High on Fire?

Crap
13%
Not Crap
87%

Total votes : 151

Re: Band: High on Fire

Postby Sock OR Muffin? on Mon May 18, 2009 8:38 am

Blessed Black Wings drowns out all of my idiot co-workers very well.

NC
Anthony Flack wrote:In fact it was Jimmy Saville who first introduced Cream to The Small Faces.
Sock OR Muffin?
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Andrew. on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:04 pm

J. Burns wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:As far as I'm concerned, Mastodon is better than High On Fire for Leviathan alone.

Leviathan is a fantastic album. Don't care for Blood Mountain, Crack The Skye is horrible.

High On Fire have yet to break my heart like Mastodon has. They may not have a Leviathan (Blessed Black Wings comes pretty damned close), but they don't have a Blood Mountain or Crack The Skye either.

I think this would make a pretty decent thunderdome.

I really don't get the contest. Mastodon's path to prog-rock wankery was inevitable, coded in their DNA as a bunch of soulless goofs.

Although I was never super into metal (with a few exceptions), I've had a kind of late baptism in High on Fire and Electric Wizard. Just can't get enough. And, with apologies to the effete exercise-is-for-idiots musician vibe that predominates on this board, I spent a few months listening to nothing but HoF at my local gym (after bailing on a Ph.D program and feeling pretty down) and got ripped as hell.

It's like Black Sabbath playing with lit sticks of dynamite up their asses, in apocalyptic weather, with Lemmy singing.

I actually love this band. I fear the upcoming album will be over the top with bastardized Turkish/Mid East stuff though. Keeping yourself interested shouldn't mean letting the bassist write riffs on a bouzouki or whatever.
Andrew.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby John Houlihan on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:18 pm

Andrew-with-the-pretentious-ass-period-at-the-end-of-his-name wrote:And, with apologies to the effete exercise-is-for-idiots musician vibe that predominates on this board, I spent a few months listening to nothing but HoF at my local gym (after bailing on a Ph.D program and feeling pretty down) and got ripped as hell.

"I read political bloggery while Cranius, with his awesome hair-do, sweatily spots me my five-kilogram dumbbell."

Sorry, I'm on a Mad-Libs kick.
John Houlihan
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Andrew. on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:36 pm

Dr. Venkman wrote:
Andrew-with-the-pretentious-ass-period-at-the-end-of-his-name wrote:And, with apologies to the effete exercise-is-for-idiots musician vibe that predominates on this board, I spent a few months listening to nothing but HoF at my local gym (after bailing on a Ph.D program and feeling pretty down) and got ripped as hell.

"I read political bloggery while Cranius, with his awesome hair-do, sweatily spots me my five-kilogram dumbbell."

You still sore from being worked over in this thread you never came back to? Maybe you should bring your hostility back to the thread where it's relevant, dude.

The period, Doctor, was because "Andrew" on its own was already taken. My first account on the board also ended in a state of "pretentious" punctuation though.

Meanwhile, Cranius will likely remain a handsome and rather dashing man, if not quite at arm's reach.

High on Fire: N/C

Dr. Venkman: N/C: slight waffle
Andrew.

Postby John Houlihan on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:14 pm

Andrew. wrote:
Dr. Venkman wrote:

You still sore from being worked over in this thread you never came back to? Maybe you should bring your hostility back to the thread where it's relevant, dude.

The period, Doctor, was because "Andrew" on its own was already taken. My first account on the board also ended in a state of "pretentious" punctuation though.

Meanwhile, Cranius will likely remain a handsome and rather dashing man, if not quite at arm's reach.

High on Fire: N/C

The reason I never came back to that thread is because I like Cranius. He seems like a good dude and I didn't feel like getting to an internet pissing match with a person I like, in order to resolve nothing. Maybe I'm neigh a coward, but a hero; a great man, who showed incredible restraint, in the smelly, asshole face of know-it-alls.
John Houlihan
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Pure L on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:19 am

Is it me or is the HOF drummer fucking awesome in that 'what-a-distinctive-feel-this-drummer-has' type of way? I used to have a mini-bike as a kid and I remember the sound of it as it started up. Like you knew you were in for something good as soon as you pulled the cord but you knew that it had to get to a point where it was firing on all 2 cylinders.

Does anyone really play (and sound) like this guy? If so, I'm unaware of 'em.

I don't have the new record yet but I'm gonna get it.

The way the drums were recorded on Blessed Black Wings gives me a great big boner. That's all.
Pure L
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Ernest on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:46 am

Pure L wrote:

The way the drums were recorded on Blessed Black Wings gives me a great big boner. That's all.

To me, the drums on the latest album sound better than the ones on Blessed. It's an incredible record.

Colonel Panic wrote:As far as I'm concerned, Mastodon is better than High On Fire for Leviathan alone.

Mastodon, at least now, are a third rate Rush compared to the quality of HoF. Beyond Remission, there's only a handful of good-to-great songs.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Andrew. on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:02 am

Dr. Venkman wrote: Maybe I'm neigh a coward, but a hero; a great man, who showed incredible restraint, in the smelly, asshole face of know-it-alls.

Right, dude. You came out calling people (e.g., Cranius) treehuggers and hippies when you clearly didn't have the slightest clue what you were talking about. You got served and then fucked off--as well you should have.

High on Fire: Not crap.
Andrew.

Postby mattw on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:55 am

I like their recent album, Death Is This Communion, even more than the previous one. I don't really want to know what he's singing about, I just want to hear the heavy. You could make a pretty good case for testing the value of stereo systems by cranking "Devilution" and seeing how well it withstands all that bottom end.

NOT crap.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Andrew. on Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:39 pm

mattw wrote:I like their recent album, Death Is This Communion, even more than the previous one. I don't really want to know what he's singing about, I just want to hear the heavy. You could make a pretty good case for testing the value of stereo systems by cranking "Devilution" and seeing how well it withstands all that bottom end.

NOT crap.

"Devilution" is monumental. Nothing new, but so fresh. It takes something that was always wicked to the next level.
Andrew.

Postby monotremata on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:09 pm

NOT CRAP.

Whoever it was that said on the first page 'Matt Pike IS heavy metal' was right on.
I throw on Thraft of Canaan or Blood From Zion and it makes me wanna put on a viking helmet and go invade and pillage the neighbors house just because thats what you SHOULD be doing while playing HoF. Berzerker invasion all the way.

Its been full on punch you in the nuts metal since day 1 and theyre still going strong..
All you gotta do is watch Dez back there beating the shit out of his three piece kit and youll get it. Cool moment in stoner history, got to hang out and drink with Matt and Billy Anderson all night at the Great American Music Hall in frisco when Om played one of their first shows in like 2005.. Then got introduced to Al and Chris after the show while we were outside smoking.

No comparison to Mastodon, although Im glad Mastodon went to Elektra so Relapse finally started putting money towards HoF.. Before that Relapse spent everything on Mastodon and left all their other bands out to dry. Anybody remember Halo?
monotremata
webelos
webelos

Postby Bernardo on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:57 pm

New one set to be released in february, and recorded by the same guy who did the last Slayer and Metallica albums. I have a hard time believing it'll sound good, but I'll keep an open mind.
Bernardo

Postby ianscanlon on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:25 pm

When I saw High on Fire, (about 7 years ago now I think), Mastodon were opening. The only good thing they (mastodon) did, was cover Thin Lizzy, and get off the stage in a timely fashion to allow High on Fire to come out and slay us all. The bass player had a flying V bass, it was amazing. The only bad thing about that show is that they didn't play 10,000 years, I think they played all of surrounded by thieves though, so it was pretty awesome.
ianscanlon
red hodges
red hodges

Postby Andrew. on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:50 pm

They are playing a smallish venue here in February. I am stoked.
Andrew.

Postby Schadenfreude on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:02 am

What I like about High on Fire is that their songs are great and yet it feels like they were written and recorded in the same day. Like it was all effortless.

The DVD that comes with their latest record seems to even give that impression. Matt rolled out of bed one day, dicked around and the album was finished the next day.

Maybe not the truth, but it feels like it's true.
That's not entirely true.
Schadenfreude
chimp
chimp

Postby Bernardo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Bernardo

Postby Andrew. on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:39 pm

Rad! Thanks.

stereogum wrote:Maybe think of it as Blessed Black Wings with five years experience and stadium-sized production.

ugh.
Andrew.

Postby Bernardo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:46 pm

From hearing in my laptop speakers that description is off. It's similar to the Slayer record in that the drum sound is all attack, no resonance, and super dry, which are all things that I dislike. In terms of sound it's one step further in the direction they took with the last record, I guess. The song sounds like most of their faster songs, I had trouble keeping my attention on for all 6 mins of it.
Bernardo

Postby Rimbaud III on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:51 am

AWESOME! Ronnie James Dio has joined HOF!
Rimbaud III

Postby Andrew. on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:11 am

Rimbaud III wrote:

AWESOME! Ronnie James Dio has joined HOF!

Wikipedia wrote:He is widely hailed as one of the most powerful singers in heavy metal
Andrew.

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap