Burzum

Crap
41%
Not crap
59%

Total votes : 69

Re: Viking: Burzum

Postby jane_doe on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:59 am

Yah, doood, fookin', Varg is a wicked fookin' taaahhhd.
jane_doe
fan
fan

Postby J. Burns on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:24 pm

There were definitely some right-wing elements (and a lot of that can be attributed to the fact that a lot of these dudes were teenagers at the time, and teenagers are frequently idiots) to some of the Norwegian bands, but for the most part the wordwide BM scene was/is just dorks who liked to wear make-up and were fascinated by Tolkein and pagan mythology. A lot of these bands are/were staunchly apolitical.

That said, I still think Varg is kind of a dipshit and the Sid Vicious of Black Metal.
J. Burns
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby A Totem Pole on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:04 pm

///
Last edited by A Totem Pole on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Totem Pole
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby Kate Rev on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:39 pm

MrFood wrote:Y'know, what with him being a convicted murderer and everything, I kinda find that makes me somewhat reticent to listen to, much less pay for, his music.

But if it's your kinda thing, here's a link to download his entire new album for free.

You fucker.
Kate Rev
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby jeff_fox on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Kate Revitte wrote:
MrFood wrote:Y'know, what with him being a convicted murderer and everything, I kinda find that makes me somewhat reticent to listen to, much less pay for, his music.

But if it's your kinda thing, here's a link to download his entire new album for free.

You fucker.

We can still be friends, for sure, but this shit is wack. I don't get it. I throw around the term 'hooks' too much, as I consider some droney stuff like sleep and om to be full of 'hooks'. This stuff doesn't have whatever I think of as a 'hook'. It's like super dull, overused chord progressions with cringe inducing 'BINGGGGGGGGGGG' notes played on an awful keyboard, and some dude showing off his double kick skills. Still luv u tho.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Kate Rev on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:52 pm

it was fake
Kate Rev

Postby jeff_fox on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:57 pm

Kate Revitte wrote:it was fake

Oh- I didn't even listen to that link, I was just reiterating my previous opinion on the stuff I have already. I tried again, stoned. Maybe I'd like the music at that link better though.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby sunshine on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:35 am

Found a link to the actual Fallen lp. I like it a lot better then Belus.
sunshine
adjutant
adjutant

Postby Kate Rev on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 am

Really?

I gotta say I'm disappointed. It's too happy. Guess I'm not that into the folk metal elements, the chanting, and the power metal riffs. Maybe I'm way off in my initial perception here, but ..

*puts on "Burzum" (1992)*
Kate Rev

Postby krakabash on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:59 pm

The early Scandinavian scene was influenced by stuff like The Stupids, Cryptic Slaughter, and the regional Bathory.
It had a sense of humor, was fueled by adolescent drinking, and resulted in bands like Checker Patrol.
It was only after Earache started selling records that certian individuals felt the need to put on a more "evil" persona and start acting like nazi morons and neo-Odinists in an effort to compete with the musically superior Entombed. If a truely unique vocalist like Dead had stayed in Sweden and started fronting Nihilist, he would have had a backing band worthy of complimenting his talents. Had he avoided talentless media whore twats like Varg and Euronymous altogether, who knows what musical greatness could have been created.

http://www.myspace.com/checkerpatrol
krakabash

Postby timpickens on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:15 pm

I'm on track 3 of Fallen and I have to say, this album is blowing me away. Much better songwriting than on Belus. It's certainly a little more polished sounding.
timpickens
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby mazacultura on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:14 am

This turd just won't flush, will he?

I heard Belus. It was boring. Whatever, not like I paid for it. Maybe I'll listen to the new one. Maybe I'll forget about this murderous shithead for another half-decade. We'll see.
mazacultura
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Miel on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:41 am

You know when you split with a friend/partner/whatever and you just remember all the music they liked and you have this inexplicable, permanent mental link between the two?

Some guy I used to hang out with just idolized Burzum. Studied his interviews, wore similar clothes -- thankfully not the prison jumpsuit, but everything else was down-pat. I had no idea who Burzum was when I met this friend of mine, so I looked him up (Burzum, I mean).
First time I'd ever met a Neo-Nazi. Ahh, good times, but it didn't end well.

Actually, the music I don't mind so much. But it just reminds me of that guy. And really, if I can't be down with the artist, I just can't be a fan of the output. I can enjoy it superficially, but I can't truly enjoy it.
Sole proprietor of Celiac.
Bandcamp | Facebook | @celiacmusic | Weblog
Miel
star
star

Postby jane_doe on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:18 am

timpickens wrote:I'm on track 3 of Fallen and I have to say, this album is blowing me away. Much better songwriting than on Belus. It's certainly a little more polished sounding.

Stoked!

Kate Rev wrote:Really?

I gotta say I'm disappointed. It's too happy. Guess I'm not that into the folk metal elements, the chanting, and the power metal riffs. Maybe I'm way off in my initial perception here, but ..

Bummed!

What the hell is a waiting-for-the-used-copy-on-Amazon-because-he's-too-PC-to-give-Varg-his-money Burzum fan to do?

I liked Belus; should I buy this, or not? Help me, Burzum fans!

eb
jane_doe
fan
fan

Postby jane_doe on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:21 am

Miel wrote:You know when you split with a friend/partner/whatever and you just remember all the music they liked and you have this inexplicable, permanent mental link between the two?

Some guy I used to hang out with just idolized Burzum. Studied his interviews, wore similar clothes -- thankfully not the prison jumpsuit, but everything else was down-pat. I had no idea who Burzum was when I met this friend of mine, so I looked him up (Burzum, I mean).
First time I'd ever met a Neo-Nazi. Ahh, good times, but it didn't end well.

Actually, the music I don't mind so much. But it just reminds me of that guy. And really, if I can't be down with the artist, I just can't be a fan of the output. I can enjoy it superficially, but I can't truly enjoy it.

Can relate. That is tough.

Almost ruined Lungfish for me.

What I eventually realized, though, is that Lungfish fucking rules, and fuck her. Y'know?
jane_doe
fan
fan

Postby jane_doe on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:59 am

A Totem Pole wrote:I read k-punk once in a while; I usually find myself in disagreement with a lot of his music-related posts but I did enjoy the posts about Joy Division.

I really enjoyed his distinction between Morrissey and Ian Curtis. Right on the money.

A Totem Pole wrote:Dominic Fox, a colleague of Mark Fisher (the author behind k-punk), published a book entitled "Cold World" that delves into the same topic matter, but with more of a specific focus (I believe) on recent black metal (like Xasthur). I haven't read it but it's been on my list for a while. Here is a relevant link. His blog is good, too.

This book has been on my must-read list for a long time. I am a little scared of it, though, to be honest. I'm depressed enough, y'know, without delving into the theory of depression. But dude talks about Codeine in his introductory chapter, so yeah, I am sold.

A Totem Pole wrote:Their agenda is interesting and certainly seems more sincere than a lot of modern incarnations of the genre. I like how they sort of called out a lot of new black metal bands for their Baudrillardian appropriation of Norwegian black metal, who have mostly come to lack substance under the guise of tremolo picking and face paint. I enjoy reading their interviews.

Absolutely. One of the best interviews is here
jane_doe
fan
fan

Postby timpickens on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

jane_doe wrote:
timpickens wrote:I'm on track 3 of Fallen and I have to say, this album is blowing me away. Much better songwriting than on Belus. It's certainly a little more polished sounding.

Stoked!

Kate Rev wrote:Really?

Bummed!

What the hell is a waiting-for-the-used-copy-on-Amazon-because-he's-too-PC-to-give-Varg-his-money Burzum fan to do?

I liked Belus; should I buy this, or not? Help me, Burzum fans!

eb

Do you live in the states? I can mail you a copy.
timpickens

Postby punch_the_lion on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:05 am

I've been listening to the self titled release up to Filosofem a lot lately. Great stuff, even though I usually find the trappings of black metal to be pretty ridiculous. Too bad Varg Vikernes is such a scum bag.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Bernardo on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:50 pm

grim
Bernardo

Postby askii on Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:42 am

I was stupidly on the verge of weighing in on #CancelKingBuzzo but stopped myself when I remembered I still love Burzum up through Filosofem. It's complicated.
askii
julie from mod squad
julie from mod squad

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap