Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

The Band

Crap
8%
Not Crap
92%

Total votes : 51

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:33 pm

Angus Jung wrote:Robbie Robertson has done some hate-able things. The main one that springs to mind is . . . all the incredible Dylan songs Robertson chose to leave off that record due to his own canyon-sized ego.

One of my all-time favorite rock anecdotes concerns The Last Waltz, which Martin Scorsese's wife-at-the-time described as a "valentine" to Robbie Robertson. At the premiere, when lights came on, Ronnie Hawkins stood up and shouted to all those assembled, "Well, Marty, that'd be a pretty good movie if you put some shots of Robbie Robertson in it!"

God, I love Ronnie Hawkins. Check out his two records on Cotillion, circa '70-71, one backed by Jim Dickinson's Dixie Flyers, one by Duane and Co. at Muscle Shoals. Great, great music.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:58 am

Weren't Robbie and Scorsese living together and snorting coke off each other's asses at the time? Or maybe that was later.

Robbie in The Last Waltz: "The Road, man. The Road. The Road was going to kill us. Shit, man, The Road."

It makes you want to call Jerry Lewis and ask him if he'd do a telethon for The Road.

I don't ever remember putting a gun to your fucking head and making you go on The Road, you ego prick nothing special guitar playing Basement Tape screwing up crapola man.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mattw on Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:38 am

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:One of my all-time favorite rock anecdotes concerns The Last Waltz, which Martin Scorsese's wife-at-the-time described as a "valentine" to Robbie Robertson. At the premiere, when lights came on, Ronnie Hawkins stood up and shouted to all those assembled, "Well, Marty, that'd be a pretty good movie if you put some shots of Robbie Robertson in it!"

This reminds me of a quote in the Easy Riders, Raging Bulls book where one of Marty's ex-wives said "It's too bad Marty wasn't gay, because all of his best relationships were with men."
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby eliya on Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:41 am

"Music From The Big Pink" is a great album!
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Mark Lansing on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:36 am

To me, the trouble with The Band was Robbie Robertson was a starfucking asshole who didn't treat his bandmates very well, but he was also the guy who wrote the best songs and had a real vision and genuine ambition for the group. In his absence, Levon Helm was the leader, and while he's a great drummer and they were all superb musicians, they would have been playing "Willie and the Hand Jive" in a bar for the rest of their days and never throught of doing anything else. In short, the two sides really needed one another, and when they were all working together at full capacity -- on Music From Big Pink and The Band -- they were brilliant. Then most of the band started jones-ing out, Robertson took over, and it was never as good again. But at their peak, they were absolutely incredible, and even the lesser albums have a few excellent songs on them.

Oh, and I interviewed Rick Danko in 1983. He was a total fucking asshole.

The Band -- Not Crap.
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell
Mark Lansing
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby rocker654 on Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:58 am

Levon Helm was the narrator (sp?) for the movie "The Right Stuff". I thought that movie was fantastic. Long, but great from beginning to end. Wasn't the Band originally called the Hawks? Again, there are so many shitty bands out there, I would call these guys:

Not Crap.
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby mattw on Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:32 pm

rocker654 wrote:Levon Helm was the narrator (sp?) for the movie "The Right Stuff". I thought that movie was fantastic. Long, but great from beginning to end.

Levon Helm is also in Tommy Lee Jones' new movie, "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada." He plays a blind man who listens to Mexican radio.
mattw

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:12 pm

connor wrote:I love the drumming in "Rag Mama Rag." When I listen to this, all I can think is: "why couldn't this guy have drummed for Neil Young?

He did. Check out On the Beach. The Danko/Helm rhythm section puts a martial malevolence into the backbone of "Revolution Blues."

Except I think that might be Richard Manuel drumming on "Rag Mama Rag." Manuel usually covered the loose-limbed swingers--if there's a mandolin on it (Levon's second instrument), Manuel's on the drums.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Maurice on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:Except I think that might be Richard Manuel drumming on "Rag Mama Rag." Manuel usually covered the loose-limbed swingers--if there's a mandolin on it (Levon's second instrument), Manuel's on the drums.

I'm pretty sure you're right. Man, the drumming on the intro really blows me away with the internal use of space against the thuds. I've pointed this out to people who don't hear anything special about it, but I've always thought it was really something, powerful and surprising in its unlikeliness.
music every week | here, too | snwv

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:34 am

Has anybody mentioned "Whispering Pines" yet? That's one of the saddest, sweetest songs in existence. When Levon starts singing from the well, it fucks me up every time.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby matthew on Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:59 am

The Band had some good tunes. Not Crap.

Favorite record? "Rock of Ages". Garth Hudson's organ trip on there alone is worth the record.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby dipshit jigaboo on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:37 am

Scorsese was forced to edit out footage of cocaine remnants hanging from the nose of Neil Young in The Last Waltz.

Not Crap.
Smoke weed, it's fun.
dipshit jigaboo
francis harry compton crick
francis harry compton crick

Postby matthew on Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:50 pm

dipshit jigaboo wrote:Scorsese was forced to edit out footage of cocaine remnants hanging from the nose of Neil Young in The Last Waltz.

Not Crap.

Also, judging by the way Rick Danko is singing in that film, you can that his nasal passages have been used and abused.

Scorsese was probably flying on coke most of the time when he made the film also. After all, it was the late 70's.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew

Postby Argyreia Nervosa on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:28 pm

The Band is awesome.

'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' - is such a perfect song. The emotion in the music and vocals is incredible. One of my favorite songs.

'The Weight' - Another classic song, it doesn't get much better in my opinion.

'Up On Cripple Creek" - Listen to the FUCKING DRUMS! Probably my all-time favorite drum sound. A clav through a wah pedal? Brilliant! Who would of thought a renegade Canadian musical genius/unibomber type, would create one of the most influential funk sounds ever...

NOT CRAP
Argyreia Nervosa
sweeny todd
sweeny todd

Postby John Houlihan on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:10 pm

N/C

Anyone who thinks The Band is Crap, is retarded.

Thank you.
John Houlihan
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby etch on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:24 am

I met Rick Danko one night in an alley in '96 I believe, super nice guy that night, although very overweight and looked like he was an alcoholic/drug addict.

First two albums are NOT CRAP, Last Waltz is a great collection and concert also.

Anyone ever see the bit about Robbie needing a hypnotist to get it together to play Madison Square Garden? Hilarious.
etch
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby holmes on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:22 pm

massively not crap.
man with a mullet going mad with mallet in millets
holmes

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:42 pm

A good number of the people on that Last Waltz stage were coked out of their brains, including Neil Young, who had a visible lump of cocaine inside his nose during that concert, necessitating Scorsese to painstakingly re-edit so that the coke in his nose was either not seen or really, really hard to notice. [Edit: apparently, in the original cut there was a white blur put on Neil's nose in postproduction to hide the rock. Way to go, Marty...not making it obvious or anything...]

The Band were great, but Robbie Robertson's guitar playing almost always disappointed me after I heard Blonde On Blonde for the first time. This guy could play like that and never did with his own group? What a bummer. Admittedly, there were never any Band songs that needed guitar playing like that, but still...and Robertson was an asshole. Most of The Band seem to be assholes in retrospect.

But those first two albums are good enough for me and should be for anyone.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby punch_the_lion on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-xQoNDFwlE

Not Crap. The Band are right up with Crazy Horse and CCR for me.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Gulley Jimson on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:18 am

Can't think of a more aptly-named band: The Band are the band. (All internal turmoil and burning-out aside, most of which can in all likelihood be attributed to some combination of drugs and Robbie Robertson's assholery.) Such sympathetic, versatile, and humble playing--at least on the first few records. Fitting that this poll should get bumped in the Fall, as they might, objectively speaking, be our most autumnal musical group. Also, how can one band have so many great and distinctive singers in it? Now that's a tough Rank: Band vocalists...
"The four scowling men sat in the dingey and surpassed records in the invention of epithets."
-Stephen Crane
Gulley Jimson
prosecutor
prosecutor

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap