Yes?

Yes.
52%
No.
48%

Total votes : 116

Re: Band: YES

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Occasional flashes of musical brilliance marred by too much fantasy and too many baroque "classical" influences w/not nearly enough knuckle-dragging, balls-in-the-dirt rock'n'roll to save the ship. And I'm talking about the '70s records here, and not the Chris Squire-and-Jon-Anderson led '80s karaoke version of the band. Way too whimsical for me, not my kinda prog rock. Better than Genesis, though.

My dad used to play me Yes records when I was about four, in the late '70s. He had facial hair in those days. I have fond memories of this, even though I can't deal w/the music.

Crap w/spangled, sequined waffles.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:00 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:Occasional flashes of musical brilliance marred by too much fantasy and too many baroque "classical" influences w/not nearly enough knuckle-dragging, balls-in-the-dirt rock'n'roll to save the ship.

Are you honestly expecting that from the band whose lead singer sounds like a teapot boiling patchouli? Asking Yes to provide "knuckle-dragging, balls-in-the-dirt rock'n'roll" is like asking the Cro-Mags to cover Pawn Hearts.

Yes is not crap. Fragile and Relayer are great, complex, catchy and cheesy records, and you have to have a tolerance for the cheese. Yes were basically earnest, well-meaning, often quite clueless hippie holdovers (all the interest in pot-smoking mysticism, you know) who also happened to be extremely talented, technically accomplished musicians making progressive maneuvers in the dark, and that comes through on the records. Plus, let us not forget that Steve Howe was a massive influence on Keith Levene - "Poptones" would not exist without the guitar part for "Starship Trooper."
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:49 pm

SecondEdition wrote:Are you honestly expecting that from the band whose lead singer sounds like a teapot boiling patchouli? Asking Yes to provide "knuckle-dragging, balls-in-the-dirt rock'n'roll" is like asking the Cro-Mags to cover Pawn Hearts.

Yes is not crap. Fragile and Relayer are great, complex, catchy and cheesy records, and you have to have a tolerance for the cheese.

I agree w/you about the cheese.

But hey, if someone as superwhite, uptight, uncool, unrock, and anal-retentive as Robert Fripp could get mean, lowdown, and gritty on those mid-period Crimson albums, it wouldn't have been too much to expect the members of Yes to leave the labyrinth every now and then.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby cak on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:41 am

Relayer (Alan White's only good record, I think)

Relayer is good, but I cannot agree that it's better than Fragile. "The Gates of Delirium" rules, but the other half of the album is crippled by Weather Report synth crap.

Definitely the Lips were influenced by these guys. I have to assume the main reason they didn't cover Fragile or Close to the Edge instead of Dark Side of the Moon was that those albums are significantly harder to perform.
cak
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:47 am

Give me a fucking break you fucked up people are listening to fucking Yes, Jesus fucking Christ, man.

NO. CRAP. Fuck.
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Nina on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:03 am

Marsupialized wrote:Give me a fucking break you fucked up people are listening to fucking Yes, Jesus fucking Christ, man.

Have I ever told the story about when I went to SEE YES LIVE a few years ago?

Man oh man. That was a night I won't ever forget.
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Ernest on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:16 am

Marsupialized wrote:Give me a fucking break you fucked up people are listening to fucking Yes, Jesus fucking Christ, man.

NO. CRAP. Fuck.

Man, we're all guilty here. Owners of a lonely heart, indeed.

YES is like WIRE mixed with BILLY JOEL if he used more electronics. Weird.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:46 am

Saw them live a bunch of times during the late nineties and early oo's. While they managed to get the proper members back, (Steve Howe, Wakeman when he wasn't being a pain in the ass/arse... I could give a shit about Alan White unless its something he was on), they would still baffle an audience by doing weird shit like opening a show with "Rhythm of Love" (still preceded by the orchestra music which we all know is supposed to be followed by Siberian Khatru!).

Yes was a band, that even when I was long over any period of interest in them, I had close friends who still gave a shit, and we could always have a good time getting high and watching Yes at Jones Beach or somewhere else in the tri-state area. Once, they even came through my own lil hometown of Danbury, CT and played an outdoor show with an orchestra... its was so unexpected, as we only heard about it the day of. What a lovely summer evening we all had getting stoned in the woods and then listening to something as improbable as Yes perform with a big ole orchestra as the sun was setting. They even took shit way out and played side four of Topographic oceans, which blew my mind. They were clearly running an oldies show, but Christ, that was some rather complex and involved music to present to an audience! My hats off to them for still getting out there and doing some hard work for our thirty bucks!

While I enjoyed all of these shows (still get the chills during "and you and I"), I could have thrown a big rock at Chris Squire every time he played a solo, or even just did that lil one legged spin which just looks really weird for a man of his girth... And that fucking Alan White shits all over the Bruford bits with his meat and potato style drumming. Fucker just ignores all the odd time bits in "Heart of the Sunrise" completely!

I am a geek.
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby cak on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:34 am

NO. CRAP. Fuck.

"no crap", got it

Seriously, many many great bands go on to make terrible music that only the hardiest of fans can stomach. I'm sure the majority of Wire fans only really give a shit about the first three records. What the majority doesn't do is dismiss those three records just because the other ones aren't as good. It is the same with Yes. If you actually gave Close to the Edge a chance, you might seriously kick yourself for having avoided it.

But then maybe not....I have a friend (very underground-rock oriented) who many years ago tried to get me to listen to his 90125 LP. No thanks. More recently, I played him stuff from Fragile, which he had never heard before. He remarked that it was lame and sounded exactly like Rush.
cak
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby Bernardo on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:43 am

I'll give it to Yes that they're much better than Rush. I don't mind them, but could never get into them either.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby jeff_fox on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:13 am

Duh. NC, 0 wf.

Suck it. I think I played Time and a Word about 10 times in the coffee shop this week.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby kerble on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:48 am

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:Duh. NC, 0 wf.

Suck it. I think I played Time and a Word about 10 times in the coffee shop this week.

"Time and a Word" is a phenomenal song. That one gets repeated in my stereo, too.
Yes is Not Crap. their shining moments outweigh any and all crap they have done.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby zom-zom on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:11 pm

NO. CRAP. Fuck.

Hey man, you already said your piece.

And you dig cocorosie, so get out of prog-land and get back to your Children's Music sector.

Yes, indeed.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Post me a link to the BEST Yes song, I wanna hear this. I have heard Yes many times and every single time it's been god awful garbage. Apparently I am missing some amazing period of their existence where they made music that did not make you want to drive your car into a tar pit. Enlighten me.
Marsupialized

Postby yaledelay on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:24 pm

Marsupialized wrote:Post me a link to the BEST Yes song, I wanna hear this. I have heard Yes many times and every single time it's been god awful garbage. Apparently I am missing some amazing period of their existence where they made music that did not make you want to drive your car into a tar pit. Enlighten me.

+1 YES SUCKS HUGE DONKEY DONG!!!
yaledelay
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby zom-zom on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:25 pm

No, there is no "best" song.

I think you should be required to get baked, put on headphones and start with the first album. There's some great shit on those first few albums. Oh yeah.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby jeff_fox on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:27 pm

Marsupialized wrote:Post me a link to the BEST Yes song, I wanna hear this. I have heard Yes many times and every single time it's been god awful garbage. Apparently I am missing some amazing period of their existence where they made music that did not make you want to drive your car into a tar pit. Enlighten me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELpmmeT69cE

seriously though, convincing someone who doesn't want to like Yes to like Yes is nearly impossible.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby eliya on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Marsupialized, Close to the Edge. It's like Noise Rock but with much better musicians.
eliya

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHsiP1aLqhU

This?

This sounds like 2 Rush albums and a Frank Zappa album being played at the same time.
Marsupialized

Postby barndog on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:33 pm

South Side Of The Sky is a good tune off of Fragile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvU6dttJb-k
barndog
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap