Nein! Gut!
88%
Ja, scheiße.
12%

Total votes : 138

Re: Kraftwerk

Postby chairman_hall on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:23 am

Every band should be Kraftwerk.
jimmy spako wrote:i have ranted, and you have scrolled.
chairman_hall
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby stewie on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:21 pm

stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Ace on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:49 pm

stewie wrote:Kraftwerk Shreds

oh my god this is funny
DrAwkward wrote:Hyperbole. It's a device i enjoy from time to time.
Ace
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby tallchris on Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:12 am

Ace wrote:
stewie wrote:Kraftwerk Shreds

oh my god this is funny

Love this. Had me cracking up at work the other day.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby WeStartToDrift on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:19 pm

Not crap at all, well, maybe their new stuff. But Man Machine, Trans Europe, and Radioactivity are three of the greatest albums of all time.
WeStartToDrift
hindu
hindu

Postby Dovey on Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:18 pm

Kraftwerk is fantastic, but Neu! is better.
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Ernest on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:33 pm

You know what is awesome!? Electric Cafe!

The past couple of days, I've been listening to the later material, and it's great. It finally hit me just right.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby enframed on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:35 am

In the record store the other day I noticed a bunch of Kraftwerk digital (of course) remasters of several albums available on LP. Anyone have any of these? How do they sound?
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby goatlord on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:04 am

I don't know why people say that this guys are clinical and soulless. Seriously, Autobhan it's one of the most almost retardly happy and joyful albums ever created. You have to have an almost childlike level of enjoyment to create such a beautiful album inspired on going up and down the road with a car.

Not crap!
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord

Postby whoisalhedges on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:16 am

Their career has been so varied, yet so wonderful. The amazing thing to me is how they've succeeded at just about anything. The first two epoymous albums are among my favorites -- and they've got fucking FLUTE. Ian Anderson could learn a thing or two from Kraftwerk. Moving on then into analog synth territory; then on to being a pioneer of digital (and to this day one of the few digital performers I like)....

Dovey wrote:Kraftwerk is fantastic, but Neu! is better.

I love me some Neu!, but we're really only talking about two great records there. The debut and Neu! '75. The second album, with half of it being the same songs being played over again reads to me like an antecedent to Paul Oakenfold, which I cannot abide. And even those two, I can't see how they're better than Kraftwerk, Trans-Europa Express, Die Mensch-Maschine, or Autobahn. If you wanna say Can is better, okay, sure. Maybe even Faust (probably not). But Neu!?
"Country music must go on!" -- Austin J. Hall, September 11, 2001
whoisalhedges
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Location: Where they put chili on spaghetti, BBQ sauce on kielbasa, and men on the moon.

Postby tarandfeathers on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:26 pm

I can just about get behind the first couple of records. The "proper" Kraftwerk records though, I just don't get it. I suppose it's all right, and I wouldn't turn it off on the radio but I never feel compelled to listen to any of it, and I love tedious, repetetive music more than just about anything. I wont vote.
Don't shun it. Fun it.
tarandfeathers
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Dovey on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:42 am

whoisalhedges wrote:
Dovey wrote:Kraftwerk is fantastic, but Neu! is better.

I love me some Neu!, but we're really only talking about two great records there. The debut and Neu! '75. The second album, with half of it being the same songs being played over again reads to me like an antecedent to Paul Oakenfold, which I cannot abide. And even those two, I can't see how they're better than Kraftwerk, Trans-Europa Express, Die Mensch-Maschine, or Autobahn. If you wanna say Can is better, okay, sure. Maybe even Faust (probably not). But Neu!?

I honestly don't remember making that post nor do I know what the fuck I was thinking at the time, nor do I endorse it's contents now. What the hell, me. I think I was just listening to a lot of Neu! at the time?
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey

Postby whoisalhedges on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:29 am

Dovey wrote:I think I was just listening to a lot of Neu! at the time?

This is still a good thing to do.
"Country music must go on!" -- Austin J. Hall, September 11, 2001
whoisalhedges

Location: Where they put chili on spaghetti, BBQ sauce on kielbasa, and men on the moon.

Postby jakethesnake on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Not crap! The funny thing is that when I was a kid, I was all about metal and Kraftwerk was the enemy since they were considered the father of synth-pop and New Romantic. Me and my friend ritually destroyed his Kraftwerk tape (=Electric Cafe which I still find somewhat lame but whatever) in the name of metal. He put it on a log, screamed "DEATH TO COMPUTERIZED MUSIC" and smashed it to pieces with an axe. It should also be mentioned that we used to go to record stores and spit into the sleeves of "weak" metal bands like Bon Jovi and Poison...

Fast forward one-two years and I realise that this was not some weak-ass synth pop band but instead a genuinely brilliant band who just happened to use new technology as an instrument
jakethesnake
hemingway
hemingway

Postby dtr3 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:53 am

Where would you recommend someone who has never really listened to Kraftwerk begin? I've seen Autobahn mentioned quite a few times in this thread. Would that be a good one to start with?
dtr3
cannon fodder
cannon fodder

Postby Ernest on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:56 am

dtr3 wrote:Where would you recommend someone who has never really listened to Kraftwerk begin? I've seen Autobahn mentioned quite a few times in this thread. Would that be a good one to start with?

That one is a good place to start, but it can be a little daunting if you're not used to long tracks. I would pick "Trans-Europe Express" as an introduction. It's great pop music. "Electric Cafe" if you're into 80s electro, their first three albums if you like krautrock, and "Tour de France Soundtracks" if you like techno.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby ImDADA on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:16 am

dtr3 wrote:Where would you recommend someone who has never really listened to Kraftwerk begin? I've seen Autobahn mentioned quite a few times in this thread. Would that be a good one to start with?

Bit obvious but I'd start at the beginning - the first three records are quite different (and goddamn brilliant) and it's interesting hearing how the band progresses - it won't be long before you get to Autobahn which is admittedly one of the best efforts.

Someone should do a thunderdome of Kraftwerks first 6 LPs vs Black Sabbaths first 6, two unbelievable runs of records.

Edit: just realised how much I dislike the term 'efforts'. Albums.
Blue.
ImDADA

Postby dtr3 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! I think I'll start at the beginning, and then work my way through the rest.
dtr3
cannon fodder
cannon fodder

Postby tarandfeathers on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:07 pm

Live recording from Radio Bremen, 1971

The first track of this recording alone is enough to reverse my opinion that Kraftwerk were not that great, even if they were only great for a brief period in 1971.
Don't shun it. Fun it.
tarandfeathers

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:41 pm

Having never heard a Kraftwerk record in its entirety, I sprang for an original copy of Autobahn recently, in part because I wanted to check out this band that so many of my friends revere but also because I really loved the cover graphics--and the record sounded fantastic.

I like it a lot and look forward to exploring more of this band's music. Not crap.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap