Band: Sleater-Kinney

Crap?
27%
Not Crap?
73%

Total votes : 164

Postby dfg on Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:20 pm

Not crap for "Dig Me Out" thru "One Beat"

Have to give their latest (the Woods) a complete spin. Saw 'em with the old lady a few months ago and it was weird to see them play songs longer than 4 minutes. Good to see them trying to "go in a new direction".
dfg
junkballer
junkballer

s-k

Postby Domagoj on Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:54 pm

Hey boys, these girls are far from crap!
They are real rock'n'roll fun with inter-playing guitars plus lovely and warm shrieking.
I love 'em.

However, I was disappointed with "One Beat" and last record on Sub Pop.
They have their moments/songs but as whole albums they lack, whatever...
Overproduced and too slick for my ears.
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:33 am

I've been aware of this band for years but never checked them out. Last weekend, however, I saw them on the Henry Rollins show on IFC, and they were totally fucking great. I wish I knew what song they played--I think it was from The Woods, a great album title.

I think I want to check out these Sleater-Kinney. Is The Woods the best place to go?
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby tommydski on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:25 am

BER,

welcome to my world. :lol:

the song they played on the henry rollins show was 'jumpers'. great track. they played it on letterman last year and it was great. carrie b did her patented slow-mo high kick - much better sound than on the hr show. check it out here. unintentionally hilarious is letterman walking over and shaking their hands like they are the shaggs or something - "very nice girls" etc.

i'd check out 'call the doctor' first. there isn't really a bad album but the first one is a bit skeletal and samey so most people start at 'ctd', which is probably their best record. it has most of the classic s-k tracks including the title track, 'little mouth', 'hubcap', 'my stuff', 'i wanna be your joey ramone' etc. there isn't bad song on that whole album so start there.

the others all have their strong points. 'dig me out' benefits from a better drummer than 'ctd' and it's also the album they recorded after carrie and corin broke-up so some of the lyrics are pretty pointed. 'the hot rock' is a bit brighter in terms of sound and then 'all hands on the bad one' is the band trying to expand their sound a bit - lot's of pretty three part harmonies. it's the best one since 'ctd' too.

'one beat' was quite divisive amongst their fans. i think it was excellent but some folk thought it was a bit overly-dramatic and political. carrie and corin's voices both seemed to get a lot better on this album. 'far away' was an important song about corin's reaction to 9/11 but they shouldn't have put it at the start of the album because afterwards everything else seems pretty tame.

'the woods' is spectacular. i have no idea where this album came from. it really isn't the record you expect from a band seven albums in. it may be their extremely belated 'seattle' album and it ends up sounding like minor threat playing led zeppelin. obviously having a kid hasn't tempered corin tucker in the slightest - she sounds downright possessed on most of these tracks. carrie b has become a really sound guitarist too and janet weiss beats the living shit out her kit throughout. 'let's call it love' is a downright filthy foot-stomping monster which lurches past the ten minute mark as one of s-k's best tunes to date.

great live band too.

SLEATER-KINNEY! you are NOT CRAP and anyone that says otherwise is old and out of touch. OUT OF TOUCH!
Last edited by tommydski on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby punch_the_lion on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:27 am

How about Sleater-Kinney vs. Bikini Kill? hmm.....
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby tommydski on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:40 am

sleater-kinney - seven good albums.

bikini kill - you could probably make one good album out of all their stuff. the same goes for le tigre (it's the first album!).
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby kerble on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:59 am

tommydski wrote:.......h kick - much better sound than on the hr show. check it out here. unintentionally hilarious is letterman walking over and shaking their hands like they are the shaggs or somethin....

Total CRAP.

God I fucking dislike this band. they waste one one the finest drummers in rock on their crappy songs. Total fucking bullshit.

pack it in, Shitty-Kenny.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby gio on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:06 pm

kerble wrote:
tommydski wrote:.......h kick - much better sound than on the hr show. check it out here. unintentionally hilarious is letterman walking over and shaking their hands like they are the shaggs or somethin....

Total CRAP.

God I fucking dislike this band. they waste one one the finest drummers in rock on their crappy songs. Total fucking bullshit.

pack it in, Shitty-Kenny.

You already said this, Kerbs.

Use the search engine!
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby seaneldon on Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:30 pm

really good. not crap.
seaneldon
pauly shore
pauly shore

Postby kerble on Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:31 pm

gio wrote:You already said this, Kerbs.

Use the search engine!

I know! I read what I wrote. watched the video and came to the same conclusion.

what a great drummer!
kerble is right.
kerble

Postby Ty Webb on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:39 pm

What's the C/NC translation of "meh"?
Clueless in Chicago wrote:I'm going to stop following this thread. A bunch of D&D geeks in a basement somewhere in Oklahomma with their nuts tied around their thighs...
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby mattw on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:55 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:Last weekend, however, I saw them on the Henry Rollins show on IFC, and they were totally fucking great. I wish I knew what song they played--I think it was from The Woods, a great album title.

I saw this too. Great performance. Janet Weiss is a great drummer and the only real asset to the band, IMHO. Corin Tucker can just be irritating.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby gio on Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:56 pm

kerble wrote:

Use the search engine!

what a great drummer!

so you like quasi then?
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby gio on Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:58 pm

Ty Webb wrote:What's the C/NC translation of "meh"?

it's debatable
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby tallchris on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:04 pm

Wow, huh, I started this poll.

"The Woods" was my favorite record of 2005.

I saw them in a (relatively) small club a few months before this record came out. They played a lot of the material, and I was completely floored. How did they write this record? I was pretty surprised that it didn't alienate some of their casual fanbase, a la "Red Medicine".

So, they are still not crap.

Added bonus: they've only gotten more attractive with age.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby The Kid on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:42 pm

kerble wrote:Whatever. They are so unbelieveably overhyped by all these washed up fools with no sense of melody.

I used to believe they were the most overhyped band in the world.
Then I came to my senses, around when Hot Rock came out.
One Beat and The Woods have continued to knock my dick in the dirt.

Not Crap.
The Kid
canasta
canasta

Postby kerble on Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:40 am

gio wrote:
kerble wrote:

Use the search engine!

what a great drummer!

so you like quasi then?

I started the Poll. I dig that band. it's how I found out about S-K.

R&B Transmogrification, Featuring "Birds" and good portions of Field Studies are all exceptional bitter and wry pop music. Not Crap.
kerble is right.
kerble

Postby HOUSTON_M on Sat May 20, 2006 5:49 pm

I saw them live on 30/08/2005 in Dublin. It was the first time they came to Ireland. They were average, not very remarkable.

The long guitar solos on "Rollercoaster" by Carrie Brownstein were poorly played and unexciting yet they seemed to elicit some sort of awe in Corin Tucker.
They played "Modern Girl" - a song I find unpleasantly cloying - and I had to bear that. They also seemed a bit patronising to the audience: "Do you guys get our records over here?" one of them asked.

FOR: I like the chorus of "Jumpers" and "The Fox" is a catchy and assertive rocker.

AGAINST: There are some annoying vocal mannerisms on the "One Beat" album; the verse of "Oh!" is awful. "Step Aside" is a song-for-the-sake-of-a-song filler.

but as they've got larger seem to have slid into slightly journeywoman/career working band territory, churning it out.

Good observation, well put - The Woods is a bit like Pearl Jam's "Riot Act" in it's stodgy anti-Bush feel. I think they were empowered by that band's perceived status, i.e. commercial clout with conscience and credibility.

Not as good as they think they are, but

NOT CRAP with waffle factor of 6.
HOUSTON_M

Postby tallchris on Sat May 20, 2006 6:46 pm

HOUSTON_M wrote:The Woods is a bit like Pearl Jam's "Riot Act" in it's stodgy anti-Bush feel.

Really? Anything specific? I've listened to this record a ton and I didn't perceive anything that apparent Bush bashing. Its not like there was a song called "Bushleager" or something.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris

Postby Gramsci on Sat May 20, 2006 7:35 pm

Look people, The Killers are crap, Sleater Kinney are far from crap. Jumpers is a great track. I like the singer's warble. It sounds like a lot of female fronted New Zealand bands.

Plus Carrie is the ultimate cute indie girl, she's pruudie.

clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap