Yes?

Yes.
52%
No.
48%

Total votes : 116

Re: Band: YES

Postby Redline on Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:24 pm

Ike wrote:Relayer finally clicked for me today. Bitchin' album--totally diff beast.

This was the one that landed it for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtiaS8Plg8c

Yeah, and Seve Howe going mental on the whole lp with an old Tele and pedal steel. To be Over is an under-rated classic, dammit. I'm going to listen to Relayer today.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Ike on Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Right there with you!
Ike
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby RSMurphy on Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:07 pm

I once sat in a hotel room with Steven Drozd where he proceeded to point to each Yes song he ripped-off for The Soft Bulletin. Not Crap for that, I guess, but haven't been moved to investigate further. You may direct me to pretty stuff, if you please. Nothing complicated /historyoftheworldpt1kinglouisvoice
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Redline on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:17 pm

RSMurphy wrote:I once sat in a hotel room with Steven Drozd where he proceeded to point to each Yes song he ripped-off for The Soft Bulletin. Not Crap for that, I guess, but haven't been moved to investigate further. You may direct me to pretty stuff, if you please. Nothing complicated /historyoftheworldpt1kinglouisvoice

Ok. To be Over from Relayer, then.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby RSMurphy on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:08 pm

^ I'm going to turn-off Guru to check it out. It better be pretty and not all puffed-out and labyrinthine and laborious and stuff.

RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby RSMurphy on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:20 pm

It lost me when they decided to give the keyboard player some, but all in all it wasn't horrible.

RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Redline on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:40 am

Ok.

Then And You and I from Close to the Edge.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:12 am

More like "NO", amirite?

I'm not going to search to see how many times this joke was made and I actually don't have any opinion about this band. What's a good starting point with them? edit: answered above!
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby tallchris on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:13 pm

CTTE really clicked for me over the last year. Awesome playing, especially the first few minutes before the vocals start on the title track. The band itself makes way more sense to me realizing they were taking the vocal arrangements of the Beach Boys and the frantic overplaying of the Who into some weird hippie concoction.

I can dig the four actual songs on Fragile, but nothing much post-Bruford really has grabbed me. Need to give Relayer another shot.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Redline on Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:14 pm

tallchris wrote:CTTE really clicked for me over the last year. Awesome playing, especially the first few minutes before the vocals start on the title track. The band itself makes way more sense to me realizing they were taking the vocal arrangements of the Beach Boys and the frantic overplaying of the Who into some weird hippie concoction.

I can dig the four actual songs on Fragile, but nothing much post-Bruford really has grabbed me. Need to give Relayer another shot.

That's mostly true, but a few times Alan improves on Bill's take on a song.

Take Starship Trooper, for example. Bill's version on The Yes Album is fine, But Alan White really pushes that fucker into new territory on Yessongs. He really rips into it, and in the end part (Wurm) he turns into Buddy Miles or something. It's funky as hell.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby boilermaker on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Redline wrote:
tallchris wrote:CTTE really clicked for me over the last year. Awesome playing, especially the first few minutes before the vocals start on the title track. The band itself makes way more sense to me realizing they were taking the vocal arrangements of the Beach Boys and the frantic overplaying of the Who into some weird hippie concoction.

That's mostly true, but a few times Alan improves on Bill's take on a song.

Take Starship Trooper, for example. Bill's version on The Yes Album is fine, But Alan White really pushes that fucker into new territory on Yessongs. He really rips into it, and in the end part (Wurm) he turns into Buddy Miles or something. It's funky as hell.

Bruford is one of my favourite drummers but have to agree. The Yessongs version of Yours is No Disgrace is also pretty great and White is impressive on Relayer which for me is the band's finest achievement with CTTE close behind.
boilermaker
hoochie coochie man
hoochie coochie man

Postby DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE on Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:56 am

Alan white will always be guilty of the sin of simply not being Bill Bruford. The lumpen, somewhat plodding playing on tales from topographic oceans (and to be clear, that kind of goes for all of them on that record) really spotlighted what was lost post Bruford. However, I think he came into his own on Relayer, and records as ignored as Tormato have some real distinct, stylistic playing all over it. Though it’s arguable in general, that record has some pretty stellar performances- On the silent wings of freedom, for example, between him and squire, it’s just insane.

He’s also great on Drama... which I love.

I’ve long suspected Drozd was a big fan... I recall when I first heard the soft bullitin I felt there was more than a spoonful of Yes- certainly evident in the big picture- high, reedy vocals atop grandiose mellotron mountains, but it’s also tucked in all those lil country-fried “Howe” style licks here and there, I figured as much.

As for similar pretty bits:
You will hear it all over CTTE, (and you and I, and the middle of CTTE in particular).

Heart of the sunrise, and really all of fragile as well.

Tales from topographic is a mess, but also fairly listenable, I think. There’s some real great moments in that muck, but it should be nobodies first yes record.
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Redline on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:34 pm

Tales from topographic is a mess

Right, and everybody hates Side 3, but that's my jam. The slide guitar, mellotron stuff, then it gets all pretty. Lots of klangy percussion. I still wish I could've heard Bill's take on it.

Side 2 to me is a chore. And I like Rick Wakeman.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby boilermaker on Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:16 pm

I will always liked TFTO. Side one and four still sound great to me and I like side three just fine. Side two is slog with a some great segments. It was the first Yes album I heard borrowed from a library on cassette sometime in the late 70s when I was about 10. I played it over and over for weeks as I'd heard nothing like it and was my favourite album for a while. I only became aware of the loathing for it later and first from a Rick Wakeman bio.
boilermaker
hoochie coochie man
hoochie coochie man

Postby Big John on Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:34 pm

Wow you can still get tickets for the 2019 close to the edge cruise, what a line up! I wonder if it is a full reunion of Spocks Beard. Jordan Rudness will no doubt be wearing his Wizard frock and hat again.
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:50 pm

boilermaker wrote:I will always liked TFTO. Side one and four still sound great to me and I like side three just fine. Side two is slog with a some great segments. It was the first Yes album I heard borrowed from a library on cassette sometime in the late 70s when I was about 10. I played it over and over for weeks as I'd heard nothing like it and was my favourite album for a while. I only became aware of the loathing for it later and first from a Rick Wakeman bio.

To be clear, I love all those 70’s records... tfto included! But you can’t help but feel the massive lurching downshift coming off of CTTE, so it always represents that steep drop in ‘essential-ness”. Side 4 is really quite beautiful, and frankly each side has its moments. It’s just a record I can’t gelp but go, “damn, there goes a damn great winning streak”.
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Redline on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:32 pm

I wish this whole live show existed.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Redline on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:47 pm

Redline