C/NC: Napalm Death

CURRRGGGGHHAAAAAAAAPP
4%
NOTCURRRGGGGHHAAAAAAAAPP
96%

Total votes : 68

Re: Grind-daddies: Napalm Death

Postby Robot McGearman on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:42 am

http://www.theweek.co.uk/music/52089/victoria-and-albert-museum-napalm-death-gig

Napalm Death = Not crap. :WF: 3 for their most recent output.
Robot McGearman
rose royce
rose royce

Postby Tommy Alpha on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:46 am

Oh dag. Well, at least I don't feel bad I didn't get tickets now...
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby B_M_L on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:43 am

I would have loved to have seen this exchange between the sound guy and a worried V&A Manager -

Napalm Death's singer, Mark 'Barney' Greenway, told The Times he was not entirely surprised by the V&A's decision to pull the plug. "They [the museum] started asking the sound guy fairly nervously: 'What will the volume be like?' He was like, 'What can I tell you? They make a lot of noise'."
B_M_L
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Rémy on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:54 am

It seems like a normal volume to me.
Even though it ultimately did not happen, the idea was good I think. I hope they can achieve doing this in the future.
Rémy
freelance gynaecologist
freelance gynaecologist

Postby B_M_L on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:17 am

Rémy wrote:It seems like a normal volume to me...

Volume load enough to make clay sculptures explode is normal? Rémy I can't imagine what you consider to be loud.

I hope they find another venue too. It siunds like an excellent idea for a collaboration
B_M_L

Postby Rémy on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:37 am

I was a bit sarcastic and I must confess I always wear ear protection. At least when it's possible.
The last show I did was incredibly loud, I was near the loudspeakers and the protection I brought were falling every minute. So I had to hear it "natural" and I got tinnitus during 24hours.

But I'm a bit curious about the amount of volume it need to destroy sculpture. 120dB must be a good point to start but I'm not sure.
Rémy
freelance gynaecologist
freelance gynaecologist

Postby H.O.R.S on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:39 pm

They've released too much good stuff to put them in crap. I've seen them twice, both times putting on a good show. The second show Barney went on stage with his fly open and a guy in the front row zipped it up for him.
H.O.R.S
padre
padre

Postby Boombats on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:07 am

phpBB [media]
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Joelk on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:16 pm

Got my tickets for the St. Paul show. Very very excited.
Joelk
adjutant
adjutant

Postby Plastic Eggs on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:40 pm

One of my very favorite bands. The string of releases since "Enemy..." have been absolutely brutal and fantastic in their consistency. They blow away just about every band working in the idiom of death/grind/whatever. Never Crap. I can even dig on the groove grind stuff they did in the later 90s.
Plastic Eggs
gus hansen
gus hansen

Postby pistonjim on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:26 am

Brown Town wrote:
Megadeth audiences in '85 were wild while ND audiences in '91 were just sort of acting wild

You sure about that?

https://kevinestrada.wordpress.com/2008 ... nger-tour/

As soon as Napalm’s fury began, so did the gang’s. Violent and bloody fights were breaking out everywhere. My roommate was in the balcony watching the fights from above – he couldn’t believe his eyes. There was nothing that the club security could do – the violence was way to extreme and it was in every corner of the room. They had no choice but to frantically call the police, otherwise it was not just gang members who were going to get hurt.

Just before the police stormed the venue, a huge pile-up broke out on the floor – right in the middle of the mosh-pits. Yes, unbelievably, the mosh pits continued, even during the gang violence – amazing! Almost in unison, all the gangsters jumped off of the pile and stood in a circle. The circle quickly opened and out came a slow, stumbling man. He was shirtless and dripping wet with sweat. People began pointing fingers at the man and jaws began to drop. Then I saw it. The man’s stomach was sliced wide open – the only thing holding his belly together was his hand. His innards began to poke out of the gaping, bloody wound – he shoved them back in with his left hand. I had never seen anything like it. Then, to make things even more unbelievable, he started jumping up and down and then he started running around the club and “high-fiveing” people with his right hand as he held his guts in with his left hand. Perhaps he was smoking some of that Angel Dust that was going around that night.
pistonjim
troll
troll

Postby taylor swiftboat orgy on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:49 am

Some may argue Repulsion or Siege as the Grind-Daddy but as I never saw records from either one til utube I'm fine with giving Napalm Death the Captain's chair. They are the Melvins of grind.
Not to mention I always appreciated the political content of their lyrics.
Not crap.

phpBB [media]

will be seeing them on the 3rd for the 3rd time.
taylor swiftboat orgy
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby cjh on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:11 am

I collaborated with founding ND member Nic Bullen last weekend, diffusing our piece built from found sounds and manipulated domestic recordings at the awesome BEASTdome at Birmingham University, a fully immersive electro-acoustic theatre with over thirty configurable speakers. This was a terrific experience and, if modesty allows, an absolute triumph. Nic remains one of the most knowledgeable people I know and seems to have an illimitable appetite for all music, super great guy. The only element of weirdness was the slightly well-heeled, very polite audience soaking up our racket.

cjh
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby M.H on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:30 am

The first 2 Peel sessions are perfect. Five fucking stars. All the early grind stuff is great, but the Peel sessions are so well recorded and it gives them a legitimacy that the albums lack. That music is some of the most inventive, energetic and inspiring music this country has ever produced.

Most of their catalogue after the glory days sounds oddly transitional, and while that urge is admirable, they never sound like they fully thought out where they were going. Harmony Corruption should have been a world beater on paper, but it's a dull listen to this day.

Having said that, I think Fear, Emptiness, Despair and Enemy Of The Music Business hit more than they miss.

N.C.
M.H
kofi annan
kofi annan

Postby sulfur)addict on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:14 pm

Fear, Emptiness, Despair is actually the one I go to the most. But I'm a bigger fan of 90's metal than i am of grindcore, so I guess that just makes sense.

Either way, solid Not Crap.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Adam Sr on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:35 am

Adam Sr

Postby Major on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:44 am

I saw them on Saturday with Voivod(!) Stood at the front of the stage the whole time. I headbanged. Took several boots to the head from stage divers/crowd surfers. Forgot to wear earplugs. Took 3 showers yesterday. Still not feeling right. Totally worth it.

The new record is great.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby ErikG on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:57 pm

Which lineup(s) is/are on 'Grind Madness at the BBC'?

Edited to add: NC.
ErikG
franklin from peanuts
franklin from peanuts

Postby M.H on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:45 pm

ErikG wrote:Which lineup(s) is/are on 'Grind Madness at the BBC'?

Edited to add: NC.

There's 3 sessions on that collection.

Sessions 1 & 2 have the From Enslavement... line-up of Dorrian, Steer, Embury and Harris. These are blinding, the best grind / extreme metal / whatever that you'll ever hear.

The third session has a weird transitional line-up with Barney, Jesse (but not Mitch yet) on guitar, Embury and Harris. They mostly play older material and don't do a great job.

There is a 4th BBC session (not with Peel, I think) that was recorded around the time of Diatribes that was included on some other collection. It's forgettable.

N.D = N.C
M.H
kofi annan
kofi annan

Postby ErikG on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:53 pm

I thank you FM M.H.
ErikG
franklin from peanuts
franklin from peanuts

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap