home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: Alice in Chains

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Alice in Chains

CRAP
68
54%
NOT CRAP
58
46%
 
Total votes : 126

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby jimmy spako on Fri May 22, 2015 4:36 pm

i may snuff the rooster compulsively, but i do not feel the need to listen to alice in chains.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
User avatar
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5177
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:49 am
Location: schnitzel circuit

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby placeholder on Fri May 22, 2015 6:18 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:
placeholder wrote:A lot of other cock-rock bands coincidentally had this same natural development around the same time.


[T]heir shift out of hair metal happened well before labels were involved.


I wouldn't dream of arguing that. I assume that their shift out of hair metal, such as it was, happened because they didn't get any label interest playing that stuff. They went "grunge" to get signed and cash in, and it worked. If it hadn't, they'd have probably reemerged after a couple of years sounding like Nine Inch Nails or whatever the next thing was.
User avatar
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8053
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 pm

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby numberthirty on Fri May 22, 2015 6:21 pm

That they even "went grunge" is sorta funny. Once I have a minute....
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 20457
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri May 22, 2015 9:21 pm

placeholder wrote:
Wood Goblin wrote:
placeholder wrote:A lot of other cock-rock bands coincidentally had this same natural development around the same time.


[T]heir shift out of hair metal happened well before labels were involved.


I wouldn't dream of arguing that. I assume that their shift out of hair metal, such as it was, happened because they didn't get any label interest playing that stuff. They went "grunge" to get signed and cash in, and it worked. If it hadn't, they'd have probably reemerged after a couple of years sounding like Nine Inch Nails or whatever the next thing was.


Could be, but to be honest, it always just sounded like metal to me. Their first record came out before Pearl Jam, for instance, even existed.

I was about to write more before I realized that I'm defending Alice in Chains. As bad as they were, they never struck me as particularly opportunistic or cynical. Jerry Cantrell was likely making the kind of music he wanted to make: frowny-face metal.
User avatar
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet
 
Posts: 5871
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:43 pm
Location: South Loop, Chicago

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby jakethesnake on Sat May 23, 2015 2:35 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:Could be, but to be honest, it always just sounded like metal to me. Their first record came out before Pearl Jam, for instance, even existed.

I was about to write more before I realized that I'm defending Alice in Chains. As bad as they were, they never struck me as particularly opportunistic or cynical. Jerry Cantrell was likely making the kind of music he wanted to make: frowny-face metal.


Yeah, I was actually reading mainstream metal mags like Kerrang, Metal Hammer and Metal Forces (GREAT!) at the time and they all covered AIC and while it may have taken a while for "Facelift" to take off, the target audiences was metal-heads and noone else before the shitstorm that followed "Nevermind"; they were not jumping on a fad even if I suspect they were self-consciously drawing from the more "underground"/punk/indie aesthetics of their Seattle peers like Nirvana and even Soundgarden (the latter were obviously marketed towards metal-crowds at the ime but even "Louder than Love" was far removed from both mainstream *and* underground ideas of metal at the time which I don't think "Facelift" was even if it was stretching it). Actually, some of cobains vocal-harmonies on "Bleach"-"Sifting" in particular-STRONGLY points towards AIC...

Anyway, I was all about thrash, death and grindcore at the time as well as hardcore and post-hardcore and slowly getting into various other forms of US indie in the same era so AIC just struck me as a butt-rock band when "Facelift" dropped; heavier than the norm, sure, and darker but still... a good deal of the songs on that record wears the buttrock vibe on their sleeves, you can even hear it on "Dirt" ("Dam that river" especially)...

Sidenote: I wonder how important their placement on the Clash of the Titans tour was in terms of breaking them big with metalheads? In *that* company, I guess most of the audiences viewed them as weak but what do I know, I was in sweden...
jakethesnake
crate
crate
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby numberthirty on Sat May 23, 2015 2:45 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:2. Their shift happened when Jerry Cantrell joined the band. They recorded at least one demo with him, and the sound was markedly different. Darker but still metal. The hair stuff is completely gone by this point. In other words, their shift out of hair metal happened well before labels were involved.


Alice N' Chains and Alice In Chains share one member. Trying to make the case that there is some sort of a "shift" when the bands basically have nothing to do with each other doesn't make much sense.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 20457
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby cneutron on Sat May 23, 2015 3:09 pm

Not exactly sure why I clicked this link but this whole thread was quite a surprise. I feel like this was a band that was, at their top dollar best, mostly harmless. Chamber of Dead Souls harmonies and all. "Would" is a better song than I remembered.

I actually tracked down "rooster" unplugged too, just to see if it was as bad as Rboyer made it out to be.

Pretty rough.

That is some straight up soft serve, coffee house nonsense without the volume.
Not so hot with the volume either.

From the you tube comments:

I Luv this track but it reminds me of a massive shit I once had.

That rooster wouldn't die.


very well then! On that note... I will say:
CRAP.
User avatar
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4472
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:33 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby numberthirty on Sat May 23, 2015 3:11 pm

A couple of years ago my brother played a benefit at a custom motorcycle shop to raise money for a local high school's "work/study" program. Dudes cranked "Got Me Wrong" in between bands.

It holds up.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 20457
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby placeholder on Sat May 23, 2015 4:08 pm

numberthirty wrote:
Wood Goblin wrote:2. Their shift happened when Jerry Cantrell joined the band. They recorded at least one demo with him, and the sound was markedly different. Darker but still metal. The hair stuff is completely gone by this point. In other words, their shift out of hair metal happened well before labels were involved.


Alice N' Chains and Alice In Chains share one member. Trying to make the case that there is some sort of a "shift" when the bands basically have nothing to do with each other doesn't make much sense.


Maybe they were less mercenary than I thought, then! They're still complete CRAP.
User avatar
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8053
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 pm

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby M.H on Sun May 24, 2015 1:17 pm

jakethesnake wrote: Sidenote: I wonder how important their placement on the Clash of the Titans tour was in terms of breaking them big with metalheads? In *that* company, I guess most of the audiences viewed them as weak but what do I know, I was in sweden...


They were shoehorned on the bill last minute to replace Death Angel and it was a bit of a disaster: nobody gave a shit, regularly booed off stage, etc etc. But a lot of my proper metal friends really rate Facelift as their favourite AIC record these days.

Facelift went gold by the end of 1990, but I think a good chunk their audience came from the same crowd who were listening to Faith No More, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction; you know, mersh metal, but with an alternative flavour to the Hollywood hair stuff.
M.H
kofi annan
kofi annan
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby tbone on Sun May 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Man, I dare anyone to sit through "Angry Chair" without laughing. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I barely made it until the vocals came in. HEYYYYYYYYYYYYY
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
User avatar
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4741
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Chicago Proper

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby jeff_fox on Sun May 24, 2015 5:29 pm

I like a lot of the stuff I know, and I'm able to easily ignore the rest. Alice in Chains is NOT CRAP!
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
User avatar
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7407
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby tbone on Sun May 24, 2015 6:18 pm

jeff_fox wrote:I like a lot of the stuff I know, and I'm able to easily ignore the rest. Alice in Chains is NOT CRAP!


I did not see this one coming.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
User avatar
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4741
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Chicago Proper

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby The Het on Sun May 24, 2015 8:29 pm

Dirt is a pretty amazing metal album. I still love it.

I probably listen to Facelift more, skipping past the unfortunate funk-metal experiments.

After that, they fucking stunk.

I will give them a Not Crap because dude totally went on MTV Unplugged sans teeth.
User avatar
The Het
mother superior
mother superior
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:31 am

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sun May 24, 2015 10:06 pm

I really liked dirt in middle school when I was still dubbing tapes from my uncle's music, which was mostly metal. The highlights were AC/DC and early Metalica, which I had mined by 4th grade. The rest was mostly hair metal, so Dirt felt like quite the good find. But soon I got into Sabbath and Zeppelin and in a few years punk and stuff. I remember Dirt being in the rotation of music I listened to while playing Doom II. I never did find Motörhead.
User avatar
VaticanShotglass
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2363
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby BClark on Mon May 25, 2015 11:33 am

Y'all are entitled to your opinions but it's kind of silly to hear folks here saying things like "they were never really part of the grunge scene"... that "scene" is of course just a marketing term, and as cynical as it may have been for aic to be sold like that, we can say the
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Our song Poison has a video.
User avatar
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3093
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:29 pm
Location: nomadic

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby BClark on Mon May 25, 2015 11:38 am

Damn my phone won't let me edit posts. Just saying we could say the same thing about other bands of that era. Even sonic youth and the Melvins tried their hand at major label marketese. As for AIC themselves, their music has more than stood the test of time to my ears. and as for their genre, like I said I don't know if "grunge" even exists outside Hollywood marketing, and AIC will always be a metal band to me.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Our song Poison has a video.
User avatar
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3093
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:29 pm
Location: nomadic

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby Wood Goblin on Mon May 25, 2015 2:54 pm

BClark wrote:Y'all are entitled to your opinions but it's kind of silly to hear folks here saying things like "they were never really part of the grunge scene"... that "scene" is of course just a marketing term.


No, it really wasn't, at least not for several years. Several bands rejected the label because, like all labels, it's a bit reductive. But it was a real thing.

A bunch of bands shared certain sonic qualities, played the same small venues in the same city, appeared on the same record labels, traded members, and attended each other's shows. Every quality present in a "scene" was present in Seattle in the late 80s. There was nothing cynical or inorganic about it.

Meanwhile, across town, Layne Staley was spraying Aqua-Net in his hair and singing about boinking hot chix. He wasn't opening for Green River.
User avatar
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet
 
Posts: 5871
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:43 pm
Location: South Loop, Chicago

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby J. Burns on Mon May 25, 2015 3:31 pm

First album is like they wanted to be a darker G'N'R. I guess in 1990 there were worse things a band could attempt. Unfortunately dated. This album sucks.

Second album has a few decent riffs and Would? Is an undeniable jam, but even a blind chicken finds a kernel of corn now and then. I revisited it recently and it's pretty much a concept album about how awesome heroin is. Fucking stupid.
User avatar
J. Burns
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4585
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Band: Alice in Chains

Postby morespaceecho on Mon May 25, 2015 4:32 pm

M.H wrote:They were shoehorned on the bill last minute to replace Death Angel


why'd death angel leave the tour? do we have a c/nc for them? cause they are decidedly not crap.

like everyone else, i think 'would' is a great tune. especially that riff at the end. 'no excuses' is ok too except for that damn overly notey drum clinic beat. the rest...nah. although when they come on the radio i'm usually inclined to leave it....there are far worse things....but ms morespace generally overrules me and away they go.
morespaceecho
mike piazza
mike piazza
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crustandcrumb, Google [Bot] and 13 guests