Burzum

Crap
41%
Not crap
59%

Total votes : 69

Re: Viking: Burzum

Postby M.H on Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:36 pm

First album: uses the Bathory template to generate a spooky vibe, but is still kinda goofy. Cringy vocals.

Second album: better, more intense and despairing, but the raw ingredients (Voivod, Candlemass, more Bathory) aren’t fully blended together.

The third and fourth records are incredible. Uniquely evocative. A new and distinctly European art form. The fact he’s an obnoxious psychopath will prevent him ever getting his due, but these records are something else.

The prison records are pretty good, considering their limitations. They’re better than a lot that post-Dead Can Dance / wussy neofolk stuff that Cold Meat Industries were pumping out at the same time (admittedly a very low bar).

Haven’t heard the post-prison records, though I saw a few of his Youtube videos before he got banned. He’s developed the fractured mindset that I associate with figures like David Icke or Ted Kaczynski – an ideology built of uncountable prisms, able to refract the world into the way he wants to see it. Fascinating in small doses, kinda unhealthy to spend too long engaging with.

N.C for the amazing third and fourth records. Check them out, even if you have very little time for extreme metal.
M.H
lt. sharon 'boomer' valerii
lt. sharon 'boomer' valerii

Postby oZZma on Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:54 am

I listened to Filosofem for the first time. Not bad, but IMO a bit boring after a while. Lacks of effective "tension" building, although I appreciate the overall atmosphere.
vade retro Santana
oZZma
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby jakethesnake on Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:44 am

Crap. Dude sounded like he was making metal aimed at arm-cutting goths who had outgrown their idols and was looking for something more "edgy". (Almost) NOTHING I like about metal can be found in his music even if there are some good Celtic Frost and doom- type riffs on the second album (that's the "almost" part) which is the only one I like; "Det som engang var" and "Filosofem" are tedious records. Also, in retrospect, his vocals sound like "screamo", same with Emperor which was another shitty band. Darkthrone (yay!), Immortal and Mayhem on "Deathcrush" and "De mysteriis..." is what I like from that era/movement, the rest can go jump into a lake/fjord. Don't even get me started on the swedish bands like Dark Funeral and Marduk (exception for the first two; those were good).

That said, I regret selling Burzums debut CD within a week of picking it up used; that crap is going for ridiculous amount on discogs and ebay nowadays-cound have bought a family vacation for that money. Oh well...
jakethesnake
hemingway
hemingway

Postby tarandfeathers on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:22 am

Relistened to Filosofem recently, still nothing quite like it I don't think. There are other records by less reprehensible people that are as good, but they scratch different itches. The guy is a grade A bellhop but it isn't going to (or at least apparently doesn't) stop me getting something out of that record.
Don't shun it. Fun it.
tarandfeathers
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Pasta on Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:05 pm

tarandfeathers wrote:Relistened to Filosofem recently, still nothing quite like it I don't think. There are other records by less reprehensible people that are as good, but they scratch different itches. The guy is a grade A bellhop but it isn't going to (or at least apparently doesn't) stop me getting something out of that record.

I feel the exact same way about "Aske".
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Dudley on Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:57 am

tarandfeathers wrote:The guy is a grade A bellhop

Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby kokorodoko on Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:08 am

For some reason I have passed over Burzum entirely. I listened to Filosofem for the first time recently. This record is everything I like in black metal (and it's probably a fair guess that those other bands that do that thing I like take Burzum as their starting point).

I admire the restraint and the confidence of the composition. Several phrases (if that's the right term) sound similar in structure to ideas that I would spontaneously come up with when playing. Only difference is that I would think those sounded inept or needed "something more" because other people wouldn't like them or whatever, even if they were satisfying to me personally.

His approach to composing and recording is interesting and inspiring. "Just get the shit done", kind of. I could definitely learn a thing or two from that.

The synthesizers are actually the weakest part of the album. They sound kind of lazy and tacked on. In contrast to those on Hvis Lyset Tar Oss.
VaticanShotglass wrote:In elementary school some kids learned my middle name was Conrad, which they took to be synonymous with what Soviets called each other in action movies.
kokorodoko
tired of birds
tired of birds

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap