like them, though.

*The line "Jesus blows his fucking whistle" makes me laugh.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
bill bradley
bill bradley

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:25 pm

Oh man. I liked Tool for a good year and a half. Wound up seeing them on one of the Lateralus tours. I was in the balcony. Good luck paying attention to the band with all the jerks in the pit. They had lasers. I liked their back catalog a bit less. This was around the time King Crimson was acting up again and I was learning their stuff. I was kind of in an early-mid Pink Floyd, heavy psych-proggy mood.

This all dried up my first year in college. I met soooo many Tool kids that year. It was either Tool or this new nerdy thing called Emo that these eight kids walked around campus being pricks about. To be fair, half of them (the Tool kids) were sweethearts who also had little music alternatives in high school. A lot of them worshiped NIN. I could only ever laugh at how seriously everyone took NIN. (I did think Pretty Hate Machine was trashy fun.)

Anyway, I haven't felt compelled to listen to them since. I have always loved, loved claymation. That was the chink in my armor.
VaticanShotglass
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby the_joe_lemur on Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:58 pm

I like them. And I know people who like or love them but I've never in my life encountered one of these archetypal "Tool Fans" that people keep talking about, not in real life or on the internet. Where are you meeting these people?
The FM formerly known as lemur68

sulfur)addict wrote:Jordan Peterson is the Limp Bizkit of educated thought.
the_joe_lemur
twain
twain

Postby Ike on Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:48 pm

the_joe_lemur wrote:Where are you meeting these people?

At the GYM, BRO!
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby the_joe_lemur on Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:50 pm

Ike wrote:
the_joe_lemur wrote:Where are you meeting these people?

At the GYM, BRO!

well that would explain why I don't see them
The FM formerly known as lemur68

sulfur)addict wrote:Jordan Peterson is the Limp Bizkit of educated thought.
the_joe_lemur
twain
twain

Postby ErikG on Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:10 pm

Crap!
ErikG
franklin ajaye
franklin ajaye

Postby i'm not beck on Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:37 am

Good rhythm section. Decent hard rock band I reckon.
i'm not beck
pod
pod

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap