TOOL?

CRAP
53%
NOT CRAP
47%

Total votes : 214

Re: Band: TOOL

Postby bishopdante on Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:49 am

A studio owner took me on some comps to see this post-tool thing called "a perfect circle", at wembley arena.

dis "maynard" gzr had a large bed sheet strung off a bit of truss, the vocalist himself was somewhere behind with a stage light, casting a posey shadow, producing a flat and featureless visual spectacle as he warbled over session-school stock metal riffs, and all we saw for the whole show was this silhouette projected on a featureless white square, with this ponderous and morose "dream theater with depression" noise, which rattled around the concrete stadium.

It was one of those shows that made me think "what's it all for? Why are we here? For goodness sakes look at all of this... stuff! Why bother? This is pointless. What are all these people doing just standing in a patch dealing with histrionic thump. Ridiculous."

I can guarantee you nobody got laid. Not even the band.
Last edited by bishopdante on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Code: Select all
01100011 01101111 01101110 01100111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01110101 01101100 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 01110011
bishopdante
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby dead mariachi on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:40 pm

sorry to hear that bishopd.. yeeeah /insert office guy meme here/ if great bands from the 90s can stfu now thatd be great thx.

people age, and unfortunately for us, sometimes dont actually grow very much as people.

i liked tool well enough in my adolescence. never in my life bought / went out of my way to hear them though.
dead mariachi
busher
busher

Postby m3kcomp on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:35 pm

In spite of it all, I'll pick up the new album when it comes out. And there't a lot to spite.

Yet, one of the two new songs they've been playing sounds pretty good...and darn it if some of that other stuff they've released isn't just decent catchy rock musique.

I'm not trying to bat 1000...sometimes the ears want what the ears want.
m3kcomp
sweeny todd
sweeny todd

Postby Get dog costumes on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Even with all the competition from the true prog realm, I can't think of another band so loaded with my kind of chops, riffs, production, and originality, that has such little effect on me. I have never once made it through a whole album.

I might've been a fan if their medium was 3-5 minute not-too-ambitious rock songs. "Sober" is easily my favorite thing they've done.

The problem with the long tracks may be that the band's bad at writing transitions. What I think they intend as suspenseful, sounds totally limp and squanders whatever energy was built in its preceding section.

Feel like I wrote this somewhere else, but I love that video of them playing "Sober" at some festival in the early days. Danny Carey's back there behind his monster kit, and Adam Jones and Maynard are doing their respective serious / serious and intense guy things up front. Meanwhile Paul d'Amour is wearing a t shirt and cargo shorts, has his hair dyed blonde, and is happily bouncing around the stage playing that rad chunky bassline. I haven't a clue what those guys are actually like, but I wonder if he was actually the chill/unpretentious element in the music. Come to think of it, I enjoy that Lusk album he did with Laner/Pitman/Edwards far, far beyond any of Tool's music, even though if you described each of those bands to me in general terms I'm sure I'd guess I'd like Tool better. C
cneutron wrote:I (correctly) pointed out
Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby M.H on Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:34 pm

I like them; a little dumb at times, but the excellent rhythm section and vocals generally keep me listening.

Agree that the chiming Rickenbacker bass on Undertow is pretty nifty. I know deep down that their early stuff is dogshit, but the horrific, gothic-tinged, 90s flavoured man-theatrics funkrokk ticks so many boxes for me that I still dig it anyway.

Adam Jones is the weak link. I thought the approach he took on Aenima (a 90s hard rock response to the cooler, textured approach of 80s post-punk / goth) had a lot of potential, but he moved to a more repetitive and rhythmic technique on Lateralus (which was pretty great) that became sorta… dull, I guess, by 10,000 Days (the first album where they refined their approach rather than developing into a new style of Toolmusic).

Easy N.C overall, though.

I’ll check out the new record, but 10,000 Days was so boring that my expectations are low.
I can’t imagine that it’ll be worse than A Perfect Circle, who are total CRAP.
M.H
kofi annan
kofi annan

Postby VaticanShotglass on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:14 pm

Get dog costumes wrote:The problem with the long tracks may be that the band's bad at writing transitions.
VaticanShotglass
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby sulfur)addict on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:43 pm

Could not imagine listening to Lateralus in 2019, that is some bloated Led Zeppelin bullshit. It's one thing to be pseudo-intellectual - this is an "alt metal" band afterall - but good god the seriousness of it all. What the fuck.

I'll listen to the new one outta teenage nostalgia/curiosity, but we'll be lucky if it's as "oh that could be worse" as that recent At The Drive-In album. Hopefully Maynard's voice has held up.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Ike on Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:13 am

New single released at 8 AM.

I hit play at 8:00:15.

New single is not good and sounds super weird!

Still stoked to hear the entire album.
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby andyman on Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:56 am

Ike wrote:New single released at 8 AM.

I hit play at 8:00:15.

New single is not good and sounds super weird!

Still stoked to hear the entire album.

Sounds like the previous couple of albums to me. I'm not really into it, nor any of their other stuff anymore. But, I admit that their style probably became part of my DNA as a teenager, and it's likely that I like odd drum signatures and sludgey guitars so much because of them.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Podge9 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:21 am

New single sounds like a mashup of offcuts from the last 2 albums. The bass and drums in the opening all sound extremely familiar.

All feels a little auto pilot. Hope the album has some more depth to reflect that it's taken 13 years to make the thing!
Podge9
roman
roman

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:49 am

Yeah, imagine waiting thirteen years for that. Some comedown. Sounds like something Dadabots would churn out.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby MRoyce on Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:37 am

New song sounds like they've become a jam band. Wouldn't that be a nice triple bill:
Umphrey's Mcgee
Phish
Tool
MRoyce
robert motherwell
robert motherwell

Re:

Postby jimmy two hands on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:18 am

Mayfair wrote:My short Tool story (get it?)...

My old band got to play and travel as part of the Lollapalooza side stage a few years ago (actually 10 years ago...jeez) and our slot was the slot right before Tool's slot which was pretty fitting as we played mostly quiet jazzy children's music at the time. Doh! Anyway, every day we would show up at noon and the Tool crew was already there (not Tool, their crew) and they were busy changing all the drum heads on all the drums and another guy was changing all the bass strings on all the four basses (the bass he USED, the backup bass, the backup's backup bass, and last but not least the ol' 'Billy Baroo' bass just in case). They did this every single day. I assume there was a guitar tech changing all the guitarists' strings but he must have set up his shop in their bus or something. Anyway, we asked the bass tech if we could have the old sets of strings (as they were only one day old and most of them were not even played upon) so he was nice enough to NOT cut the strings off but rather unravel them and gave us a big box of full sets. I still use those strings to this day and the box is not even half empty. Ah, the spoils of sponsorships!

True story.

I went to the Detroit Lollapalooza that year - were you in the Coctails? I seem to remember them playing right before Tool and I seem to remember enjoying them more than Tool.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Justin Foley on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:54 pm

Mayfair was in the Coctails and he was a great poster on this board.

Tool defines the phrase "a chore to listen to."

= Justin
Justin Foley

Postby tallchris on Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:00 pm

I was just telling my bandmates about the bass string story the other day. Forgot that it was FOUR basses worth of strings every day--I remembered it only being two basses!
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Tommy on Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:36 pm

Ike wrote:"Prison Sex" is their worst song.

Majorly disagree. We can at least agree that they are best at their dumbest. Stick to the riffs. I personally think PS is their best riff. Super fun to play it too. Lyrics, uhhh, hm, that's a different story. But I often don't put as much stock in lyrics as other people. One of the reasons I've mainly played in instrumental bands most of my life.

I got on board the Tool train as a result of seeing them open for Rollins Band in '92. They killed. I immediately went out and bought their only release at the time, Opiate, which I liked. Pretty sure I bought Undertow on the Tuesday it was released. Wow, even better. Then I bought Aenima when it came out and I thought it was okay but I was less enthused. I was so over them by the time that Lateralus came out that I found the music pretty insufferable. I've tried to give those post Aetna records a chance and I just can't do it. Prog art metal is not my thing. I'd probably be okay if Undertow and Opiate were their only releases.

Bring back the riffs. Dumb that shit down.
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Christopher on Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:45 pm

Like a pair of cargo pants and a Ron Paul bumper sticker started a band and decided to do their version of Dark Side of the Rainbow, but with Pi instead of The Wizard of Oz.

Or something.
I guitar Conformists.
Christopher
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby placeholder on Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:02 pm

This is dead on.

Christopher wrote:Like a pair of cargo pants and a Ron Paul bumper sticker started a band and decided to do their version of Dark Side of the Rainbow, but with Pi instead of The Wizard of Oz.

Also, Queensrÿche for incels.
placeholder

Postby VaticanShotglass on Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:34 pm

Christopher wrote:Like a pair of cargo pants and a Ron Paul bumper sticker started a band and decided to do their version of Dark Side of the Rainbow, but with Pi instead of The Wizard of Oz.

Or something.

This is good.

Angus Jung wrote:Image

This is also good. Pretty damned good.
VaticanShotglass

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap