Band: Sleater-Kinney

Crap?
27%
Not Crap?
73%

Total votes : 164

Re: Band: Sleater-Kinney

Postby Tom Laskin on Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:11 pm

Energetic players, songs that have a recognizable dramatic/sonic arc, a "sound" that was pretty much instantly recognizable. I'm missing the "crap" part.
Tom Laskin
viscount
viscount

Postby samizdat on Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:55 pm

Definitely NC, but the hagiographic stuff in the midst of their resurgence is getting a tad insufferable.
I do not want to choose between
the right and wrong sides of the world,
and I do not like a choice to be made.—Albert Camus
samizdat
district attourney
district attourney

Postby norse_code on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:30 am

samizdat wrote:Definitely NC, but the hagiographic stuff in the midst of their resurgence is getting a tad insufferable.

I had to look up the meaning of "hagiography," but I totally agree. Shit like this.
norse_code
sargent shriver
sargent shriver

Postby aldofarian on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:30 am

After a few listens, I'm beginning to like the new record. A lot of the promotion guff they have done (like the above youtube video) nearly put me off entirely.

It's good hearing Tucker's bellow again.
mort pété
aldofarian
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby taylor swiftboat orgy on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:14 am

norse_code wrote:
samizdat wrote:Definitely NC, but the hagiographic stuff in the midst of their resurgence is getting a tad insufferable.

I had to look up the meaning of "hagiography," but I totally agree. Shit like this.

WTF, so this crap (not the band [nc], but the hagiographic fawning) has been building since 2006!

If any of you read that article FM Norse Code so kindly provided you may also feel inclined to say
phpBB [media]

or if not the Ramones, maybe about, at a bare minimum and this is more than generous, 50 other possible bands that qualify as the best American Punk Rock band b4 you even sniff Sleater-Kinney. Mr. Sheffield [writer], u must be the fan who'll win that Sleater-Kinney mirror if it fucking kills u.
taylor swiftboat orgy
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby amar on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:10 am

taylor swiftboat orgy wrote:
norse_code wrote:

WTF, so this crap (not the band [nc], but the hagiographic fawning) has been building since 2006!

If any of you read that article FM Norse Code so kindly provided you may also feel inclined to say
phpBB [media]

or if not the Ramones, maybe about, at a bare minimum and this is more than generous, 50 other possible bands that qualify as the best American Punk Rock band b4 you even sniff Sleater-Kinney. Mr. Sheffield [writer], u must be the fan who'll win that Sleater-Kinney mirror if it fucking kills u.

The band earns a NC vote from me, but with a WF of 9 for being worshipped as saviors

We have arrived at the critical reappraisal and celebrated comeback of music's most revered feminist saviors of American rock'n'roll. It is 2015 and we are staring down Sleater-Kinney's wise eighth album—exactly 50 years removed from the birth of "R-e-s-p-e-c-t", exactly 40 years removed from the birth of Horses, exactly 30 years removed from when Kim Gordon first yells "brave men run away from me" in the Mojave desert, exactly 20 years removed from Sleater-Kinney, a primal, insurrectionist warning shot from the margins. Ever since, we have had Corin Tucker, Carrie Brownstein, and Janet Weiss to soundtrack our societal chaos and progressing zeitgeist: tangled agitation, pummeled norms, principled wit, sublimity, sadness, friction, kicks.
amar
casio
casio

Postby tmidgett on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:15 am

Not into it. I can appreciate the reasons people like it, but I don't like listening to their music.

Didn't like 'em live.

Just never added up to anything for me, and most of the music actively bugs me.

I'm probably missing something. Like a gene.

Certainly overhyped, at least lately.

Crap, w/o a whole lot of conviction about it.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:45 am

norse_code wrote:

Jesus, that Rolling Stone article reads like a clickbait site. All they need to do to modernize it is to break it into three pages and throw in 500 ads about stomach fat and celebrity gossip.

They are a really great band, and like any great band there will be superfans who proclaim them the best thing EVAR and don't understand how anyone else could think otherwise. I might be in that camp had I gotten into them back in the nineties rather than in the past 2 years and had the capability of looking through a lens of nostalgia.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby drcroc on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:55 am

I actually find it difficult to listen (or should i say, "endure") most of their record "The Woods." This may be a production issue... though, without that production would they be the same band?

Who produced their new record and is it worth listening to?
drcroc
carl sagan
carl sagan

Postby J. Burns on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:04 pm

drcroc wrote:I actually find it difficult to listen (or should i say, "endure") most of their record "The Woods." This may be a production issue... though, without that production would they be the same band?

Not sure who did their new one, but "The Woods" is an outlier in their catalog. Most of their records have a pretty straightforward sound. I think John Goodmanson did most of them.

Great band, NC no WF. I agree the hagiographic (thanks FM samizdat) fawning can be a little much, but they were massively important to women and queers, a lot of whom also loved the Ramones but couldn't connect to them as deeply as they could to S-K.

S-K is THEIR band and helped a lot of people find a place of their own in the punk community, so I'm willing to indulge some folks that go a little bit banoodles for them.
Last edited by J. Burns on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J. Burns
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby drcroc on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:07 pm

J. Burns wrote:
drcroc wrote:I actually find it difficult to listen (or should i say, "endure") most of their record "The Woods." This may be a production issue... though, without that production would they be the same band?

Not sure who did their new one, but "The Woods" is an outlier in thair catalog. Most of their records have a pretty straightforward sound. I think John Goodmanson did most of them.

Great band, NC no WF. I agree the hagiographic (thanks FM samizdat) fawning can be a little much, but they were massively important to women and queers, a lot of whom also loved the Ramones but couldn't connect to them as deeply as they could to S-K.

S-K is THEIR band and helped a lot of people find a place of their own in the punk community, so I'm willing to indulge some folks that go a little bit banoodles for them.

Ooooh John Goodmanson. He's pretty good.
drcroc
carl sagan
carl sagan

Postby tallchris on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:12 pm

drcroc wrote:
J. Burns wrote:

Not sure who did their new one, but "The Woods" is an outlier in thair catalog. Most of their records have a pretty straightforward sound. I think John Goodmanson did most of them.

Ooooh John Goodmanson. He's pretty good.

He did the new one too.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby tupelo moan on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:08 pm

I've also been quite disturbed by the massive amount of asskissing displayed these few past weeks. Specially considering their "return" is not THAT exciting. By reading all the articles and compliments one would think they were this huge band back in the day. They broke up not too long ago, also. And the new album isn't all that great. I'll give it a pass, though, considering they prolly need to get their gears running.

I like their music fine but the publicity put me off quite a bit.
tupelo moan
ward boss
ward boss

Postby timpickens2 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:01 pm

I'm looking forward to picking up the new album and if the Atlanta show doesn't sell out soon (it probably will) and I have the money (I probably wont), I'll go see em. I've only gotten into them in the last year or two, and I think they're great band, but I am pretty baffled at the extent that people are losing their shit over them right now.
timpickens2
district attourney
district attourney

Postby mattw on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:06 pm

Major wrote:I don't think it's a baritone. She tunes down to C or C# I think.

They use some crazy alternate tunings! :D

I think the most common one is CRAPAH, though.

This singing of theirs- why is it so overdone? Returning with a bloated self-importance (see previous posts about CB saying that S-K are the one and only band who have made music like this) only makes them stinkier.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby El Protoolio on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:53 pm

They rock good music and inspire people. What a bunch of assholes!
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby kaleb on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:20 am

tupelo moan wrote:I've also been quite disturbed by the massive amount of asskissing displayed these few past weeks. Specially considering their "return" is not THAT exciting. By reading all the articles and compliments one would think they were this huge band back in the day. They broke up not too long ago, also. And the new album isn't all that great. I'll give it a pass, though, considering they prolly need to get their gears running.

I like the new album a lot better than The Woods, and it's got more oomph than The Hot Rock or All Hands On The Bad One though it's early and I won't say it's better than them yet. I like it more on first listen though.

I think an outsized share of the asskissing and hagiography is because Carrie Brownstein is ON TEEVEE!!! S-K really (no, really!) does have the influence and quality discography to merit the volume of press they're getting for this album, but the tone of it is often hard to bear. Celebrity worship is an annoying thing in any subculture.
kaleb
hubert humphrey
hubert humphrey

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:47 am

tmidgett wrote:Not into it. I can appreciate the reasons people like it, but I don't like listening to their music.

Didn't like 'em live.

Just never added up to anything for me, and most of the music actively bugs me.

I'm probably missing something. Like a gene.

Certainly overhyped, at least lately.

Crap, w/o a whole lot of conviction about it.

This pretty much encapsulates my feelings for this band. I have a ton of friends that love 'em, but I just can't get into it.
Last edited by AnthonyVillalobos on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby M.H on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:08 am

Horrible band, though being so shrill and so smug at the same time takes some kind of talent, I suppose.

CRAP.
M.H
cmdr. william adama
cmdr. william adama

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:54 am

El Protoolio wrote:They rock good music and inspire people. What a bunch of assholes!

No kidding. If any band deserves the hype, it's S-K. Clearly they've inspired people in a way that goes well beyond music.

My Bloody Valentine: now there was an overhyped reunion.
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap