TOOL?

CRAP
53%
NOT CRAP
47%

Total votes : 214

Re: Band: TOOL

Postby Dug-do-all-animals on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:55 am

58 not crap...I thought this board had good taste.
Breezed
Dug-do-all-animals
les paul
les paul

Postby sawtooth on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:52 am

"sober" is a top-notch 90s rock single. very effective conveyance of that hopeless "fuck it" type of feeling. aenima was a really good album. not crap
the three-lobed burning eye
sawtooth
took picture of naked guy

Postby Grauspin on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:58 am

There's a few things on Aenima that I like. I used to really like that song 'Hooker w/ a Penis.'
Hated Lateralus.
The art in Undertow was truly bizarre. Really weird that they printed a picture only to cover it up w/ the CD tray.
Grauspin
duke ellington
duke ellington

Postby megathor on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:11 pm

Not crap is winning? Seriously? Really?
I work with a dude whose 3 favorite bands are Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera, and Tool.
I think that about says it all.

CRAP.
megathor
crate
crate

Postby punch_the_lion on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:13 pm

I thought the track they did with the Melvins off Crybaby was okay, otherwise I'm indifferent.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby sawtooth on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:13 pm

megathor wrote:Not crap is winning? Seriously? Really?
I work with a dude whose 3 favorite bands are Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera, and Tool.

CRAP.

not that i wish to contradict the ghost of tracy pew but let me be the first to argue that pantera is NOT CRAP. avenged sevenfold is just unfortunate. just a goddamn shame.
sawtooth

Postby lemur68 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:36 am

Grauspin wrote:There's a few things on Aenima that I like. I used to really like that song 'Hooker w/ a Penis.'
Hated Lateralus.
The art in Undertow was truly bizarre. Really weird that they printed a picture only to cover it up w/ the CD tray.

That's what they call an "easter egg"! I owned that CD for like a year before a friend of mine was all "yeah there's a picture of a cow licking its own ass under there."

Yeah I own Undertow. Suck my Maynard.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby BClark on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:17 am

sawtooth wrote:
megathor wrote:Not crap is winning? Seriously? Really?

CRAP.

not that i wish to contradict the ghost of tracy pew but let me be the first to argue that pantera is NOT CRAP. avenged sevenfold is just unfortunate. just a goddamn shame.

i will be the second. pantera is really not crap.
(neither is tool, really)

who is tracy pew? some dude who doesn't like pantera? psh.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Our song Poison has a video.
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby sawtooth on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:53 pm

BClark wrote:who is tracy pew? some dude who doesn't like pantera? psh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvlS4BwTUQw
if this doesnt work because i suck at computers go to youtube and type "birthday party junkyard" into the search function. the bass player who looks like a registered sex offender with edwardian ruffles, a moustache and a cowboy hat staring straight into the camera and gyrating his hips in a hypnotically disturbing manner: THATS tracy pew, rock god. dudes avatar with the cowboy hat reminded me of him.
poor tracy did not live long enough to have an opinion on pantera but he probably wouldve thought they were pussies.
sawtooth

Postby megathor on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:30 pm

I don't feel strongly enough about Pantera to argue whether they are crap are not. I was just pointing out that Tool enjoys ardent support from many members of the douche metal community.

sawtooth wrote:
BClark wrote:poor tracy did not live long enough to have an opinion on pantera but he probably wouldve thought they were pussies.

This is probably true.

Although a Tracy Pew avatar would be sweet, my current one is Randy from Trailer Park Boys.
megathor
crate
crate

Postby FuzzBob on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:33 pm

Pantera's easy to enjoy ironically, so they're not crap. It's big, retarded bonehead rock, but they seemed to really put themselves into it, so I can sincerely enjoy it on at least that primal level. Kinda like Complete.

Tool? Can't stand them. Way too self-serious and into themselves, and way too entrenched in the '90s douche-metal scene. What's odd is I really like some Isis stuff, which isn't that far removed.
FuzzBob
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Gramsci on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:06 pm

FuzzBob wrote:Pantera's easy to enjoy ironically, so they're not crap. It's big, retarded bonehead rock, but they seemed to really put themselves into it, so I can sincerely enjoy it on at least that primal level. Kinda like Complete.

Tool? Can't stand them. Way too self-serious and into themselves, and way too entrenched in the '90s douche-metal scene. What's odd is I really like some Isis stuff, which isn't that far removed.

Far Beyond Driven is actually pretty good...

There I said it.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Bernardo on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:09 am

I think there is a big case to be made for Pantera, if you like metal, anyway.

Tool, not so much. I have enjoyed some of their music, but the fun is largely overcome by the countless annoying / unintentionally silly factors.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Jnelson on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:31 am

From this thread I have been watching many Tool videos of live performances as well as music videos and still find them just dull. If I'm missing some important piece of evidence that may make me think they are good, please inform. Until than, they are complete crap in my book.
Jnelson
secretary of the interior
secretary of the interior

Postby Ben Abraham on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:32 pm

Before I got into punk rock, Tool was somewhat of a salvation from the likes Limp Bizkit and Korn when I was in high school....having said that, they've gone downhill since Lateralus and 10,000 days sounds very ordinary. I'd give them a not crap for their older stuff.
Last edited by Ben Abraham on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Abraham
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Ernest on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:43 am

FuzzBob wrote:Tool? Can't stand them. Way too self-serious and into themselves, and way too entrenched in the '90s douche-metal scene. What's odd is I really like some Isis stuff, which isn't that far removed.

I never really got this feeling with Tool. I mean the self-importance, or seriousness. I think there's a lot of dry humor involved, maybe more so than most mainstream bands. They've developed an image, or at least their fans have, that portray them as some dark, wounded, introspective musicians, but a lot of their songs, and interviews, they love to take the piss with people.

One of the funniest things I think they've done is on Aenima. Before one of the later tracks on the album, "Jimmy", they have a quick one minute track that introduces the melody from that later song, but it's played on an organ as if it were at the circus.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:03 pm

Skronk wrote:
FuzzBob wrote:Tool? Can't stand them. Way too self-serious and into themselves, and way too entrenched in the '90s douche-metal scene. What's odd is I really like some Isis stuff, which isn't that far removed.

I never really got this feeling with Tool. I mean the self-importance, or seriousness. I think there's a lot of dry humor involved, maybe more so than most mainstream bands. They've developed an image, or at least their fans have, that portray them as some dark, wounded, introspective musicians, but a lot of their songs, and interviews, they love to take the piss with people.

One of the funniest things I think they've done is on Aenima. Before one of the later tracks on the album, "Jimmy", they have a quick one minute track that introduces the melody from that later song, but it's played on an organ as if it were at the circus.

ahhh yes. the Intermission. The opening riff for Jimmy is nice as hell.

For anyone not sure where to start with Tool or want to hear what makes them a great band should snag copies of Lateralus or Aenima.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby lucy on Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:02 pm

Ænima and Lateralus are good albums.
lucy

Postby Ben Abraham on Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:39 pm

Many Tool fans are basically well....(say it with me)...tools. Case in point this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZUSLyE9tfw
Ben Abraham

Postby aen on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:36 am

I really thought this would be like 80-20 C/NC.

Anyway, I think tool is fucking great, but I would avoid just about any band that noted them as an influence on their myspace, unless they were like, acoustic or trip-hop or somehting.
aen
airliner
airliner

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap