Band: Adam and the Ants

Postby Cranius on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:24 pm

Ant Music?

Not Crap. High :WF:.
Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:16 pm

I liked Kings of the Wild Frontier when I was a kid and haven't heard it in at least 15 years, but something tells me it has not aged well and that I wouldn't have liked it then had I not been an impressionable adolescent desperate to discover the next Devo.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:29 pm

I know that I've asked this question before, but did anyone here ever see the Chicago "version" of Adam & the Ants?

Dylan Posa was in this band, which raises a question:

Where is Dylan Posa?

Is he okay?
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby kerble on Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:37 pm

Dylan is just fine, Brad.

I got an email from him last week. he's been very busy with work, has changed jobs and has little time for being here, unfortunately.

I sent him an email b/c i had the same concerns about our esteemed colleague, Mr. Posa.

hth.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Jodi S. on Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:01 pm

1) Marco Pirroni (I know I spelled his name wrong) is an incredible guitarist.

2) Pirate costumes!

3) Adam Ant, back in the day, was very crushworthy.

1+2+3 = not crap
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby rashiedgarrison on Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:33 pm

I have a friend who is such a fan, he has an Adam and the Ants tattoo.

Some of it still stands up I think. It's pretty minimal in places. I like how he went from Soho seediness to panto in his lyrical topics, and it's pretty great that a lot of it got in the charts. Salut, crazy Adam.
rashiedgarrison
future member of don caballero
future member of don caballero

Postby Gramsci on Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:50 pm

Good grief. This reeks of revisionism.

Shite then, shite now.

People, STANDARDS!
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Loretta on Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:29 am

Truth,

As i opened this goody two shoes came on the radio.

I love them.

I dont mind a few of his solo stuff as well.

Not crap wf 1
What you talking bout. Most fast food automatically rules on a base level. Like pizza. And blowjobs.
Loretta
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby run joe, run on Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:42 am

burun wrote:1) Marco Pirroni (I know I spelled his name wrong) is an incredible guitarist.

Yeah.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.
run joe, run
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby johnnyshape on Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:24 am

NOT CRAP

:WF: 0
rchapman75 wrote: If the PRF ran NASA, we'd have colonies on the moons of Jupiter and be mining asteroids for aluminum.
johnnyshape
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby timmx on Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:08 am

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:I know that I've asked this question before, but did anyone here ever see the Chicago "version" of Adam & the Ants?

I did see them opening for someone at Lounge Ax.
Unfortunately I didn't really know the original material and concept well enough to really get what was happening on stage.

I realize this information is about as informative as saying nothing at all but in the strictest sense I did answer the question.
timmx
hiwatt
hiwatt

Postby kerble on Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:24 pm

In this Thread,

forum member blinduncledallas wrote:I was once in a band who was playing a industry only showcase in London at the Camden Splash club. It was in summer 1996

It was a very tense affair. We were playing with three other bands who were professional incarnate. We, for some reason were the last band on. The other bands were really quite good which put even more pressure on us. I remember Adam Ant was in the audience near the bar (which was in full view from the stage) with his girlfriend.

After i think our second song ( i was the bass player but i sung backing) i said something along the lines of "Fuckin' ell Adam, put on a bit of weight, didn't recognise you there!" intending it to be a funny putdown which would (in my stressed out mind) break the ice with the stone cold industry lackies. He really freaked out shouting abuse at me, the rest of the band looked at me like i was a total retard (which i admit, i was)

It totally ruined the gig and everyone who spoke to our manager afterwards said "great band, but the bass player's a bit of a wanker"

It wasn't until a couple of years ago when I heard of Adam's major mental illness and him throwing part of a motorcycle engine through the window of a pub and threatning people with a replica gun that made me think i'd had a lucky escape.

I still want to apologise to him now and i'm really not the wanker i sounded!

such a nice story.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Mark Lansing on Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:52 pm

Black Flag kills Ants on contact.

Very much Crap, even if my friend Soren named his band after one of his songs, and the cute girl Shelia I dated years ago kep trying to change my mind about "Dirk Wears White Sox."
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell
Mark Lansing
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:30 am

I've listened to some Adam & The Ants/Adam Ant songs lately, and I thought that these songs were really well done.

Maybe they don't get enough credit.

By the way, those outfits are killer. I'm going with the white stripe across the nose ASAP.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:14 am

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:I've listened to some Adam & The Ants/Adam Ant songs lately, and I thought that these songs were really well done.

Maybe they don't get enough credit.

By the way, those outfits are killer. I'm going with the white stripe across the nose ASAP.

As a lawyer, shouldn't you be more accustomed to the white stripe under the nose?
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby zom-zom on Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:19 am

My college band, which was Flour, me, Jimmy Petroski and this guy who could kind of sing, covered "Car Trouble", an early single.

By the way, that band was called "USSA". I even have a USSA badge from about 1980.

I only have heard the early singles and Kings of the Wild Frontier and that stuff, while having really silly lyrics, is "fun" to listen to and Marco is indeed a tasty guitarist.

Not Crapmusic.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Josef K on Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:40 am

My first (only) serious musical obsession. As a 12 year old these guys were great, looked good and sounded good. I still have my copies of the albums Dirk Wears White Sox and Kings of the Wild Frontier and a few singles too.

Back then = great, as a nostalgic backglance = Ok, but overall, a wee bit embarrassing but still not crap.
gjhardwick wrote:shut up you massive baptist
Josef K
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby ubercat on Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:48 am

I prefer Bow Wow Wow. Same band - waayy better front person. Nice caribbean sound.

However, Dirk era Ants is pretty fucking good. Xerox, Kick and Car Trouble = NC.

NC - high waffles for M-TV era Ants.
ubercat
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Re: Band: Adam and the Ants

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:37 am

As a kid I was drawn to Stand and Deliver for some reason. That video was on all the time. I remember going through their section at the record stores wondering what the fuck this band was all about. Had Prince Charming and his solo album Strip on cassette but really only liked the singles from each.

As an adult their first record Dirk Wears White Sox is actually a really good late '70's English post-punk record. Kings, Prince Charming and the solo album Friend or Foe each have their moments and of course those few great singles, Antmusic, Stand and Deliver, Goody Two Shoes, etc, but the first LP with the original band is where it's at. After that they're kind of campy and dumb.

ADAM AND THE ANTS NOT CRAP SOME WAFFLES
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Re: Band: Adam and the Ants

Postby nblinko9 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:06 am

The song "Picasso Visita El Planeta De Los Simios" always gives me chills when the chorus comes up. Love it
nblinko9
viscount
viscount

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap