home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: Sleater-Kinney

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Band: Sleater-Kinney

Crap?
44
27%
Not Crap?
120
73%
 
Total votes : 164

Postby ctrl-s on Sat May 20, 2006 9:57 pm

Not crap. I wish they were better, but they're not actual crap. I really love about five of their songs (especially "Get Up"), which counts for a lot against a bunch of their stuff I don't like so much.
User avatar
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1948
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Ryugyong Hotel

Postby Justin Foley on Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:24 pm

Very bad news - They've announced that they're breaking up/extended haitus.

For a band that's been around as they have and just put out their best record, this sucks.

Salut Sleater Kinney!

= Justin
Justin Foley
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3055
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:16 pm
Location: NYC

Postby lil'kim on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:28 pm

so fucking sad!

a great band, and "the woods" is an amazing record
lil'kim
kukla
kukla
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:24 pm

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:48 pm

Justin from Queens wrote:Very bad news - They've announced that they're breaking up/extended haitus.

For a band that's been around as they have and just put out their best record, this sucks.

Salut Sleater Kinney!

= Justin


Sigh.
Now there's like 4 bands I actually care about left.
User avatar
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 40816
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 am
Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby ctrl-s on Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:11 pm

Out of nowhere I just got very sad about them breaking up, even though I was never hugely into them. Salut, Sleater-Kinney. I will miss you.
User avatar
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1948
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Ryugyong Hotel

Postby ctrl-s on Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:59 pm

Side note: total crackpot notion #83035196: I think "Entertain" might be addressed in part to the reunited Gang of Four -- Carrie, at least, was a fan; check the lyrics and you'll hear the parts I mean, plus the song title, duh -- but then I would think that. Anyone? Anyone? Oh never mind.
User avatar
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1948
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Ryugyong Hotel

Postby Gramsci on Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:02 pm

Christ, just as they get really good it goes tits up -eh em-.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
User avatar
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10705
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:43 am
Location: The People's Republic

Postby tallchris on Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:24 pm

ctrl-s wrote:Side note: total crackpot notion #83035196: I think "Entertain" might be addressed in part to the reunited Gang of Four -- Carrie, at least, was a fan; check the lyrics and you'll hear the parts I mean, plus the song title, duh -- but then I would think that. Anyone? Anyone? Oh never mind.


When I finally had the lyric sheet to this song, I thought it was kind of funny, since I'd just seen one of the shittiest dance bands I've had to sit through in the last three years open up for them in Bellingham.

They will be missed. My favorite northwest band of the last decade (well, after Silkworm moved to Chicago). They're playing their last show in Portland on August 11th, and I'm not missing it.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
User avatar
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Seattle

Postby johnnyshape on Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:21 pm

Gramsci wrote:Christ, just as they get really good it goes tits up -eh em-.


Surely "get really shit"?

Watching the sludgy, tuneless, rock n roll rambling that passed for a headline set at ATP this year - although that seemed to be the 'vibe' of the weekend, frankly - I sorely missed the directed choke of 'One More Hour' or the screamy guitar/voice attack they used to have. I thought the last album had good moments, but not unique moments. At its worst it sounded like mentioned-in-Detroit-dispatches crud like the Soledad Brothers. None of them looked at each other, once, in the four songs I watched.

I think Sleater-Kinney used to be great, but I'm guessing anything they had has been beaten down by the cyclic turned-pro "professional indie-rock" circuit they chose to mine. I am given to understand they, like many many other bands in all fields, have problems with not being able to stand being in the same room as each other. The tendency to ROCK as in ROCK in bands is ultimately selfish and narcissistic (that's one of the things that makes it fun), and it often manifests itself to absorb friction and prop up romantic notions of bands and solidity. I'm guessing that's what happened to the S-K, and they filtered it through their intelligence and craft into something sounding loudly girl-macho but ultimately empty and only there to perpetuate the psychic and business entity that is S-K.

That's my guess.
User avatar
johnnyshape
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4979
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:47 am
Location: London

Postby ctrl-s on Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:45 pm

johnnyshape wrote:Watching the sludgy, tuneless, rock n roll rambling that passed for a headline set at ATP this year - although that seemed to be the 'vibe' of the weekend, frankly - I sorely missed the directed choke of 'One More Hour' or the screamy guitar/voice attack they used to have. I thought the last album had good moments, but not unique moments. At its worst it sounded like mentioned-in-Detroit-dispatches crud like the Soledad Brothers. None of them looked at each other, once, in the four songs I watched.

I think Sleater-Kinney used to be great, but I'm guessing anything they had has been beaten down by the cyclic turned-pro "professional indie-rock" circuit they chose to mine. I am given to understand they, like many many other bands in all fields, have problems with not being able to stand being in the same room as each other. The tendency to ROCK as in ROCK in bands is ultimately selfish and narcissistic (that's one of the things that makes it fun), and it often manifests itself to absorb friction and prop up romantic notions of bands and solidity. I'm guessing that's what happened to the S-K, and they filtered it through their intelligence and craft into something sounding loudly girl-macho but ultimately empty and only there to perpetuate the psychic and business entity that is S-K.

I wouldn't know about any of the notions about S-K themselves in your second paragraph, but that all sounds really insightful and plausible.

I regret missing them early on. I saw them three times, in 2001, 2002, and 2005, and for me they never lived up to the evangelical hype I'd heard about them live.
User avatar
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1948
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Ryugyong Hotel

Postby alex maiolo on Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:18 pm

Gramsci wrote:Look people, The Killers are crap, Sleater Kinney are far from crap. Jumpers is a great track. I like the singer's warble. It sounds like a lot of female fronted New Zealand bands.

Plus Carrie is the ultimate cute indie girl, she's pruudie.

Image


I think so too. I like how she takes the Townsend route and plays Rickenbackers or SGs, the former not being the obvious choice. She wears these guitars well.

There's been some talk about her chops. For my money, I like players who do it with authority more than anything. She flubs notes, but most of the players I like do as well. When she does, it couldn't bother her a bit. It's all part of her style.

They are far from my favorite band, but they have tons of my respect for this reason. If Carrie gets young women to pick up the guitar because she looks cool and kicks ass in her unique way, then I say hell yes.
I'd love to look back ten years from now and think S-K had more of an influence on young musicians than No Doubt.

Janet - a credit to anyone's band. Solid as a rock. I love Quasi. I just want her to play in bands with a damn bass player.
Carrie - as I said, great to watch. Plays with authority.
Corin - I don't find her as exciting as the other two, but I have no clue how to sing, so she gets props. Clearly she lets it go, and that's pretty cool.

And I agree that breaking up at this point is not a good idea, unless they hate each other.
Didn't Corin become a mom recently?
Parenthood is the killer of rock.

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
User avatar
alex maiolo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7367
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: Chapel Hill NC (please excuse my english)

Postby Chapter Two on Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Saw them in London many moons ago with Prolapse, just after Dig Me Out came out I think. I've always liked that album and that gig was excellent, but I've never been motivated to get anything else. There's all sorts of weird shenanigans I hear about them though but I will vote on the strength of that album and gig.

Heavens To Betsy were definitely not crap however.
Last edited by Chapter Two on Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Chapter Two
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3785
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:10 pm
Location: middlesbrough cleveland england

Postby alex maiolo on Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:09 pm

Chapter Two wrote:There's all sorts of weird shenanigans I hear about them though


What are these shenanigans of which you speak?
Do they involve pillow fights? With tickling?

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
User avatar
alex maiolo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7367
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: Chapel Hill NC (please excuse my english)

Postby Chapter Two on Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:16 pm

alex maiolo wrote:
Chapter Two wrote:There's all sorts of weird shenanigans I hear about them though


What are these shenanigans of which you speak?
Do they involve pillow fights? With tickling?

-A


Possibly. No, I read an old interview from Punk Planet a while back where they were talking about being huge, massively popular, and how that had affected them, which surprised me because I had no idea that they ever were all that big. That's what I meant but I suppose it's not really a shenanigan of any sort.
User avatar
Chapter Two
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3785
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:10 pm
Location: middlesbrough cleveland england

Postby Chapter Two on Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:39 pm

Image

Sleater Kinney, Pearl jam, U2.

Can I change my vote?
User avatar
Chapter Two
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3785
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:10 pm
Location: middlesbrough cleveland england

Postby alex maiolo on Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:07 pm

Chapter Two wrote:they were talking about being huge, massively popular, and how that had affected them, which surprised me because I had no idea that they ever were all that big. That's what I meant but I suppose it's not really a shenanigan of any sort.


They got name checked on Six Feet Under in a very "see how cool we are?" way. The whole thing came off a bit suspiciously. Like when Cusack says he's going to sell 5 copies of the Beta Band's 3 EPs in High Fidelity.
I love that record, but there was something really strange about that choice.
Then I found out that their label and the movie company were the same people.

As for S-K. They are sort of off my radar, but I think they are known.
I suppose "huge" is subjective, but when you are a Kill Rock Starsy band with Warner Brothersy exposure, that's pretty big.

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
User avatar
alex maiolo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7367
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: Chapel Hill NC (please excuse my english)

Postby HOUSTON_M on Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:02 am

I think Sleater-Kinney lack the humility, maturity of ego and finer intelligence
to take their art any further than they have.

I would like to be proven wrong on this judgement.

I think they may have been weary of some of their own pretensions and the subtle treasons which affect many "left-wing" artists.

They appreciate their fans and made some exciting music so it has all been worthwhile.
HOUSTON_M
 

Postby tommydski on Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:20 pm

houston_m wrote:I think Sleater-Kinney lack the humility, maturity of ego and finer intelligence to take their art any further than they have.

that doesn't sound fair.
the last two albums were anything but the continuation of status quo and their lyrics were more pointed than ever.

and yar, this split is a result of tension between carrie b and corrie t. years of it in fact. i'm surprised they lasted this long tbh.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
User avatar
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10002
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:22 pm
Location: UK

Postby tipcat on Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:33 pm

Emphatic not crap, though I really do not like the lack of bass. I don't know how one can listen to the title cut from Dig Me Out and not be moved.
User avatar
tipcat
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2356
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Postby tallchris on Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:27 am

tommydski wrote:
and yar, this split is a result of tension between carrie b and corrie t. years of it in fact. i'm surprised they lasted this long tbh.


Do not be in bands with couples.

Especially if they break up. Of course, there are a lot of exceptions to this.

This article in the Stranger last year also suggests a lot of tension between Janet and Corin involving Corin's dedication to family over the band.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
User avatar
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Seattle

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eliya, Google [Bot], voncorn and 14 guests