CRAP
11%
NOT CRAP
89%

Total votes : 411

Re: Band: Melvins

Postby oZZma on Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:59 pm

M.H wrote:
They did the heavy punk thing well ahead of schedule, then proceeded to push the boundaries of rock music on their first run of indie releases. The number of sub-genres that were influenced by a Melvins record (or even just a single song) is nuts. They’re innovators on the scale of Black Flag, IMO.

Grunge, drone, doom, sludge, grind (Ozma’s song structures are a big influence on the more musically able bands like Brutal Truth and Pig Destroyer), noise rock… Buzz and Dale are the ground zero for so much music.

Indisputable truth.
vade retro Santana
oZZma
frugal gourmet
frugal gourmet

Postby AnthonyCinder on Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:50 pm

M.H wrote: I understand that you’re joining in with some pile-on here to feel like you belong to a group of like-minded people. But come the fuck on.

Wait, whaaaa? If someone here wanted to feel a sense of belonging with a group of like minders, they'd be worhipping the Melvins.

I agree with the assessment of the band as innovators, but dissenting opinions on that are perfectly acceptable and I strongly doubt they are voiced as part of some effort to fit in.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby M.H on Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:36 pm

AnthonyCinder wrote:
M.H wrote: I understand that you’re joining in with some pile-on here to feel like you belong to a group of like-minded people. But come the fuck on.

Wait, whaaaa? If someone here wanted to feel a sense of belonging with a group of like minders, they'd be worhipping the Melvins.

I agree with the assessment of the band as innovators, but dissenting opinions on that are perfectly acceptable and I strongly doubt they are voiced as part of some effort to fit in.

People can think what they like about the band's music and Buzz's opinions, but it's fucking

D
U
M
B

to pretend that the third tier little brother bands who owe their entire musical vocabulary to the Melvins (like gHs or Karp or whatever) are making better music.

It's like choosing Kingdom Come over Led Zep, f'fucks sake.
M.H
boutros boutros-ghali
boutros boutros-ghali

Postby NewDarkAge on Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:41 pm

KARP are better than the Melvins.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge

Postby 154 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:44 pm

It's totally possible to influence/exist before other stuff and be on par with it, or sometimes not even as good as.

I mean are you a little dumber than your parents?
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby oZZma on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:03 pm

154 wrote:It's totally possible to influence/exist before other stuff and be on par with it, or sometimes not even as good as.

I mean are you a little dumber than your parents?

Totally possible. Only, it didn't happen with Melvins :mrgreen:
vade retro Santana
oZZma
frugal gourmet
frugal gourmet

Postby oZZma on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:10 pm

NewDarkAge wrote:KARP are better than the Melvins.

Oooh c'mon.
I love both bands but no... Not even close. Melvins were so fucking powerful, Karp are just a good band. Or a very good band, or a great band , but no "fucking powerful" stuff from them.
vade retro Santana
oZZma
frugal gourmet
frugal gourmet

Postby Sprague Dawley on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:18 pm

Karp LAPPED the Melvins. While doing doggy paddle.
Sprague Dawley
evita
evita

Postby El Protoolio on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:24 pm

I think what you guys really mean is that Melvins with Jared and Cody from Big Business is the best version of the Melvins. The idea that KARP, a favorite and fantastic band, were in any way better than the Melvins is utter nonsense. Please.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby NewDarkAge on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:34 pm

I think ‘Get Your Hands Off My Cake’ is more powerful than anything I’ve heard by the Melvins. Maybe I’m crazy.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge

Postby oZZma on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:46 pm

El Protoolio wrote: The idea that KARP, a favorite and fantastic band, were in any way better than the Melvins is utter nonsense. Please.

Yep. You may very well like them more, a matter of taste. But the sheer fucking magnificent genius of Dale Crover's drumming ALONE says enough of the difference between the two. This is not a matter of taste, it's just understanding music no matter your personal preference.
Otherwise, don't even get me started with the bands that "are better than the Beatles" :smt005
vade retro Santana
oZZma
frugal gourmet
frugal gourmet

Postby 154 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:20 pm

Karp had a better ear for hooks, and the good sense to not make 86 albums.

Also, their humor is actually funny.

Postby El Protoolio on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:57 pm

I think the Melvins are very funny and KARP worshipped them. There is no KARP without MELVINS. I’m sorry.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby biscuitdough on Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:36 pm

Melvins definitely influenced KARP.

Melvins definitely did not influence any good or foundational grindcore bands, as someone claimed above.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby biscuitdough on Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:37 pm

Although it's entirely possible they influenced the tedious Pig Destroyer and Brutal Truth...
biscuitdough

Postby skoz on Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:56 pm

El Protoolio wrote:I think the Melvins are very funny and KARP worshipped them. There is no KARP without MELVINS. I’m sorry.

There is no Karp without Melvins but I’d rather listen to s/t Lp over any Melvins record ever and for what it’s worth I never saw Karp play a bad show the 15 or so times I saw them. Karp have the advantage of an early demise of course.
skoz
carl sagan
carl sagan

Postby Jeremy B on Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:13 pm

M.H wrote:I understand that you’re joining in with some pile-on here to feel like you belong to a group of like-minded people. But come the fuck on.

Hahahaha. I don't know about you, but I don't come here anymore for a sense of belonging. The days of that happening in this place have come and gone, and I already have that in the real world. Anyone coming here now is just going to see a bunch of dudes melting down because some random person on the Internet criticized a band they think is revolutionary. Sorry, I said Ween jamming with godheadsilo. I realize that godheadsilo came after the Melvins. What I should have said was Ween jamming with Saint Vitus. Better?

NewDarkAge wrote:KARP are better than the Melvins.

This right here.
Jon Fine wrote:What had started out as free and welcoming ended up becoming as rigid and rule-bound as everything I'd hoped it would replace.
Jeremy B

Postby Sprague Dawley on Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:52 pm

Melvins vs Karp vs godheadsilo?

my preference:

1 GODHEADSILO-share the fantasy. love this thing to death. DEATH. maddening it never came out on lp
2 KARP-suplex
3 KARP-s/t
4 MELVINS-lysol
5 GODHEADSILO-scientific
6 GODHEADSILO-skyward
Sprague Dawley
evita
evita

Postby M.H on Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:33 pm

biscuitdough wrote:Melvins definitely did not influence any good or foundational grindcore bands, as someone claimed above.

biscuitdough wrote:Although it's entirely possible they influenced the tedious Pig Destroyer and Brutal Truth...

To be fair, I should have been more specific. The Melvins did not influence the Earache-era classics (Napalm Death, Repulsion, Terrorizer etc); but I think they had a huge influence on the mid 90’s, Relapse-era extreme bands who were going more avant-garde / deathgrind kinda stuff.
M.H
boutros boutros-ghali
boutros boutros-ghali

Postby M.H on Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:36 pm

Jeremy B wrote:What I should have said was Ween jamming with Saint Vitus. Better?

Yeah. Better. Not great, but better.

I do find the whole process where we revise an artist’s entire oeuvre the moment they deviate from the art-skool-politix utterly dispiriting, which is why I was moved to comment earlier. It’s depressing enough when it happens in the mainstream, let alone with subcultural stuff I care about. So the guy reads Thomas Sowell and thinks Bernie’s plans are unrealistic – it’s not exactly like he’s wandered into Skrewdriver territory, is it?

To be crystal clear – I think it’s totally fine to say you don’t like a band, or the musician’s opinions / politics, or say you prefer X to Y. But the idea that we’re going to ignore what a band achieved – not what we think about their work, but the cold facts – is weak sauce. And that’s what we’re talking about.
M.H
boutros boutros-ghali
boutros boutros-ghali

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap