52%
No.
48%

Total votes : 116

Re: Band: YES

Postby eliya on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:34 pm

Marsupialized wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHsiP1aLqhU

This?

This sounds like 2 Rush albums and a Frank Zappa album being played at the same time.

Exactly what I said. Noise Rock but with better musicians.

Also, just listen to the whole thing.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:44 pm

eliya wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHsiP1aLqhU

This?

This sounds like 2 Rush albums and a Frank Zappa album being played at the same time.

Exactly what I said. Noise Rock but with better musicians.

Also, just listen to the whole thing.

I did, it's unpleasant jazzy nonsense, then a awful wimpy bullshit pop song that sounds like Phish mixed with 80's Rush and Toto at the end.
This is some of the worst music I have ever heard in my entire life and I want no part of it.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby kerble on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Marsupialized wrote:Post me a link to the BEST Yes song, I wanna hear this. I have heard Yes many times and every single time it's been god awful garbage. Apparently I am missing some amazing period of their existence where they made music that did not make you want to drive your car into a tar pit. Enlighten me.

"Heart of the Sunrise" is the one.

the intro riff is fantastic, the beat breakdown is perfect for sampling and would be something you might enjoy. it's an 11 minute song that wastes nothing, and if you don't fall a little on the inside when he sings "I feel lost in the city...." at around the six-minute mark, then maybe, Yes, Yes is dead to you.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby bigc on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:03 pm

kerble wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:Post me a link to the BEST Yes song, I wanna hear this. I have heard Yes many times and every single time it's been god awful garbage. Apparently I am missing some amazing period of their existence where they made music that did not make you want to drive your car into a tar pit. Enlighten me.

"Heart of the Sunrise" is the one.

the intro riff is fantastic, the beat breakdown is perfect for sampling and would be something you might enjoy. it's an 11 minute song that wastes nothing, and if you don't fall a little on the inside when he sings "I feel lost in the city...." at around the six-minute mark, then maybe, Yes, Yes is dead to you.
SO GOOD.
bigc
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Ok, I get it. You guys are joking, it's a big joke. Ha Ha. Very funny, let's pretend Yes was good, see if anyone falls for it.
Almost had me going there for a minute. Too funny, man.
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:23 pm

This wont help Soup, but I had never seen this "Sounding out" Program before... in fact I had never actually seen any footage of Bruford (besides some very old bits) with the band. While I really like watching this, its pretty funny some of the shit they say. Especially that part where Squire points out that their fans are quite knowledgeable about music gear, "Even some of the chicks..."

What's pretty awesome about this video is seeing the band actually playing live during the fragile days (which is footage I had never seen before), the fact that Wakeman has only genuine instruments on stage (real Moog synths, a genuine Hammond organ and even a real fuggin piano... even by the mid to late seventies he started using ghastly polyphonic synths), and Steve still has all the grit he seems to have gradually lost over the years.

Anyway, if you are a Yes geek (like I am revealing myself to be, apparently) this is worth checking out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEu9MLdk ... re=related
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby readandburn on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:34 pm

I like Bill Bruford and his drumming. Even he thought Yes was crap and left.
readandburn
saddam hussein
saddam hussein

Postby cak on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:45 pm

Yeah, I think "Heart of the Sunrise" is probably the first Yes song anyone should hear. The reason I started listening to Yes was because some friends of mine who were in an awesome screamo/math band used to jam on that tune during practice.

"South Side of the Sky" is good too....the harder rockin parts kinda remind me of Shellac. Just the feel of it, not the actual notes or anything.
cak
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby Speedie on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:36 pm

'Sup is the owner of a lonely heart, it seems.
Trey wrote:How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose.

https://www.madcapglobalmusic.com/album ... isycutters
Speedie
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:38 pm

cak wrote:Yeah, I think "Heart of the Sunrise" is probably the first Yes song anyone should hear. The reason I started listening to Yes was because some friends of mine who were in an awesome screamo/math band used to jam on that tune during practice.

"South Side of the Sky" is good too....the harder rockin parts kinda remind me of Shellac. Just the feel of it, not the actual notes or anything.

Yeah, I know the part you are talking about... The end "riff" which if played with a bit of some "boogy" could have been in classic Zeppelin territory.

That song and especially that record has a quality to it, a (dear lord I'm gonna say it) a "magic" if you will, that they really lost after CTTE. There is a real grit and fearlessness in regards to their playing, where even if the whole band can easily be labled as self indulgent, it still feels like there is no wasted moments, like kerble pointed out. It's busy but recorded in such a unique way... I still can plop in a chair and put on some old headphones and get tickled pink by something as overplayed as Roundabout. The bass bit, and the acoustic harmonics during the verse... Fun stuff.

But, you really need to be dealing with the original records, because I never really found them very good on live records or with their later tours...

What ever happened to Eddie Offord anyway... You never hear people talk about his engineering much, but for those two Yes records, at least, he pulled it off wonderfully.
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Bernardo on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:36 am

DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE wrote:What ever happened to Eddie Offord anyway... You never hear people talk about his engineering much, but for those two Yes records, at least, he pulled it off wonderfully.

He also did the first John McLaughlin record, and it sounds fantastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDb-CG8AeW8

The man:

http://nfte.org/interviews/EO234.html

http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/Eddie_Offord
Bernardo

Postby andteater on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:23 am

DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE wrote:This wont help Soup, but I had never seen this "Sounding out" Program before... in fact I had never actually seen any footage of Bruford (besides some very old bits) with the band. While I really like watching this, its pretty funny some of the shit they say. Especially that part where Squire points out that their fans are quite knowledgeable about music gear, "Even some of the chicks..."

What's pretty awesome about this video is seeing the band actually playing live during the fragile days (which is footage I had never seen before), the fact that Wakeman has only genuine instruments on stage (real Moog synths, a genuine Hammond organ and even a real fuggin piano... even by the mid to late seventies he started using ghastly polyphonic synths), and Steve still has all the grit he seems to have gradually lost over the years.

Anyway, if you are a Yes geek (like I am revealing myself to be, apparently) this is worth checking out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEu9MLdk ... re=related

i cannot thank you enough for posting this video.

i get not liking yes. especially anything after the first or second Alan White album, when things got really over indulgent. but like a few others have said in this thread, the first few albums (basically, everything during the Bruford era) is tasteful and heavy as shit.

that video shows them playing some really fucked up heavy prog and it is absolutely fantastic.

andyk
andteater

Postby 154 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:01 pm

Love all the stuff already mentioned in this thread. Great drumming, awesome bass sound, 'tasteful' riffing.. ok, the singing's kind of lame but whatever.

I want someone to request 'Starship Trooper' for karaoke, dammit.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby FuzzBob on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:54 am

I like some of the guitaring in "Starship Trooper."

The rest?

LEAVE IT.
FuzzBob

Postby Domagoj on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:39 pm

I like Fragile and Close to the Edge records, in their full wacky English glory. I am also very familiar with "Owner of a Lonely Heart" phenomenon. Will reserve some future lonely winter afternoons for other Bill Bruford Yes albums. With hot tea pot in sight. Yorkshire traditional tea bags.
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby Redline on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHsiP1aLqhU
One of the best guitar solos ever
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby 6079smith on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Ha, just put on Time and a Word that I got off my brother-in-law law gave me when he threw out his records and it's this cover, love the typeface:

My father had it on casette that we had to endure in the car but I prefered that cover:

what can I say terrible music but I enjoy it on some kind of annoy the hell out of people level.

I just got up to flip the record! Even the dog hates me for it! Big Hammond organ/orchestra intro! Dog howling!
6079smith
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby alex maiolo on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Marsupialized wrote:This?

And this sounds like Permanent Waves era Rush + ELP + Missing Persons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78BivgombIE

Possibly because they were joined by New Wave Super Duo the Buggles for this record.
I mean what the hell is going one here?
I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish. I will say that if you need any more proof that the 80's had an effect on all bands, look no further than this video. If it hit Yes, it hit everyone.

It's impressive that Squire can play like that and sing anything more than a grunt. That guy is an element of Yes that I really like. His Rickenbacker growl tone on this song sounds like post rock, Wm. David Sims approved tone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r89Sm-DckVc
Right at the 45 second mark it comes in. It's a great bass sound.

I'll give Yes a NC with huge waffles. 9.

I can do without Jon Anderson on many levels. His New Age ramblings and lack of virtuosity stands out when The Guys are tearing it up.
Rick Wakeman is playing two different Bach pieces with each hand while riffing on the Taurus pedals and playing a counter melody with his penis
...while you stand there and hit the tambourine on the one.
How do you sleep?

Even when Chris Squire cut his Rick into that funny shape and started wearing mumus the dude played cool bass lines. And his first band, The Syn, had a few great garagey songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56hI6B2X-5M

I don't care if I ever see Steve Howe make his "can't seem to get this poop out" guitar face again, and I'm not crazy about the envelope filter tone, but he's got some good lines and his first band, Tomorrow, had the best acid song of the 60's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62yWU4ryrgI

I get tired of Bruford's "rudiments practice while the band plays style." I prefer Alan White who, you know, plays the drums. They are both good though. Neutral vote.

The keyboard players. Ah yes...
Wakeman - Over the top, but confident. I can like or loathe him depending on my mood.
Tony Kaye - Sure. Played with Badfinger too. That's OK.
Geoff Downes - Now that's just weird (see above). One of the biggest WTF decisions in rock. Also paved the way for Asia to form so it went downhill form an already low point.

I like the Close To The Edge, Fragile and Yes Album period and wish I had instrumental tracks of them. Those alone give them a not crap even if the effluvia flows in with a vengeance with other records.

There's a crude joke from my high school years that compares mopeds to fat women.
"Both are fun to ride as long as your friends aren't looking," goes the punchline.
Tasteless, sure, but I apply the same logic when it comes to listening to Yes.
They can be a guilty pleasure and I secretly like quite a few of their tunes.
And there, I've just outed myself.

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo

Postby jeff_fox on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:36 pm

wrong. Anderson's voice is sweet and soothing. There is something to be said about getting the vocal phrasing right in some of their crazy time signatures. He doesn't have an easy job. I don't understand why there would be guilt associated with liking this band. Especially on this forum! They're gear nerds with impeccable songwriting and arranging skills. Some of the most exciting harmonies ever!
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby Redline on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:50 am

Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap