June Of '44?

CRAP
12%
NOT CRAP
88%

Total votes : 99

Postby mr.arrison on Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:38 pm

Pretty good live band.

I like the guitar interplay. I did the crappy Fender Mustang fuzz guitars. This is easily the most interesting thing about the band IMO. Pling pling, RAOAAAArw, zing zing whoooooooie.

Doug Scharin tunes his snare drum weird. His drumming, while very good, smells like doobie. He's like a partially restrained & dub Damon Che.

The bass playing is alright.

The songs, are mostly OK. They are great when they aren't speak-singing about being AT SEA or being a sailor on a ship or whatever. I wish I could have a karoake machine to remove this aspect of the band.

I didn't like anything past Sharks & Sailors. And even that album kind of gets on the my nerves a bit.

I'll say not Crap.
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby JDanger on Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:31 pm

Everyone here probably has their own version of that one band that kind of transformed them from a casual listener of music into an obsessed and deranged dork. For me June of 44 was that one band. After I first heard Engine Takes to Water it became a new standard by which I judged all other music, and still to this day "Have a Safe Trip, Dear" is one of the finest tracks put to tape, by my judgement. All in all, though I'd have to say Tropics and Meridians is their finest record front to back. That's the one I always recommend to those out of the know. Four Great Points had some great moments, but too many improvised excursions to be their greatest. Anatomy of Sharks is a strong EP, and their In the Fishtank was decent. As far as Anahata is concerned, I'm proud that the band decided to explore something new. Maybe it didn't quite work out for the best, but people like me tend to think of June of 44's records like a mother thinks of her own children. Besides, the opening "Wear Two Eyes" track is a killer, especially live.

Not Crap.
JDanger
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby CJMcG on Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:41 pm

I don't think I ever heard Anahata while not in a smoky haze.
I remember it being really weird and that's all I remember.
CJMcG
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby JDanger on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:14 pm

Anahata in a smokey haze = Not Crap, for sure.

But I think most people had a problem with the vocal stylings on the record. They were deliberately slightly out of-tune, with this strange harmony that almost sounded smarmy, in a way. I didn't have so much of a problem with the vocals. I was just less thrilled about the record's intentional drift towards pop and away from the heavy.
JDanger
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby sack of smashed assholes on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:27 pm

just like a sailor. just like a sailor. just like a sailor. just like a sailor.

JDanger wrote:Anahata in a smokey haze = Not Crap, for sure.

I love most of that record, I could do with out a couple songs, but I think the drumming might be the most interesting thing about the record. it's sort of got a tropical feeling.

I really like the shipping news as well. I could probably listen to the intro to "haymaker" for rest of my life, and untitled w/ drums simple, and brilliant.

boat rock 4 life

ahoy!
sack of smashed assholes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby TheMilford on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:39 pm

Great band. Great Live.

Picked up the first record shortly after it came out because it featured Fred from The Crownhate Ruin.

Saw them twice. Once on the Four Great Points tour and at there supposed last show at the Bowery Ballroom.

When Jeff sang/yelled the opening to "Annisette" he just stood at the edge of the stage and belted it at the audience sans mic. Awesome!

Great guitar sounds. Great grooves. Beautiful production (thanks Bob)

I Like all of thier albums equally for different reasons but find myself listening to four great points the most...

Not Crap
0 waffles
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby The Code is Almighty on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:49 pm

Did anyone else think Haberdasher sounded exactly like June of 44?
jimmy two hands wrote:You can tell someone is a Grade-A asshole if the Muppets don't like them.
The Code is Almighty
Capofamiglia

Postby JDanger on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:44 pm

The Code is Almighty wrote:Did anyone else think Haberdasher sounded exactly like June of 44?

Ha! They definitely both ransacked Spiderland's better ideas, which is absolutely fine by me, but I think they both did so in unique ways. Each band kind of customized their influence I suppose. Plus June of 44 never went so dark or macabre as Haberdasher went on their record. That first track on Songs on Love seems way too 'spooky' for J. Mueller. Jeff seems to like his records always with periodic intervals of whimsy, Songs didn't really have that, or much of any vocal melodies at all, really. So, no I don't think so. But the poetry whispering and some of the riffage certainly point toward a common ancestor.
JDanger
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby Jeremy B on Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:32 am

Saw them many (4) times, thanks to college. The only band I can think of whose opening act blew them out of the water every time. Godheadsilo, Dianogah, & Ten Grand (then Vida Blue), made June of 44 sound, well, small, at best. The only time their opening band didn't blow them away was when, the bass player's band, the Boom, opened for them. That band, not so good.

However, Tropics & Meridians and Anatomy of Sharks are pretty good. Anyway, they easily fall in the 'meh' category for me.

-Jeremy
Jeremy B
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby gjhardwick on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:02 am

Engine Takes To The Water is still a favourite of mine
gjhardwick
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:31 pm

I just got into this band around jan. and they're really good. I tend to only listen to them at night time when I'm stoned, but good reguardless.

Even though it's pretty obvious Slint is a major influence in their music.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Somnambulist on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:45 pm

I saw them live on the Anahata tour and I was really disappointed because I thought they were terrible and expected so much more. I loved everything up to Anahata but after seeing them live I just found myself liking them less and less. Definitely NC for the first four releases.
Somnambulist
arrow of light
arrow of light

Postby tinycorkscrew on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:02 am

I really liked the lives shows I went to.

The best one was when the opened for Uzeda at Empty Bottle, some time between Four Great and Anahata.

"Sanctioned in a Birdcage" just killed that night.
tinycorkscrew
cats
cats

Postby LBx on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:23 am

JDanger wrote:Tropics and Meridians

great album from what i remember. it's been a long time though...

for that, NC.
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby ironyengine on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:30 am

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:I just got into this band around jan. and they're really good. I tend to only listen to them at night time when I'm stoned, but good reguardless.

I like this "even though" phrase. It's so innocuously thrown into sentences to produce a kind of half-hearted dig at things.

To say a band is good "even though" they were influenced by Slint. So funny.
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine

Postby ghosting on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:13 pm

aw, i like anahata. not amazing but i don't think it's crap.
lemur68 wrote:Bees make honey. That's what they do. Make honey, protect the queen, have sex with flowers, and occasionally rip their butt out after stinging a motherfucker.
ghosting
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Re: Band: June Of '44

Postby Ernest on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:32 pm

Bump of '44.

Sorry.

I really got into this band over the couple of weeks. Anahata is what sucked me in, actually. I was already a fan of their myriad previous bands, so I don't why it took me so long.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Re:

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:41 pm

ironyengine wrote:
AnthonyVillalobos wrote:I just got into this band around jan. and they're really good. I tend to only listen to them at night time when I'm stoned, but good reguardless.

I like this "even though" phrase. It's so innocuously thrown into sentences to produce a kind of half-hearted dig at things.

To say a band is good "even though" they were influenced by Slint. So funny.

Not that funny. But whatever gets your hole wet, shoot for it.

I like Slint.

Even though June of 44 copped a lot of their style from them.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby crustandcrumb on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:58 pm

Engine Takes to the Water is a pretty timeless classic in my opinion.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby mattw on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:25 am

crustandcrumb wrote:Engine Takes to the Water is a pretty timeless classic in my opinion.

Fun fact: It was recorded by James Murphy (LCD Soundsystem guy). Didn't believe it was the same James Murphy until some serious internets digging. Sure enough, some guys named Albinzi and Wasston helped get his studio off the ground. So if you hate LCD Soundsystem, blame them.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap